Medicare Application-that was fast and easy

RetiredAndLovingIt

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
California, The State Of Crime And Chaos.
I applied on July 6th and got an e-mail today that I was approved on July 11th and to expect my welcome package within 10-15 days.
Does it normally go that smoothly, I was expecting it to be a long process especially since I'm a naturalized citizen?

Medicare has got to be the fastest and easiest online application I've ever filled out. But Medicare is the government portion. It's the private portion - Medicare Part C, supplement or Medicare Advantage - that's the tough part.

Apparently, it was so easy that I barely remember it. I didn't do it on line. I think I'd remember that. YMMV

I applied on July 6th and got an e-mail today that I was approved on July 11th and to expect my welcome package within 10-15 days.
Does it normally go that smoothly, I was expecting it to be a long process especially since I'm a naturalized citizen?

Retired, are you talking about Medicare Part A, that everyone gets at no cost?

I am retiring next week and my company benefits end at the end of July. We (my wife and I will now need to be on Medicare Part B (along with supplemental) as of Aug 1. We applied for the Part B at the beginning of June and are still waiting to hear back from the SS Administration. I've called twice and they confirmed receipt of our applications, but they haven't been completed yet.

Welcome to real government hassle!

I am a naturalized citizen as well. When I applied in the end of 2020, I had to mail my passport to a rep assigned to my case.

You must have your passport properly registered within Social Security system before you applied.

Retired, are you talking about Medicare Part A, that everyone gets at no cost?

I am retiring next week and my company benefits end at the end of July. We (my wife and I will now need to be on Medicare Part B (along with supplemental) as of Aug 1. We applied for the Part B at the beginning of June and are still waiting to hear back from the SS Administration. I've called twice and they confirmed receipt of our applications, but they haven't been completed yet.

Welcome to real government hassle!
It says I'm enrolled for part A & B. I have not applied for a supplement plan yet since I'm not eligible for a couple of months and need my medicare number to apply as I understand it. I retired a few years ago.

It says I'm enrolled for part A & B. I have not applied for a supplement plan yet since I'm not eligible for a couple of months and need my medicare number to apply as I understand it. I retired a few years ago.
Once you get the #, you can signup at Medicare.gov or if you like you can start finding an agent who may be able to get the # right away and help you to find the best plan in your local area (it's free and paid for by the healthcare providers).

I am a naturalized citizen as well. When I applied in the end of 2020, I had to mail my passport to a rep assigned to my case.

You must have your passport properly registered within Social Security system before you applied.
I didn't know that and they never asked about my passport, they just asked for my naturalization certificate number.
I have not applied for Social Security yet.

Last edited:
For your medicare number sign into your account on ssa. You should be able to see your benefit letter which has your number. I was able to apply for the supplement and part d right away after approval. The medicare card showed up about a month later I think but knowing my number from the letter and the eligibility dates were all I needed

I’m born and bred American and applied July 3 and have not heard anything other than they got my app. No rush or concern yet. I’ve got a couple of months

For your medicare number sign into your account on ssa. You should be able to see your benefit letter which has your number. I was able to apply for the supplement and part d right away after approval. The medicare card showed up about a month later I think but knowing my number from the letter and the eligibility dates were all I needed
Thank you, I got it.
Now the hard part begins.

I’m born and bred American and applied July 3 and have not heard anything other than they got my app. No rush or concern yet. I’ve got a couple of months
I also signed up early because I fully expected and was happy to go to the back of the line and have to provide some documentation to them. Obviously they know a lot more about me than I expected but it's all good.:LOL::LOL:

I also got my first invitation to a free meal at the Golden Corral in the mail today for a Medicare seminar, probably for the Advantage plan. Depending on how much information they want from me up front, I may or may not accept.

That's better than what I've been receiving in the mail since signing up for Medicare in 2020. :D

Every couple of months I receive either advertising letters from nursing homes or offers to purchase insurance to "cover my final (eg, burial) costs." :LOL:

Jeez. I have the opposite experience. I signed up June 3 and status still says "in step 2 of 3 review". Been that way for 5 weeks. I called a few days ago and the agent says application review takes much longer than the website states. Hopefully I'll get approved soon as I lose my megacorp retiree health benefits at the end of the month.

Update-both DW and my Medicare Part B were approved and activated as of Aug 1. We are now all set to begin navigating the world of Healthcare thru Medicare and our supplement plan. I have an Echo cardiogram, scheduled for next week and I’m already getting push back from the hospital about “not accepting “ our supplement coverage. Here we go!

Update-both DW and my Medicare Part B were approved and activated as of Aug 1. We are now all set to begin navigating the world of Healthcare thru Medicare and our supplement plan. I have an Echo cardiogram, scheduled for next week and I’m already getting push back from the hospital about “not accepting “ our supplement coverage. Here we go!

I've been blessed not to have such problems. My Megacorp had "promised" that they would subsidize our health care upon retirement. They have "fiddled" with that promise a few times - insuring that WE pay more for our own health care. BUT they contracted with a benefits manager and told them they didn't want to get complaints from former employees about supplement insurance questioning every claim. I've had hundreds of claims. If Medicare says it's okay - the supplement carrier approves it too. Period.

Better luck in the future. You may need to seek prior approval - though you shouldn't have to.

It was my understanding that if a provider accepts Medicare, they must accept any Medicare Supplement that goes with it. Except in states with Medicare Select plans, which do indeed have specific in-network requirements. Is that your situation?

It was my understanding that if a provider accepts Medicare, they must accept any Medicare Supplement that goes with it. Except in states with Medicare Select plans, which do indeed have specific in-network requirements. Is that your situation?

Paunchy and Koolau, that’s exactly what I was told by the administrator of our supplemental plan. No, our state does not have that Medicare Select plan. Thanks for confirming my understanding. I think the hospital business office is confused about accepting only a certain plan under Emblem Health. I will keep you updated.

Paunchy and Koolau, that’s exactly what I was told by the administrator of our supplemental plan. No, our state does not have that Medicare Select plan. Thanks for confirming my understanding. I think the hospital business office is confused about accepting only a certain plan under Emblem Health. I will keep you updated.

Heh, heh, be nice but be firm!:cool:

The hospital does not request payment from your supplement. The hospital submits a claim to Medicare. Medicare pays what they pay and forwards that information to your supplemental policy issuer and issues an EOB to you. The supplemental policy issuer pays what they will pay directly to the hospital and also issues an EOB to you.

It isn't up to the hospital to submit a claim to or deal with your supplemental coverage.

At least that's how I understand it. I've been on Medicare + supplement for 11 years and it has worked just fine.

Last edited:
I have to do it by mid year '24.

OP here, I got an approval letter from Medicare but I still have not received my Medicare card which was supposed to arrive within 2 weeks. Tomorrow will be 1 month since my approval, do they sometimes take longer than the stated 2 weeks to arrive?
I don't need it for a couple more months yet but I'm concerned. There was one day where I got a neighbors mail but they did not get anything for me.
I was approved on July 11th.

OP here, I got an approval letter from Medicare but I still have not received my Medicare card which was supposed to arrive within 2 weeks. Tomorrow will be 1 month since my approval, do they sometimes take longer than the stated 2 weeks to arrive?
I don't need it for a couple more months yet but I'm concerned. There was one day where I got a neighbors mail but they did not get anything for me.
I was approved on July 11th.

I hope you have their phone number. You need to contact them. Everything seems to take longer with gummint systems though YMMV.

Back
Top Bottom