MacOS Catalina

I'm annoyed that they discontinued Dashboard.

I upgraded my iMac, but I'll wait to upgrade my MacBook.

Upgraded to Catalina and had zero issues. My problem is with the new iTunes/Apple Music program. For a lot of different reasons all of my music downloads do not come from Apple, thus I have to add them to my iTunes library.

That “add files” functionality had been changed and I cannot figure out how to do it anymore. The import function works but it makes a mess of the tags on the files. All posts to Apple forums have been fruitless in this regard...

That “add files” functionality had been changed and I cannot figure out how to do it anymore. The import function works but it makes a mess of the tags on the files. All posts to Apple forums have been fruitless in this regard...

What format are your files?

I just tried importing an MP3 (1) by dragging the mp3 file onto the Music app icon and (2) using File > Import and selecting that mp3 file.

Both times it added the song to my music library.

I updated my 11 inch MacBook air (2015) to Catalina. The update process while a bit lengthy sailed right by any problems. MS Office 2011 is history and I have replaced it with LibreOffice.

My older 2011 iMac no longer runs the current OS. For the past two years I have been running the iMac using a SSD drive connected through a Thunderbold 2 port on the back of the iMac. It is blazingly faster than the original iMac which took 5 minutes to boot, and another 10 minutes to be usable.

I suppose for the sake of compatibility, I will have to purchase a new iMac.

^SIL couldn’t get Catalina to load on her 2011 iMac. We’re with her in the Apple store now getting her new iMac. I have a suspicion that I’ll have to get the new computer going at some point today.

I’ve had Catalina (now 15.1) for a couple of weeks and all is running well.

^SIL couldn’t get Catalina to load on her 2011 iMac. We’re with her in the Apple store now getting her new iMac. I have a suspicion that I’ll have to get the new computer going at some point today.

I’ve had Catalina (now 15.1) for a couple of weeks and all is running well.

My 2011 iMac has not be updatable to the new OS for several years. Thankfully my SSD drive has kept it usable.

Apple's website shows "Late 2012" as the oldest version of the iMac that is possibly compatible with Catalina.

Personally, I have always replaced my computer every three years, just because.

But I've been messing about with hardware and software since my 1980 Apple ][+ (48K RAM and a 5" floppy drive) so that just seems natural to me.

My 2011 iMac has not be updatable to the new OS for several years. Thankfully my SSD drive has kept it usable.

Apple's website shows "Late 2012" as the oldest version of the iMac that is possibly compatible with Catalina.

Personally, I have always replaced my computer every three years, just because.

But I've been messing about with hardware and software since my 1980 Apple ][+ (48K RAM and a 5" floppy drive) so that just seems natural to me.

Thanks - good to know. At this rate, it won't be long before I won't be able to update os in my late 2013 iMac.

What format are your files?

I just tried importing an MP3 (1) by dragging the mp3 file onto the Music app icon and (2) using File > Import and selecting that mp3 file.

Both times it added the song to my music library.

Thanks for the assist. The files are MP3’s. I tried the drag and drop and it had the same effect as the import. The songs showed up in the library but the ID3 tags were hosed. Album, artist and genre were dropped from the file and the original album track number came in as part of the song title. Perhaps I have something set wrong? Oh well I cleaned up the song tags and now they are in my iTunes/Music library.

The way the “Add to library” command used to work it brought in everything quickly and cleanly. Now that command for some reason is ghosted out on the drop down menu...

Somehow, updating iCloud, I lost my entire calendar. I have stuff from 2014 that I want to keep. I tried all the fixes, nothing worked. Applecare to the rescue. They are awesome. I asked the CS person about Catalina. She basically said NBD. Keep Mojave as long as you like. At some point I'll upgrade but I'm in no hurry.

The .1 release just came out.

Thanks - good to know. At this rate, it won't be long before I won't be able to update os in my late 2013 iMac.

Thats where I am. Makes me wonder when it would be a good time to upgrade to a new iMac. When I am on facebook, I get a lot of spinning beachballs, and am not sure if that is a reflection of the systems age or its just an issue with facebook.

Thats where I am. Makes me wonder when it would be a good time to upgrade to a new iMac. When I am on facebook, I get a lot of spinning beachballs, and am not sure if that is a reflection of the systems age or its just an issue with facebook.

There is a great program from Titanium Software called Onyx that does a really good job scrubbing the junk from the hard drive. Whenever I start getting the beach balls I run a cleaning and it does the trick. I have a mid 2012 MacBook Pro...

There is a great program from Titanium Software called Onyx that does a really good job scrubbing the junk from the hard drive. Whenever I start getting the beach balls I run a cleaning and it does the trick. I have a mid 2012 MacBook Pro...

CleanMyMac is also excellent at this.

CleanMyMac is also excellent at this.

Thanks, I downloaded the CleanMyMac software, free limited version, and it did delete about 8 MB of clutter, but even the limited version took a long time to scan and remove. I'll see how it goes before buying a full version license.

On the topic of cleaning up software/disk: I use a Mac that runs MacOS native and Windows 10 through a VM (virtual machine). I started this about a year and a half ago.

At one point early on the VM software offered to clean up disk space for me. Yikes: it whacked a bunch of stuff on the Mac side that undid things I’d been slowly working on (mostly iTunes-related). It took a while to restore/replace things.

I attribute this to “unsophisticated user” (me) syndrome but now proceed much more carefully.

On the topic of cleaning up software/disk: I use a Mac that runs MacOS native and Windows 10 through a VM (virtual machine). I started this about a year and a half ago.

At one point early on the VM software offered to clean up disk space for me. Yikes: it whacked a bunch of stuff on the Mac side that undid things I’d been slowly working on (mostly iTunes-related). It took a while to restore/replace things.

I attribute this to “unsophisticated user” (me) syndrome but now proceed much more carefully.

That's odd. I also have a Windows 10 VM (VirtualBox), but it runs in its own virtual disk and (I *thought*) had no way of reaching the host disk (my Mac drive).

That's odd. I also have a Windows 10 VM (VirtualBox), but it runs in its own virtual disk and (I *thought*) had no way of reaching the host disk (my Mac drive).

I use a Parallels VM, that may be the difference. You can set sharing options between the file systems. But they figure you know what you’re doing. :)

With the .1 release, some Logitech software was disabled, and the extra buttons on my corded mouse no longer work. Installing the new version of the drivers fails because of some security problem.

When am I going to learn to follow my advice: "Never upgrade!"

Back
Top Bottom