Linux and Vanguard

Corporate ORphan

Recycles dryer sheets
We would like to move from Windows 8.1 to Linux before support for it runs out. Anyone use Linux to log on to Vanguard or a credit union/bank? We're thinking that as long as our Firefox browser is up to date we should be ok.
Any thoughts?
Thanks!

Generally any commercial-grade website shouldn't care what OS you're running your browser on. The browser and your Internet connection should abstract all that away and make it irrelevant.

*In theory* a poorly done website or browser could cause issues, but as long as you're dealing with mainline browsers (Firefox, Chrome, Edge, etc.) and mainline companies (Vanguard, Chase, etc.), you should be fine. And if you're using any mainline version of Linux they generally provide very good browser support.

I've used Ubuntu for around 6-8 yrs, and never had a bank problem or Vanguard or any other brokerage problem.

I picked Ubuntu (Long term support) to use for linux as it's as easy as Windows (easier really)and free, and similar so you won't hardly realize except that updates are much quicker and smooth.
I use Mozilla Thunderbird as the email client on my linux machine. But if you use an online email, you won't have any problems.

The only issue I've had is I keep a windows machine to run my tax software as I don't like doing it online and I run it on my machine.

I've used Linux and Firefox to access my Vanguard accounts with no problems.

I've been using Linux for years with Chrome, Firefox, Tor, and Opera no problems with financial web sites. Currently using Manjaro Linux with the Mate Desktop.

For email I use Thunderbird 68 and refuse to do the upgrade to 78 until they get that more refined.

I use Win 10 LTSC in Virtualbox to run the brokerage apps like Schwab StreetSmart or TD Think or Swim.

Last edited:
Been on Ubuntu/Xubuntu for 10.5 years now as my daily machine. Never had any problem using the common browsers with any financial site that I can recall (Firefox, Chrome/Chromium).

-ERD50

Mint

Thanks for the replies. We have Mint on a older pc that we were going to use to check it out. Anyone know anything about Mint? Also, do you use a security package with Linux? We have been using Eset with our Windows machines. We see they have a version for Linux.

When we asked Vanguard about Linux. They said they didn't support it but listed the browsers that they did support. I guess they just don't want to fool with it?

Speaking as a website developer, I can tell you Vanguard does not care about your OS.
They only care about the browser.

Try Ubuntu, https://ubuntu.com/download/desktop

I suggest picking the LTS (Long Term Support) version.

You can burn the iso to a dvd and then boot from it, to try it out on your existing computer without installing anything (will be slow as running from CD) Will let you see it in action.

I use clamscan for virus scanning, it' FREE, (Ubuntu has an app store to make finding and downloading things easier and safer).

I've never use Mint, so cannot comment on it.

Could go to the source:

https://investor.vanguard.com/customer-service/password-user-name-browser

Website technical support and online account access

Which browsers and operating systems work best with our website?

Keeping your browser updated is more important than which browser you choose. It can improve the speed of your device and provide more online capabilities—giving you a better overall experience

Thanks for the replies. We have Mint on a older pc that we were going to use to check it out. Anyone know anything about Mint? Also, do you use a security package with Linux? We have been using Eset with our Windows machines. We see they have a version for Linux.

When we asked Vanguard about Linux. They said they didn't support it but listed the browsers that they did support. I guess they just don't want to fool with it?

Running Linux Mint 18.3 kernel version 4.15 and logging into Vanguard with Firefox 83.0

I also have no problems with Fidelity.com

Back
Top Bottom