Looking for Apple help; some questions

Bflotomny

Recycles dryer sheets
I use a Macbook Pro (late 2011 edition) that has High Sierra. It runs without issue, no problems.
I've been looking at buying a newer model with a up to date operating system. Is it worth the money? If I stay with the current unit am I taking needless risk with an older IOS for banking or CC apps. I do use the laptop for banking and credit card payments.
I'm sure that at some point banking & CC apps will update and the MBP will become obsolete.
I'm looking at moving up to a 2015-2018 edition.

The newest Mac OS that is coming out very soon (Monterey) won't run on a MacBook Pro or MacBook Air older than 2015, or a MacBook older than 2016. So it would be worth keeping that in mind.

Whether it's worth it or not, only you can decide. But security updates for older systems are few and far between, so I would always opt for the newest available. That also gives you a long time to enjoy using it before thinking about a replacement.

I can't specifically answer your question but let me share a closely related issue I'm facing right now.

I got an email from my employer last week that anyone syncing to the work system from their personal Apple device must be running the most recent iOS on their phone and/or desktop/laptop due to security updates. If I don't update, I will lose the ability to access my work email and other work info on my personal devices. The email says if our devices are older and can't support the current iOS, we will need to replace our devices to maintain access.

I have an iPhone 7 and this might be the issue that leads me to get a new one. I haven't tried to update it yet but once I do, if it gets buggy or slow or burns through battery life more quickly than it already does, it will be time for a new phone.

I think about it this way.

An new OS comes out, which almost surely has more complexity than the previous one (because it adds or 'improves' features). Being new, it is not as thoroughly tested as the previous one. Some security hole is discovered by hackers, requiring security updates, hence the mantra to make sure your software is up to date. Since the software company needs ongoing sales, they develop new features, market a new version, rinse and repeat.

The most secure operating systems are generally UNIX based and have a steeper learning curve: https://secureblitz.com/most-secure-operating-systems/

I stick with a tried and true system until some software application I want/need requires a newer OS version. My computer is almost 10 years old (Mac mini) and no problems yet. I've had it longer than any other computer and remain satisfied.

My impression is that it is much more fruitful for a hacker to go after organizations where they can exploit a user who hasn't reset a default password, or made some other security mistake. Larger organizations generally also have more resources to exploit than an individual.

I would never use any personal device to access work resources, but the message that companies require latest OS updates for security reasons is important.

If you’re likely to have an Apple laptop for another 5-10 years, I’d recommend looking at getting a new MacBook Air. If you’re using a 10 year old laptop, I’m guessing you’re not a demanding user. I’d look over the specs, but I suspect you could get the base model and be happy. We’re coming up on the holidays, so there’s a good chance you’ll be able to find discounts. Amazon and B&H are selling the $999 base version for $929. A good place to look for Mac info is the buyer’s guide on macrumors.com.

A couple of weeks ago Amazon was selling the Air for $849, so you should be able to get at least $150 off. Maybe setup a price watch on camelcamelcamel?

I use a Macbook Pro (late 2011 edition) that has High Sierra. It runs without issue, no problems.
I've been looking at buying a newer model with a up to date operating system. Is it worth the money? If I stay with the current unit am I taking needless risk with an older IOS for banking or CC apps. I do use the laptop for banking and credit card payments.
I'm sure that at some point banking & CC apps will update and the MBP will become obsolete.

It looks like the last security update for High Sierra was in November 2020.

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201222

For casual use I wouldn’t worry, but if you are using it to access banks and such, I’d be a little uncomfortable not having the latest security patches.

MacBook Pro’s from “early 2015” and later will be supported in macOS Monterey (it comes out next Monday).

https://www.archyde.com/list-of-mac-models-that-support-macos-12-monterey/

So a machine of that vintage should be OK at least until next year for sure and maybe longer - not sure how long.

I’d consider buying one the newer Apple Silicon based MacBooks if I was getting a new one (I know used is WAY cheaper, but a new one will last a very long time). The M1 based MacBook Air would be many, many tims more powerful than a 2011 MacBook Pro and also a 2015 MacBook Pro. Of course it’s $999.

The only component of an M1 MacBook Air that wouldn’t be significantly better than the 2015 MBP would be the screen size. The Air is only 13”. Apple just introduced 14” and 16” MacBook Pro’s this week, but you’re talking much more money.

I would never use any personal device to access work resources
I'm not sure how else I can get my work email, pay stubs, benefits information, and other stuff when I'm anywhere other than at work.

Here is a link for Monterey Patcher for older non-supported Macs. You can see if it will work on your mac.
https://www.reddit.com/r/MontereyPatcher/

I am currently using the patcher for Big Sur on my 2013 mac book pro, it works great and will switch to Monterey when it is released.
It is basically an app which walks you through the update process and patches any hardware that is not compatible. (it is freeware)

I'm not sure how else I can get my work email, pay stubs, benefits information, and other stuff when I'm anywhere other than at work.

It is tricky, but doing this gives the company access to all of your data. I have a work laptop that I can use at home. If I didn’t, then I’d only access this stuff from the office or on a dedicated work device that I purchased.

I used to have work email on my phone, until my company required us to install their software on my phone for security reasons. At that point, I stopped accessing work email from my phone. If I really required access outside of work, then I’d have a separate device specifically for that purpose. Fortunately I can get by with the work laptop.

Anyways, don’t want diverge too much on this topic, since that’s not what the OP is asking.

You are using a ten year old computer. Assuming you purchased it new you got ten good years out of it. That’s almost unheard of in the Windows world.

As others have mentioned, find a good sale on a MacBook Air with the M1 chip. You can find them for $849 on sale. It will last you for many years.

You can probably get several more years out of it … the biggest thing for performance you can do is convert to a solid state drive vs what I assuming is a hard drive. This is usually a surprising experience in that performance is normally massively improved.

If you do decide to do this - or buy a new Macbook - I would buy a cheap external hard drive and make certain I had a good backup for transfer.

I think getting a new MacBook Air is an excellent suggestion. The performance of the MacBooks with Apple’s designed M1 chip far exceeds the performance of Intel CPU installed in MacBooks prior to 2020. Also, Apple only supports the last 3 generations of MacOS - which is Catalina, Big Sur and Monterey.

I've been using a 13" M1 MacBook Pro w/ 16gb memory and 1TB storage for close to a year. It's super speedy on most tasks I throw at it. Much snappier than the 2019 16" 8 core Intel i9 system I had prior that cost considerably more $$$. Trade in value is $900. It only has 2 ports so I chose to buy a wireless kb and mouse. Occasionally I'll use a dongle. The new 14/16" M1 Pro / Max models have 3 Thunderbolt 4 ports, plus sd card reader, and MagSafe. Not to mention way faster performance. They also are a lot more expensive.

Apple silicon hardware will be supported for a lot longer than Intel since it's way more powerful to start off with. On iOS the iPhone 6 from 6 years ago is still supported by the newest OS. Monterrey will still run on a MacBook Pro from 2015 but I suspect Intel support will be phased out completely by 2026 roughly 3-4 years after they discontinue the current Intel Mac Pro.

The last Mac OS to support PowerPC was Snow Leopard - August 2009. The last PPC mac - Power Mac G5 Apple sold August 2006. As a Mac user since 1994 I'd avoid Intel machines completely. Many of the laptops had a defectively designed keyboard that was prone to lots of issues. They eventually switched the design in 2019/2020. Also the Touch Bar is kind of a gimmick and now eliminated on the newest models so I'd skip any models with that too. MacBook Air M1 refurb ($849) is probably the best bang for the buck out there and should serve your needs as a non power user.

When you do get a new computer, keep the old one, and install Ubuntu on it.
This is a Unix based system (like Apple software roots).
It's very much like using Apple/Windows software, it has an windowing system that will seem quite familiar.
It comes with lots of free apps , unlike Apple/Windows.

I use the Long Term Support version as it gets updates for 5 years before I need to do an update (which is also free).
It's worth a look before you throw out the old machine.

Another suggestion:

Switch to a Chromebook.

We were dedicated Mac people but I got so fed up with OS updates, anti-virus updates, iphone syncing issues, running back-ups, etc.

We bought our first Chromebook two years ago and haven't looked back. Nearly maintenance free and covers 99.9% of what we need to do. I haven't opened my mac since the day I got my Chromebook.

If something goes wonky, you just "power wash" it which restores it to its original config. Then you log back in and it recreates everything the way you had it. Downloads all the apps, etc. They release OS updates every few weeks, takes less than two minutes and you're up to date.

I have a really nice 2-in-1 with an awesome screen/touch screen, keyboard, and speakers. It cost about $700 new.

A couple months ago we were back in the US and I bought a cheap chromebook for the house there. $225 and I get 7 years of guaranteed updates for it. Logged in and within 10 minutes my whole chrome experience was up and running. I don't bother dragging my machine back and forth now.

A few warnings:
1) It is not a PC, not a mac, and not an ipad. It has its own swipes, gestures, strengths and weaknesses. There is a learning curve.

2) It uses the Google Play store for apps and you can get great versions of the big ones (Netflix, Spotify, etc.) but can be a bit wonky because it allows Android phone apps to run on the device, which can be kludgy.

3) It does not have great MSFT app support. Yes, you can use online & app versions of MSFT Office but they are completely second rate. Moving to Chromebook really means moving to Google Apps. Which are really good (better than Office in some ways) but it is a another difference. The files app is great for working with Google Drive, but awful for connecting OneDrive.

4) You are officially in Google Land which is great for photos, notes, etc. But if you have some big tech/privacy concern with Google, this is not for you.

Just an idea.

Last edited:
If the computer has the original hard drive it is likely beyond expected life. I would say 5 years is pushing it for electronic components, but I go longer than that as well.

Following this thread.

I have a 2012 MacBook Pro running Mojave 10.14.6 and have periodic but minor daily issues such as the spiraling cursor, speed, etc. "Word" and "Excel" can be slow to load. Not having any serious compatibility issues for what I need. Wish I had stuck with High Sierra but oh well. I've known for a while I needed to buy a new "something" whether it's a MacBook Air or Pro. And I will buy the newest considering I keep them for so long. The new 16 inch Pros are basically $3k. If it too lasts me 10 years, then I got my money's worth.

I attached an external hard drive for back ups over 2 years ago...just in case I could not access the back ups on my computer in the event the drive failed.

A couple of weeks ago Amazon was selling the Air for $849, so you should be able to get at least $150 off. l?
I just bought a new MacBook Air. Computers I saw in this range that were discounted by more than $50 or so had an Intel processor instead of the new Apple M1. The M1 has some real advantages in battery life and processing speed.

The MacBook Air is $929 at Amazon, but if you are patient I’ve seen them discount it to $849. Costco will do the same.

Another suggestion:

Switch to a Chromebook.

We were dedicated Mac people but I got so fed up with OS updates, anti-virus updates, iphone syncing issues, running back-ups, etc.
Been there, done that. Actually, I ran linux on it. Worked fine for a couple of years. Finally moved back to Mac and have been much happier. But yes, for my Mom a Chromebook was fine for awhile.

The wife, on the other hand, has somehow become an iPhone-only person. I don't understand this at all. LOL

re: OP - to me, the biggest deal is the M1 chip. It is produced by Apple and their ability to fine-tune it is primarily responsible for the increased performance and battery life. Like many have said, I think it is a 10-year purchase easy. In the next week I'll probably purchase a refurb MB Air M1 w/ 16GB RAM and 512GB internal SSD. This will allow me to have all my photos/videos on my laptop vs external drive. I'll be giving up magsafe and an SD port, but there are magsafe adapters for $25 and I don't think I'll need any additional storage so I'm good. I'm used to purchasing a bit behind the wave of 'latest and greatest' in most things in life.

After trade-ins my net cost will be in the $500-600 range.

A smaller chromebook tablet (Lenovo Duet) is very handy on a trip, in a chair while you're watching the tube, or at the kitchen table. After two years of use, I know for me it will not be a substitute for Windows OS, where I have a very long period of investment in applications, experience, etc. If I had continued to use Apple I would probably have a similar opinion. If you're primary device is in need of replacement, stay with that system. My first guess is that that approach fits most people.

I don't quite understand why Apple is going back to the magsafe charger. I've had to replace mine a couple times on my '13 macbook. My wife has a newer macbook with the usb-c charger and it is much more convenient. She can charge it anywhere even the car using a phone charger. Granted it's much slower but she can still charge it. I need to carry the magsafe charger which isn't as convenient and easy to leave somewhere.
Big question is do I go with a 14" or move up to the 16"?

You can still charge the new MacBook Pros with a USB-C cable if you prefer. Customers like Magsafe because it detaches easily in case someone pulls on the cord to prevent damage.

Back
Top Bottom