Maui wild fires

Does anyone know if the nearby (to Lahaina) Ritz-Carlton survived? Just curious, since we stayed there.

Wow - I don't watch the news so I didn't know the magnitude of the fires. donheff's pic in post #8 really puts it in perspective. I hope everyone trying to escape the island can do so safely.

Terrible! Lahaina historic downtown was such a cool place.

Does this mean no access from airport to resort areas like Kaanapali?

Oh no! The famous Lahaina banyan tree was burned too.
They were evacuating kaanapali by busses. Visitors go straight to the airport and residents go to the shelters. They evacuated 11,000 people yesterday and most are housed in the convention center or flew back to the mainland.

Does anyone know if the nearby (to Lahaina) Ritz-Carlton survived? Just curious, since we stayed there.

According to this article, it seems to be okay for now: https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/m...r-warns-prior-to-press-conference/ar-AA1f7adZ

Visitors and tourists housed at the Ritz-Carlton, Kapalua and Whalers Village in Kaʻanapali were taken to Kahului Airport this morning. Kahului Airport reported that 1,400 people stayed overnight there Wednesday while awaiting departing flights. Airlines have also added additional flights for visitors leaving Maui.

I have not heard of any major resorts being burned but they are still assessing. Most major resorts have clear space around them which would help to deter fire.

The death toll has risen significantly today and the number of destroyed buildings raised from 271 to over 1700.

In addition to the iconic banyan tree the fire destroyed the Waiola church, the oldest church in Polynesia and the site where Hawaiian royalty were buried originally. The 100+ year old Buddhist temple (Lahaina hongwanji) next door was also lost as were priceless feather cloaks and other relics from the Hawaiian Kingdom.

People at my workplace on the Big Island are just devastated by this. There are all sorts of relief efforts underway and lots of places are pitching in to collect supplies, mostly clothing, diapers, tents, sleeping bags, and coolers

People posting “missing relatives “ pictures. Sadly reminds me of 9/11. Federal Cadaver dogs coming in soon to start going thru remains.

Heard story of family of 6 that woke to fire, ran to ocean, jumped over concrete into the ocean and circled back to a “cave” under the dock for several hours. Fear many were not that quick or knowledgeable.

Sounds like there were no emergency sirens, although where I am, Upcountry, received text blast at 4:30am warning to evacuate.

People posting “missing relatives “ pictures. Sadly reminds me of 9/11. Federal Cadaver dogs coming in soon to start going thru remains.

Heard story of family of 6 that woke to fire, ran to ocean, jumped over concrete into the ocean and circled back to a “cave” under the dock for several hours. Fear many were not that quick or knowledgeable.

Sounds like there were no emergency sirens, although where I am, Upcountry, received text blast at 4:30am warning to evacuate.

The Coast Guard pulled at least 50 people from the water and they put out a call for anyone with a boat to help rescue people so there were likely many more that were picked up by private boats.

Our relative in Kihei did get notice to evacuate at one point Tuesday night but then the winds shifted and they were later told they did not need to. I'm not sure how they were notified.

The trouble with emergency sirens is that people would have thought they were tsunami warnings and just gone to high ground rather than evacuating. But yeah, I think there will be a lot of lessons learned from this one.

For their sake, I sure hope folks will still want to go. We will go as long as the authorities are actively encouraging it. We don't want to be a burden and we love to spend money while there. We have very close friends who had an art studio/shop in Lahaina. I'm sure it's all gone now. I doubt they covered for something like fire insurance at this level. Lt. Governor said they had no idea something like this could happen and were totally unprepared to handle it.
I imagine most there have emergency supplies for hurricanes, and this may get them though the short haul.

I don't think there is a shortage of supplies of any significance. And I suspect civil defense and FEMA can get supplies to Maui from other islands. While this is a shocking event in terms of the loss of Lahaina town, I think the biggest impact will be on housing and that's why I suggested they might "commandeer" hotel rooms. Obviously they can't just take them but the state can simply book them and negotiate with the hotel to book the entire property. They are already talking about booking 2000 hotel rooms very soon.

As far as coming here I think you need to balance the benefit you bring compared to the burden you are. I would neither encourage nor discourage you at this time but I don't think the area will be the paradise you expect by October.

I'm hoping the banyan survives and becomes a symbol for Lahaina of rising from the ashes. Even if just the stump is left it could possibly survive(I said hoping not expecting.)

I just became aware of this as I stay away from a lot of news too.

The WSJ has an article with extensive pictures. They are unfathomable.

Growing up in Chicago, we were well aware of the great Chicago Fire of 1871. From what I see, this may be worse. This fire is going to go down in world history.

I pray for all involved.

I did find a fundraiser on GoFundMe that looked legit. If interested you can search "Aid to Lahaina Families affected by the wildfire" or it will likely come up near the top as it is a very current event.

We had only been twice, but some very precious memories were created and just a great area.

cd : O)

Based on the photos, it looks as bad if not worse than a Hurricane. It is/was a lovely place, those folks are in our thoughts.

According to this story, the tree is badly charred but is still standing. I hope it is able to survive, too.

https://www.npr.org/2023/08/11/1193...ic-lahaina-banyan-tree-appears-still-standing

Yeah, I read that and it so encouraging. Obviously it's just a tree but if it starts showing green shoots over the next few days that would be immensely symbolic.

I've lived here long enough to know that people here pull together and help each other in emergencies so seeing what is happening is not really surprising but it is uplifting:

- The owner of a barge service saw what was happening at 9 AM Wednesday morning and offered his boat to take supplies to Maui. By 7 PM last night they had ten 40 ft containers on board, all donated by people on Oahu. It arrived in Kahului this morning.

- Locals are shuttling supplies to west Maui by boat to keep the roads open for the government response.

- Oprah Winfrey showed up at a shelter, asked what they needed, and went to Costco and bought what they needed.

- Jeff Bezos has pledged $100 million to help rebuild.

- People and organizations on the Big Island (and probably Kauai) are organizing all kinds of collection drives to help west Maui.

It's really pretty encouraging!

How did it start? I don't watch TV news either but seen it talked about on the web.

Yeah, I read that and it so encouraging. Obviously it's just a tree but if it starts showing green shoots over the next few days that would be immensely symbolic.

I've lived here long enough to know that people here pull together and help each other in emergencies so seeing what is happening is not really surprising but it is uplifting:

- The owner of a barge service saw what was happening at 9 AM Wednesday morning and offered his boat to take supplies to Maui. By 7 PM last night they had ten 40 ft containers on board, all donated by people on Oahu. It arrived in Kahului this morning.

- Locals are shuttling supplies to west Maui by boat to keep the roads open for the government response.

- Oprah Winfrey showed up at a shelter, asked what they needed, and went to Costco and bought what they needed.

- Jeff Bezos has pledged $100 million to help rebuild.

- People and organizations on the Big Island (and probably Kauai) are organizing all kinds of collection drives to help west Maui.

It's really pretty encouraging!

This is wonderful to hear. Having lived near and helped with the recovery efforts after a huge tornado disaster in Alabama, I know how meaningful it is to the survivors to see these kinds of efforts. It reminds you of how kind human beings can be! Definitely uplifting! :flowers:

Nephew has a wedding planned at Baldwin beach on Maui mid-February. They are staying close by, we are staying across the island in Kehei. All the tickets and rentals just got paid for - I'm sure it will be fine, and the locals won't mind the dosh.

How did it start? I don't watch TV news either but seen it talked about on the web.

They don't know. Wild fires are not uncommon here. This one was so bad for two main reasons - things have been very dry lately (little rain and the hurricane sucked the humidity away from the islands) and there were 65 mph winds fanning the flames.

Where I came from in Arizona lightning was a common cause of wild fire. But here arson or other human caused are more common.

For this one it is hard to even speculate since it is not clear where it started. Usually if they start near a road it is suspected to be human caused.

I should also point out that the fire was not that big compared to some on the mainland. What makes it so bad for us here is the loss of the historic town of Lahaina. We get hurricanes, tsunamis, earthquakes, etc. People are used to being without power and water for days, weeks, or even months and the state is generally prepared. But this destroyed so many homes that it will take a long time to rebuild and recover.

Nephew has a wedding planned at Baldwin beach on Maui mid-February. They are staying close by, we are staying across the island in Kehei. All the tickets and rentals just got paid for - I'm sure it will be fine, and the locals won't mind the dosh.

That's nowhere near the Lahaina area. There is a fire burning near Kihei but it is mostly contained. Kihei is fine and the locals will like your money. But some activities you may have had planned will be out.

They don't know. Wild fires are not uncommon here. This one was so bad for two main reasons - things have been very dry lately (little rain and the hurricane sucked the humidity away from the islands) and there were 65 mph winds fanning the flames.

Where I came from in Arizona lightning was a common cause of wild fire. But here arson or other human caused are more common.

For this one it is hard to even speculate since it is not clear where it started. Usually if they start near a road it is suspected to be human caused.

I should also point out that the fire was not that big compared to some on the mainland. What makes it so bad for us here is the loss of the historic town of Lahaina. We get hurricanes, tsunamis, earthquakes, etc. People are used to being without power and water for days, weeks, or even months and the state is generally prepared. But this destroyed so many homes that it will take a long time to rebuild and recover.

Thank You. Just terrible!!

All of the pictures remind me of the Paradise California fire. Blocks of buildings and vehicles all burned.

As many have said, the loss of history is probably the saddest part of the fire. The town will be rebuilt in time, but all those historic sites and buildings are gone forever.

Koolau, I was thinking about you in this devastation. Just a terrible thing to happen to the area.

Our wildfires aren't as devasting very often because of the rural setting on most fires.

Our property is on Oahu, but we too have occasionally had wild fires when it got dry. The good news is that such fires are generally located away from population centers. Also, our drought situation is almost gone now.

I'll perhaps have more to say on the wild fire subject later in regard to the Island of Maui. Suffice to say that Maui wildfires are common. Only thing not common are wildfires and high winds at the very same time.

Thanks for thinking of us, street.

On our first time ever visit to Maui last year, we spent a few delightful hours in Lahaina. Terribly sad to see the destruction and loss of life there. Also, that beautiful irreplaceable Banyan tree gone! Living in the Sedona area, the horror of wildfires is something we think of but Maui would not have been a place I thought threatened.

First time I saw the tree I thought it must be hundreds of years old as it pretty much occupied a city block. But, no, it's only a bit over 100 years old IIRC. Stuff grows fast in the Islands. Lots of water, lots of sun and always ideal growing conditions - plants love it in Paradise. (Kinda expensive to deal with all the growth because it all needs to be cut back so that human endeavors are not overrun.)

So very sad. We were just there in June and had gone last August as well. So terrible to see the destruction of places we have fond memories of. If anyone has links to trusted fund raisers let me know.

We have a trip planned to Kauai next week. So hopefully, that will be okay. Don't want to be a burden on resources, but for good or bad, the Hawaiian economy needs tourists.

Praying for all involved. Casualties could still increase as they start sifting through debris.

cd : O(

No idea how long it will take to "re-purpose" things like aircraft. I'm guessing Maui may have a brief downturn, followed by "looki-lus" and then a longer term down turn. Other Islands may then take up the slack. Total guess on my part.

Speaking of Kauai: The Fire Marshall of Kauai issued a "Red Flag" alert on Kauai regarding potential for wildfires on Kauai's leeward side.

https://www.thegardenisland.com/2023/08/08/hawaii-news/red-flag-warning-issued-for-areas-of-kauai/

Of course, there isn't much over on that side in terms of infrastructure though it is a tourist area due to the "Grand Canyon of the Pacific" as well as the na pali coast/mountains. But there are scant buildings or man-made structures at risk.

I find it interesting that the WETTEST Island in the chain issued such a warning and IF a similar one was issued on Maui, apparently no one paid attention to it - including gummint entities. Note the date of the issuance of the warning. If anyone can find a similar warning to Maui residents - who get wildfires all the time - please let me know.

I'm gonna come back to this after more research - maybe.

Last edited:

I have seen estimates that from as much as 15% but as little as 1% of Maui wildfires are caused by natural causes. MOST are likely caused by humans.

Of course, with high winds, you tend to get overhead wires touching, triggering explosion of transformers which can spark wildfires. Hard to say at this point. One thing that is NOT a surprise: Wildfires during a drought!

Back
Top Bottom