Maryland Bridge?

refi

Recycles dryer sheets
I posted this thread way back: http://www.early-retirement.org/forums/f38/sinus-lift-bone-graft-implant-crown-91630.html.

I still haven't gotten a sinus lift + implant + crown because I felt the ROI isn't really worth, not just monetary costs, but the multiple dentist/oral surgeon visits and recovery.

With that said, my dentist recommended a Maryland Bridge, basically an epoxied/bonded tooth rather than an implant or traditional bridge where you have shave down two adjancent healthy teeth. I would only cost me $700 out of pocket.

Anyway, it seems much cheaper, faster, and somewhat reliable. Just was curious to know if anyone has explored one.

Thanks!

I have a Maryland bridge on my bottom #26. I am right now also doing an implant at the abutment stage. The bridge was easy, the implant I started in February. It looks like it won't be completed before I go to Africa in the fall. I am extremely happy with my Md bridge, the implant has yet to be seen.

A new Potomac crossing

The title confused me. I thought the thread would be about an Outer Beltway around the DC area. I'm in favor of it.

From what I have read, as long as you have sound adjacent teeth a bridge is a good option. I'm in the process of having my 3rd implant done. In each case the tooth broke below the gum line and an implant was recommended. I would be worried that my teeth are not sound enough to support a bridge. If your dentist feels you are a good candidate for a bridge, I would go that route. I'm going to have over $11k in my 3 implants. :(

Which tooth number is being replaced ? Being that this is in lieu of a maxillary sinus lift, etc., it seems like an upper posterior tooth. Maryland bridges were initially fabricated to replace lower anterior teeth like grasshopper's #26. And like Dawg52 said, if the adjacent teeth are sound, and if the bond to those teeth are secure, it could work out just fine for you. I am a retired Dentist and made a few in my time; the bond was the limiting factor and the bonding agents used today are much better than the ones available when I practiced. Also there is more surface area on upper posterior teeth to bond on to than the lower anterior area which would lead to a higher success rate.

Best luck, Rich

The title confused me. I thought the thread would be about an Outer Beltway around the DC area. I'm in favor of it.

We definitely need another vehicle route over the Potomac! Although Point of Rocks and White's Ferry are quite nice if you have time to take the scenic route. :)

I believe this was what our dentist did for our daughter. She was missing both her maxillary lateral incisors from birth. Obviously this caused her teeth to spread with a LARGE gap in her front teeth.

Once she was old enough, she had braces to put her teeth back where they belonged. But she was too young (16) to have a permanent bridge (they wouldn’t do it until she was 18-20). So the shaved down the surface of her front teeth and first canines and adhered two “sets” of porcelain veneers....each holding a “fake tooth” in the middle.

Afterwards she received so many compliments on her smile. People would always say “Omg, where did you get such a beautiful smile?” And she would laugh and say “My dentist, Dr XXXX” [emoji23].

The veneers lasted until she had a permanent bridge at 20. I think one side might have popped off once. But 1) these were on the front teeth so took a lot of “biting” abuse and 2) I suspect the bonding has gotten better over time, as this was more than 15 years ago. Our dentist actually wrote her case up for some dental journal at the time....but I’m guessing it’s the same thing you’re looking at.

Girl had and still has the most beautiful smile in the family and receives

Back
Top Bottom