MacOS Catalina

Feeling very brave, I went ahead and installed Catalina on release.

So far, so good. I will miss Dashboard and had one application (Rosetta Stone, a language learning tool purchased in 2015) that didn’t survive.

I was concerned about the Windows VM I use (Parallels) but that seems fine.

I haven’t yet tried but one new feature I’m curious about is Sidecar which is advertised as allowing an iPad to be a secondary display for the Mac.

And... iTunes looks much better organized now that it’s split into pieces. Like a breakup of a previously-bloated corporation.

[ADDED] I also hoped that DigiKam, an open-source tool for working with digital images (an alternative to software like Lightroom) would work. It looks OK but I’m not using the latest major release.
We have an old iMac desktop, and we just upgraded to, High Sierra, but I think that is all I can upgrade to, how would I upgrade to Catalina on my iMac? Thank you

I upgraded this past week from High Sierra to Catalina, and it was mostly painless, taking about 45 minutes to an hour (the drive is an SSD, though, so YMMV). The warning said that only one program was incompatible, but then after starting up Catalina, a lot of the apps in the Applications folder had a circle with a line through it. None of the ones I use frequently had it, though, and it seems those were 32-bit apps that won't run in Catalina. So far, I've deleted and re-downloaded a few of them, and all the ones I've tried so far have installed a working 64-bit version.

After I updated to Catalina several weeks ago, the software notification icon in the doc kept indicating there was 1 update available, but when you go into the updates it indicated mac is up to date. Well, after getting tired of seeing that notification, I finally found a way to make it disappear. Anyone else updating to Catalina have this problem?

I have this problem too, and have tried several things to get rid of the indicator, but none have lasted more than a day. What did you do to fix?

Updated my late 2015 Retina 5K iMac yesterday. Did a backup then the install took about an hour. Painless, only had 5 apps that won't. Really only use 1 of those so downloaded the updated version and works. I'll look at the other 4 later to see if I need those or not. Also ordered 8 Gb more ram.

I have this problem too, and have tried several things to get rid of the indicator, but none have lasted more than a day. What did you do to fix?

1) Go to Finder and click Go and then click on Computer
2) Double click on Macintosh HD
3) Here you will see Library folder
4) Navigate to ~/Library/Preferences/
5) Delete (drag file to trash) com.apple.softwareupdate.plist
6) Reboot normally
7) Go into Software Update and make sure Automatic Updates is enabled. The badge should disappear.

That sounds too much like something in Windows!

Although over 7 years ago, my experience with windows was dealing with way too many problems with updates. Most of which I was unable to resolve myself. The above procedure is very easy, although it might appear intimidating to some.

1) Go to Finder and click Go and then click on Computer
2) Double click on Macintosh HD
3) Here you will see Library folder
4) Navigate to ~/Library/Preferences/
5) Delete (drag file to trash) com.apple.softwareupdate.plist
6) Reboot normally
7) Go into Software Update and make sure Automatic Updates is enabled. The badge should disappear.

Thanks, I tried that before but it came back the next day. But, sure, i'll try it again.

Thanks, I tried that before but it came back the next day. But, sure, i'll try it again.

Make sure you reboot (restart), and then go back into Update and make sure automatic updates is still checked. If not activate automatic updates.

^^^ Day 3 now, and it has not come back (on all 3 Macs in the household), so I think you have solved it. Thanks. Not sure what I did differently when I tried this before.

^^^ Day 3 now, and it has not come back (on all 3 Macs in the household), so I think you have solved it. Thanks. Not sure what I did differently when I tried this before.

Glad you're fixed. It was really bugging me on my desktop iMac.

After I updated to Catalina several weeks ago, the software notification icon in the doc kept indicating there was 1 update available, but when you go into the updates it indicated mac is up to date. Well, after getting tired of seeing that notification, I finally found a way to make it disappear. Anyone else updating to Catalina have this problem?

I know you fixed this, but I find it interesting that in the update notes for 10.15.5, just released, it includes the following:

"Fixes an issue where System Preferences would continue to show a notification badge even after installing an update"

I know you fixed this, but I find it interesting that in the update notes for 10.15.5, just released, it includes the following:

"Fixes an issue where System Preferences would continue to show a notification badge even after installing an update"

Yes, I saw that after I updated to 10.15.5 the other day. It sure took them long enough to address a very obvious widespread problem.

Had been putting the update to Catalina off, but loaded it yesterday morning. No problems so far, and like having the Podcast app on the Mac, as I really can't listen to anything on a phone speaker.

I also set up another VM with the current MacOS (Mojave) so I'll be able to run a number of older 32-bit apps that probably won't be updated to 64.

How do you create a virtual machine to run another OSX? Can you set up the VM to run the newer OSX so you can try it out without messing up your existing OS?

Use VirtualBox and install MacOS (or whatever you want) in it.

How do you create a virtual machine to run another OSX? Can you set up the VM to run the newer OSX so you can try it out without messing up your existing OS?

Same as any other VM. With Parallels Desktop (or another equivalent application) installed, you can create any number of virtual machines. Then you simply install whatever OS you want on them.

Back
Top Bottom