Memorial Day

Well said.

One of the photos I took at the Abraham Lincoln National Cemetery this past Friday.

Attachments

• memorial day 2017 w text.jpg
    memorial day 2017 w text.jpg
    863.1 KB · Views: 17
Last edited:
Very well said, indeed.

This is one of my Memorial Day favorites. I sang it with the choir at church yesterday. The statues of the grieving parents are particularly poignant. The man's gaze rests on the tombstone of the sculptor's son.

Agreed, well stated. For those who have actually experienced the horrors of war, on a day of memorial, we ask ourselves, why them and not us. A perplexing question, never to be answered.

Over 1 million men and women since the birth of our nation have given the ultimate sacrifice.

Agreed, well stated. For those who have actually experienced the horrors of war, on a day of memorial, we ask ourselves, why them and not us. A perplexing question, never to be answered.

So true!

I took this image at the Vietnam Memorial a few years ago.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2017-05-29 at 11.11.01 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2017-05-29 at 11.11.01 AM.png
    968.7 KB · Views: 10
I took this image at the Vietnam Memorial a few years ago.

Yes, I go there when I'm in the area because of a friend whose name is on the wall. He was in the navy and killed serving on a gun boat while patrolling a river. It's such a beautiful memorial that has reflected so many faces with tears.

I'm so thankful for our freedom (which is far from free) and honor those who have lost their lives for our freedom to live in these wonderful United States of America! I've started a tradition of donating $$ to a charity on Memorial Day and other holidays each year. I'm currently donating to the Navy Seal Foundation (my son-in-law is an active Seal). Since we are lucky enough to have managed our money well, we feel good to give back to charities we connect with and do so on the holiday itself (perfect reminder). On Veterans Day, we've been giving our daughter $100 or so to take her Seal husband out for a super nice dinner. One of the perks of saving well is giving intentionally (it's good for our soul). We use Charity Navigator to be sure the charity is well managed.
Life is good!

Last edited:
I recall from 40 years ago an overwhelming sense of sadness and loss as I looked upon the roster of the fallen on the Arizona Memorial. Against my will, tears streamed down my face. I still try to attend a ceremony on Memorial day, whether I'm in the Islands or on the mainland. It just seems so much more important than, say, the picnic I might be attending later in the day. YMMV

Back
Top Bottom