MacOS Catalina

Here’s something I learned that affects me as a user of Bose products that access music stored on my computer (an iMac).

It’s not new with the recent update to MacOS Catalina but to Catalina in general and more specifically changes involving the move away from iTunes to Apple Music.

I was unaware of this until I imported a new CD into Music and found it doesn’t appear in the list presented by the Bose SoundTouch app. The app is very useful when playing your library on one or more Bose speakers in your home (I’m guessing other products like Sonos offer similar functionality). The app gives access not only to your local library but streaming services.

The root cause seems to be related to an XML-based structure that iTunes used which went away in Catalina. All music I had (a lot) is still available through the SoundTouch app but not newly-imported CDs.

Looks unresolved at this time but I hope a fix will appear soon. A later posting in the discussion linked below suggests a workaround that doesn’t appear to be a fix but rather a duct tape solution.

MacOS 10.15 has also replaced iTunes with Apple Music. As a result, applications that utilize the iTunes Music Library XML file will no longer be able to function properly. With that said, if you are a SoundTouch user who has added an iTunes source then you will be affected in the following ways.

If you already configured iTunes within the SoundTouch App before updating to Catalina, you will still be able to access your music via SoundTouch after the update, however, any changes made to that music library will not be updated within the SoundTouch App. This includes moving the song files to a new location or removing iTunes all together.

https://community.bose.com/t5/SoundTouch-Speakers/MacOS-10-15-Catalina/m-p/243506#M81725

Last edited:
Its been quite a while and I still have not installed Catalina. Any of you early adopters seeing issues?

Its been quite a while and I still have not installed Catalina. Any of you early adopters seeing issues?

It’s fine.

My DF is on a delayed upgrade schedule and he upgraded to the latest version last week. He’s happy.

Here's an article that detailed some of the Catalina issues - and was recently updated in April with a comment at the top of the article. https://support.forgetcomputers.com...ding-to-macOS-10-15-Catalina#article-comments

Just upgraded yesterday to Catalina on a Mac Mini because TurboTax wouldn't run on Sierra :(

I run a windows version of Quicken (2014 - no downloading) with the help of Crossover, but now need to purchase Crossover19 (by Codeweavers) for Catalina. They have a free 14-day trial version on the website so you can try before you buy and there is a forum for Crossover.

I have not upgraded to Catalina yet because my wireless printer will not work on it and at this time I don't want to have to buy a new printer.

How old? My 2014 MBP supposedly can be upgraded, but this would not be a good time to have it go out on me.

My Mac is a late 2013, and am concerned it might slow down, aside from other potential issues.

I have not upgraded to Catalina yet because my wireless printer will not work on it and at this time I don't want to have to buy a new printer.

How did you find out it wouldn't work? I also haven't upgraded to Catalina but was thinking about going ahead.

I am running it on my 2014 Mac mini and my MacBook Air 2019. Only problem has been Norton Security, so I switched to Avira.

How did you find out it wouldn't work? I also haven't upgraded to Catalina but was thinking about going ahead.
I contacted the manufacturer of my printer and asked. Of course they would be glad to sell me a new printer that will work with Catalina.

I decided to back up some additional files and give it a shot. My MBP [MacBook Pro (Retina, 15-inch, Mid 2014)] should be fine. I don't really use any specialized or uncommon apps.

Thanks guys, I'll give it a shot.

I've been problem-free (regarding Catalina anyway) except for one or maybe two apps that weren't supported. Those have finally been updated. One was RootsMagic, a genealogy app I don't use much anyway.

Got it installed without any issues, everything works as far as I can tell. I will say the download was fairly fast, but the estimated time to install far exceeded what progress bar was showing, although I have noticed that also happening on past system updates.

the estimated time to install far exceeded what progress bar was showing, although I have noticed that also happening on past system updates.

DW has always referred to that as measuring in "Microsoft Minutes" rather than actual clock time.

I generally wait for one point release with macOS after the major versions. Seems to work for me.

The minor updates I do hit or miss unless there is a security warning with it.

After I updated to Catalina several weeks ago, the software notification icon in the doc kept indicating there was 1 update available, but when you go into the updates it indicated mac is up to date. Well, after getting tired of seeing that notification, I finally found a way to make it disappear. Anyone else updating to Catalina have this problem?

Back
Top Bottom