Medigap Plan G renewal for next year

fh2000

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
I am in California and there is a birthday rule which allows me to change policy 30 days after my January birthday. I used Senior Savings Network last year since they found the cheapest initial policy for me. Said policy has sent me a letter with 30% increase. So, maybe time to search for a new policy.

I am not sure where to search for other Plan G policies in my area, other than calling Senior Savings Network in January. Is it ethical to also call other agencies such as Boomer Benefits to search for me?

just to see what is available, do an internet search for medicare supplement plans compare.

use a site that does not require your name/email/phone to shop.

I am in California and there is a birthday rule which allows me to change policy 30 days after my January birthday. I used Senior Savings Network last year since they found the cheapest initial policy for me. Said policy has sent me a letter with 30% increase. So, maybe time to search for a new policy.

I am not sure where to search for other Plan G policies in my area...
Current California Medigap rates can be found on this CA Dept of Insurance website.
https://interactive.web.insurance.ca.gov/apex_extprd/f?p=111:31:::NO:SESSION

The national Medigap brokers you mention do not represent all companies doing business in CA. For instance, State Farm currently has the lowest Plan G rates in parts of CA but you have to buy it from a State Farm agent. Each state has Senior Health Insurance Program (SHIP) counselors who provide free, unbiased information on all Medigap plans and rates. California SHIP: https://www.shiphelp.org/about-medicare/regional-ship-location/california

Also, the CA Birthday Rule was recently extended to 60 days. Source: https://cahealthadvocates.org/medigaps-birthday-rule-is-extended-to-60-days/

I'm going to be shopping at the birthday month. Should also shop for DH. We both use one the the insurers who has the Silver Sneakers program which saved us big bucks. However, they only allow for 2 gyms in our area, one of which is too small and one is not well managed/maintained. DH and I have now joined another gym which we love, so it behooves us to shop around for the lowest cost plan although we'll have to go to G rather than stay on the F. Before I do so, will call our plans and see if maybe they will provide a credit rather than paying the gym premium...never hurts to ask.

We had State Farm Plan G in 2021, it was the lowest price, but upon renewal they raised it by $60/mo/pp paid annually. I shopped the insurance commissioners web site here in WA and found the lowest costs and then decided to go one step further and buy a HD plan G.

The lowest cost was from a carrier that took its sweet time to return my calls. It was $4/month cheaper than Premera Blue Cross. However, I have had great service from Premera which is a local insurer so we both signed up for Premera HD Plan G for $47/mo. The high deductible is not a concern. Last year my wife never met her $200 deductible, and I had a few minor surgeries and and the plan only had to spit out $500.

I really think the High Deductible plan with a $150/month/pp lower premium is better than a wash, worst case you pay $2200 more in deductible, and best case you save the $1800 in premiums pp.

Still the best way to shop is to get the state insurance comm. allowed rates and call direct.

My plan for 2022 does not renew till June 2022. It was changed when they extended the previous year's payments at the same rate for an additional 6 months due to Covid. It is the UHC AARP Plan G.

We just changed from the AARP UHC Plan G to their Plan N. We’ll save a few dollars each month, but will likely see less price increases over time. PA doesn’t allow excess charges and the occasional up to $20 copays won’t hurt us.

Back
Top Bottom