Mail Service? Any new findings?

Enuf

Recycles dryer sheets
I'm heading off in Sep for a year of travel (new place every 2 months) and will need an address for Fidelity, and a place to forward my mail. No relatives or friends willing/able to do it.

I read an old post from late 2007 on this topic but it said "warning, consider not bumping this to the top."

So, I did spot the RV, boating and Mexico suggestions but has anyone used the Earth Class Mail that one poster mentioned? Love the scan option.

Or are there any new ones you'd suggest?

I've used Voyagers Mail Service for over a year now and been very happy with their service, which is very personalized. They specialize in the sailing scene so they regularly deliver to people constantly moving around the globe.

If you decide to use them, tell Seth that the guy in Estonia (I'm the only one) recommended them, maybe they'll give me something. :D

Voyagers Mail Forwarding Service - Mail forwarding services for boaters and people on the move.

Trek, thanks and congrats on having the lifestyle I'm trying to get going. If I go VMFS, I'll definitely mention you to them.

I do like the scan and PDF option on Earth Class Mail.

My needs:
1. Some place to give out as mailing address.
2. Some one to destroy safely my don't care mail (statements even).
3. Some one to (very rarely = 2-3/yr) forward a letter.

VFMS seems to have a longer "satisfied customer" track record and yet Earth Class Mail seems like a high tech up and comer.

Wonder if there are others? Google doesn't find much.

This is the only other place I considered, as I wanted to keep a Florida address for certain purposes (I moved here from Florida). They are out of Bradenton.

Access USA - The Leader In Package Forwarding

Might want to check them out. They're more high tech but less personal.

Thing I like about VMFS is that I can call them up or email and actually talk to the dude that is sending out my mail. I've also on occasion asked them to forward me an item packaged and labeled in a certain way with no questions asked. They're more like having a friend doing your forwarding than a company. They also answer the phone straight away and get back to your email within hours.

Not trying to talk you into using them, just letting you know what I like about them.

Trek, I used a UPS store once and the guy running it made the service outstanding, sounds like VMFS is staffed by quality people with real care of service.

I would only give the VFMS address to Fidelity, Chase, Sprint, BCBS and pension provider. Fidelity, Chase and Sprint are paperless now but ever so often some "important notice" shows up.

Those few surprises are what worries me, like "Your Fidelity account will be donated to charity if we do not receive further guidance by next Thursday." Or "please provide a physical by Friday or health insurance terminates."

Otherwise I would give each account the address of a vacant building with squatters.

Thanks. I'm gonna chat with Seth on Monday, I'll report the results.

For normal mail holds USPS has a form online for that purpose. We are often gone a couple weeks at a time and it works beautifully. However, I am not so sure I would use them to forward mail (a service I think you can obtain for a fee), and there is no 'personal' service that I am aware of.

Brat, my situation is a bit different. I leave my rented condo at the end of July. Never to return. So my mail needs to be re-directed "somewhere" but I have no somewhere.

Will be a true vagabond for a year.

Fidelity says that is not legal because of homeland security laws and that I "MUST" have a legal residence.

Nothing that I currently get via Snail mail is worth opening. Two direct deposit confirmations, and a (rare) important notice about 2 times per year.

I would be satisfied to have my mail sent to a burning building, so it would be destroyed.

The world seems totally set up for homebodies.

The world seems totally set up for homebodies.

Yes, it is. Congrats on the very exclusive club of individuals you will be joining when you set off on your new life adventure! :)

I met one of the posters on this board during my overseas travels and he was pretty happy with Earth Class Mail. I think having a scanning option of some kind is almost mandatory for someone in your situation.

I would make sure to get an address that is a Private Mail Box (PMB) and not just a P.O. Box. You can also receive packages at a PMB and the address looks more "real": 5124 Seaside Lane #3215

You could research quickly setting up residency in a no to low tax state on your way out of the country. This partly depends on what your plans are after the year is up. Earth Class Mail was not an option for me because they do not offer a TX PMB, just a P.O. Box. The only tax free state in which they offer a PMB is Washington.

I think you should decide immediately, you are cutting it close. There could be problems with brokerages/banks and the new address -- get those address changes in. You can get your address immediately when you apply on-line for your PMB but before you can get mail from it I think you have to mail them some notarized ID documents.

Kramer

kramer,
dude, dude, nice response, tuned in you are. Exactly the points. The scanning is awesome if I'm moving each week, month, etc. Forwarding is best used for those that are at a static location or known next destination.

Notary required. I just ran into that, forward us a "notarized" (arrrrrgh, WTF) copy....... Uh, $40 fee added on.

And VERY GOOD POINT about a PMB for residency , especially for Tax Benefits. Why is it that most retirees think, "No State Income Tax" is a great thing. Almost none of us have an income. We should be looking at Washington and Florida as "States Who Do Not Tax Investment Income". Almost all others do.

Those two states exempt Dividend, Cap Gain, and Interest". That's a retiree state tax that matters. INCOME is tax free:confused:?? Who cares?

Back
Top Bottom