Lost My Speaking Voice

easysurfer

Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...
About a week ago starting feeling run down like I was having a flu (despite having a flu shot about a month ago). A big sore throat, headache, chills then fever up to 102 that night.

Since then, fever has subsided, still lots of coughing to clear all the mucus from my chest, and .... I lost my speaking voice :(. Nothing now but a soft whisper.

Haven't seen the doctor yet but will try to today. (I hope. But a problem is since I can't speak, can't call and in the mercy of a web portal message to the office).

Before, from reading, sounds like could be bronchitis that lead to laryngitis. I've never had laryngitis before where I couldn't speak.

I live with a loud talker. Please send germs and I’ll sub him in for you.

Hope you recover soon!

Last edited:
I w*rked with a young woman who was chronically unable to speak. She eventually had to go to voice therapy for fear of it becoming permanent.

Best wishes on feeling better soon.

I get laryngitis on a regular basis. Usually lasts about a week. Once it lasted for a month :(. There is nothing the doctor can do for it. Just rest your voice. That includes not whispering.

... But a problem is since I can't speak, can't call and in the mercy of a web portal message to the office). ....

This thought occurs to me from time to time, especially since I am home alone much of the day.

What if I had to call 911, but couldn't speak? I suppose I could type something into the computer, and use "text-to-speech" capability? That would be difficult in an emergency.

Should we all carry one of those little recording devices, and have our emergency info on that? Just push a button to play a pre-recorded bit?

Like this:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B007TAATX2/ref=psdc_227758_t1_B000JG902O

-ERD50

Thanks everyone for the well wishes. I have an appointment scheduled to see my doctor, but not until around 5 pm tomorrow.

At least this way when folks ask "Did you see a doctor?" I can say yes :blush:.

This thought occurs to me from time to time, especially since I am home alone much of the day.

What if I had to call 911, but couldn't speak? I suppose I could type something into the computer, and use "text-to-speech" capability? That would be difficult in an emergency.

Should we all carry one of those little recording devices, and have our emergency info on that? Just push a button to play a pre-recorded bit?

Like this:

-ERD50

I'm going to bring along a piece of paper or card saying that I can't speak due to laryngitis so others don't think I'm rude.

Went and asked a question at a grocery store the other day and I sounded like a frog with some words missing. Then shopping at another grocery store when the cashier said thank you, I tried my best to smile and politiely walk away but reading his body language, still think he might have though I was rude for not saying anything.

My voice is something I surely took for granted until really need. Almost makes me think about learning sign language.

Like this:

-ERD50

If you call 911 from home, then the E911 system should tell the dispatcher where you are. If you don't speak, they have protocols to try and get info from you in other ways (tapping, coughing, etc), and they will still dispatch EMTs and police.

Went to see doc today. Confirmed what I expected. Upper respiratory Infection and acute laryngitis.

He said usually voice comes back in a few days. I'm in day 3 of no speak nada. He agreed that my night coughing fits probably aggravating my vocal cords and slowing recovery. Prescribed a cough suppressant as I told him the fits feel like nightly waterboarding.

Went to see doc today. Confirmed what I expected. Upper respiratory Infection and acute laryngitis.

He said usually voice comes back in a few days. I'm in day 3 of no speak nada. He agreed that my night coughing fits probably aggravating my vocal cords and slowing recovery. Prescribed a cough suppressant as I told him the fits feel like nightly waterboarding.

I hope you recover soon. There is no good time to be sick, but being sick over the holidays makes it even worse. :nonono:

I've been fighting the same thing for two weeks. Still coughing at night. OTC cough medicine is about 50% effective.

I think I'm finally shaking it, but it's one tough bug.

I'm sick, too. Its been a long time since I've had an upper respiratory infection. Lost my voice for a few days but it is better and I'm trying not to talk too much.

I hope you recover soon. There is no good time to be sick, but being sick over the holidays makes it even worse. :nonono:

Thanks. The cough suppressant help somewhat the first night. But if I was judging a scorecard, I say the coughing won out.

My plan on Thanksgiving is rest and quietly watching some football.

Thanks. The cough suppressant help somewhat the first night. But if I was judging a scorecard, I say the coughing won out.

You never notice how much you depend on your voice until you lose it.

Try some OTC multi-symptom stuff. If it helps you sleep better, you may cough less.

Hope your team isn't playing, that would make it even harder to keep quiet!

Good luck and Happy T-Day.

You never notice how much you depend on your voice until you lose it.

Try some OTC multi-symptom stuff. If it helps you sleep better, you may cough less.

Hope your team isn't playing, that would make it even harder to keep quiet!

Good luck and Happy T-Day.

Thanks. Happy T-Day to you too.

I put a note by my phone to remind myself to not try and answer if someone calls. That's one thing which I notice missing...the simple task of answering a phone.

The prescription suppressant my doc gave I can tell is working as I cough less. Though despite him saying doesn't make me drowsy does make me drowsy. Not a much as cough med with codeine though as I'd be in dreamweaver land now had I taken any of that.

Well, since being a Bears fan, no reason to worry about cheering during their games. That's one positive about them being so bad this year.

still sniffling a week after the 102 temp from whatever I had that sounds eerily similar to yours. Healthy as a horse but you wouldn't know it with the sounds, sights and such coming from me in the past week. :D

still sniffling a week after the 102 temp from whatever I had that sounds eerily similar to yours. Healthy as a horse but you wouldn't know it with the sounds, sights and such coming from me in the past week. :D

Since I can't talk, before seeing my doc, I listed out the sequence of events day by day and showed him on paper. 1) Big sore throat, 2) flu like symptoms (fever of 102, chills, feeling run down), 3) sneezing and coughing, 4) lost voice but still lots of coughing.

He said the progression I listed pretty much was textbook for URI and laryngitis.

Since I can't talk, before seeing my doc, I listed out the sequence of events day by day and showed him on paper. 1) Big sore throat, 2) flu like symptoms (fever of 102, chills, feeling run down), 3) sneezing and coughing, 4) lost voice but still lots of coughing.

Did you show him your impression of being trapped in a box?

Hope you are starting to feel better, and can talk again soon. Sounds like a great plan for today.

I am not 100% today either, so I am doing the same, minus the football.

Hope you are starting to feel better, and can talk again soon. Sounds like a great plan for today.

I am not 100% today either, so I am doing the same, minus the football.

Thanks for the well wish.

Watched a bit of football, but got boring. Hard to watch if not a big big game or not favorite team.

I can feel my voice a little better. Did make a couple of faint words by accident (then I hurry and stopped to rest it). Might have been a #$@# word :angel:.

I did some poking around and found a speak assistant app which allows me to enter and save phrases and store. So, one click away, I may something like "be back in 15 minutes" or whatever I which to save.

The app uses the default android US voice though, so is female. If I can find one that uses Morgan Freeman, then I'm in great shape. Nevertheless, can't really complain.

Update:

Spoke more than a few words first time in a about a week. Had to bring a family member to a doc and was able to speak. Though afterward voice is a bit hoarse so back to resting for me. But feels like on the mend :).

Hoping in a few this this laryngitis thing will just be an eventful several days (like getting shingles) in the rear view mirror.

Back
Top Bottom