Michael Moore's message to conservatives

astromeria

Moderator Emeritus
A Liberal's Pledge to Disheartened Conservatives

November 14th, 2006

To My Conservative Brothers and Sisters,

I know you are dismayed and disheartened at the results of last week's election. You're worried that the country is heading toward a very bad place you don't want it to go. Your 12-year Republican Revolution has ended with so much yet to do, so many promises left unfulfilled. You are in a funk, and I understand.

Well, cheer up, my friends! Do not despair. I have good news for you. I, and the millions of others who are now in charge with our Democratic Congress, have a pledge we would like to make to you, a list of promises that we offer you because we value you as our fellow Americans. You deserve to know what we plan to do with our newfound power -- and, to be specific, what we will do to you and for you.

Thus, here is our Liberal's Pledge to Disheartened Conservatives:

Dear Conservatives and Republicans,

I, and my fellow signatories, hereby make these promises to you:

1. We will always respect you for your conservative beliefs. We will never, ever, call you "unpatriotic" simply because you disagree with us. In fact, we encourage you to dissent and disagree with us.

2. We will let you marry whomever you want, even when some of us consider your behavior to be "different" or "immoral." Who you marry is none of our business. Love and be in love -- it's a wonderful gift.

3. We will not spend your grandchildren's money on our personal whims or to enrich our friends. It's your checkbook, too, and we will balance it for you.

4. When we soon bring our sons and daughters home from Iraq, we will bring your sons and daughters home, too. They deserve to live. We promise never to send your kids off to war based on either a mistake or a lie.

5. When we make America the last Western democracy to have universal health coverage, and all Americans are able to get help when they fall ill, we promise that you, too, will be able to see a doctor, regardless of your ability to pay. And when stem cell research delivers treatments and cures for diseases that affect you and your loved ones, we'll make sure those advances are available to you and your family, too.

6. Even though you have opposed environmental regulation, when we clean up our air and water, we, the Democratic majority, will let you, too, breathe the cleaner air and drink the purer water.

7. Should a mass murderer ever kill 3,000 people on our soil, we will devote every single resource to tracking him down and bringing him to justice. Immediately. We will protect you.

8. We will never stick our nose in your bedroom or your womb. What you do there as consenting adults is your business. We will continue to count your age from the moment you were born, not the moment you were conceived.

9. We will not take away your hunting guns. If you need an automatic weapon or a handgun to kill a bird or a deer, then you really aren't much of a hunter and you should, perhaps, pick up another sport. We will make our streets and schools as free as we can from these weapons and we will protect your children just as we would protect ours.

10. When we raise the minimum wage, we will pay you -- and your employees -- that new wage, too. When women are finally paid what men make, we will pay conservative women that wage, too.

11. We will respect your religious beliefs, even when you don't put those beliefs into practice. In fact, we will actively seek to promote your most radical religious beliefs ("Blessed are the poor," "Blessed are the peacemakers," "Love your enemies," "It is easier for a camel to go through the eye of a needle than for a rich man to enter the kingdom of God," and "Whatever you did for one of the least of these brothers of mine, you did for me."). We will let people in other countries know that God doesn't just bless America, he blesses everyone. We will discourage religious intolerance and fanaticism -- starting with the fanaticism here at home, thus setting a good example for the rest of the world.

12. We will not tolerate politicians who are corrupt and who are bought and paid for by the rich. We will go after any elected leader who puts him or herself ahead of the people. And we promise you we will go after the corrupt politicians on our side FIRST. If we fail to do this, we need you to call us on it. Simply because we are in power does not give us the right to turn our heads the other way when our party goes astray. Please perform this important duty as the loyal opposition.

I promise all of the above to you because this is your country, too. You are every bit as American as we are. We are all in this together. We sink or swim as one. Thank you for your years of service to this country and for giving us the opportunity to see if we can make things a bit better for our 300 million fellow Americans -- and for the rest of the world.

Signed,

Michael Moore
http://www.michaelmoore.com/
============================

We shall see what the Democrats actually do. Some rank & file (& fringe-) are mad as heck.

12. We will not tolerate politicians who are corrupt and who are bought and paid for by the rich. We will go after any elected leader who puts him or herself ahead of the people. And we promise you we will go after the corrupt politicians on our side FIRST. If we fail to do this, we need you to call us on it. Simply because we are in power does not give us the right to turn our heads the other way when our party goes astray. Please perform this important duty as the loyal opposition
Looks like Moore forgot number 13!! Don't worry, I have it here for you!!!

13. In spite of the meaningless pledge to "clean up" government listed in item #12, we democrats will nominate disgraced and impeached former judge, Alcee Hastings and Abscam participant Jack Murtha, to take leadership roles in the next congress. That's because we are hypocrites of the highest order, the self righteous variety.

:LOL: :LOL: gimme a break!!!

It's hard to take a liar like Moore seriously. He should stick to making propoganda films.

Good thing it's never about "Michael Moore"'s ego............. :D :D :D

Michael Moore calling anyone "Brother" or "Sister" has to be one of the worst insults that could ever be hurled at someone.

also,

"If you stay in school, and study hard, you might make something of yourself. And if you don't... you'll end up a Michael Moore".
Ewwww, okay okay we'll do our homework. Just stop scaring us like that!

I really, really, try to avoid the political threads. But this just left me shaking my head. So (deep breath) here goes.

astromeria said:
A Liberal's Pledge to Disheartened Conservatives

November 14th, 2006

To My Conservative Brothers and Sisters,

I know you are dismayed and disheartened at the results of last week's election. You're worried that the country is heading toward a very bad place you don't want it to go. Your 12-year Republican Revolution has ended with so much yet to do, so many promises left unfulfilled. You are in a funk, and I understand.

I'm not "dismayed," "disheartened," or "in a funk." The Republicans deserved to lose that election. That does not, however, mean that the Democrats deserved to win. It just means that there weren't any other choices available in many races in my district.

Well, cheer up, my friends! Do not despair. I have good news for you. I, and the millions of others who are now in charge with our Democratic Congress, have a pledge we would like to make to you, a list of promises that we offer you because we value you as our fellow Americans. You deserve to know what we plan to do with our newfound power -- and, to be specific, what we will do to you and for you.

That's what I'm worried about.

Thus, here is our Liberal's Pledge to Disheartened Conservatives:

Dear Conservatives and Republicans,

I, and my fellow signatories, hereby make these promises to you:

1. We will always respect you for your conservative beliefs. We will never, ever, call you "unpatriotic" simply because you disagree with us. In fact, we encourage you to dissent and disagree with us.

D'you think you could stop implying that we're stupid if we do disagree with you?

2. We will let you marry whomever you want, even when some of us consider your behavior to be "different" or "immoral." Who you marry is none of our business. Love and be in love -- it's a wonderful gift.

Huh. I'm registered Republican and I don't give a flying damn who anyone sleeps with or marries, so long as all parties involved are capable of giving legal consent to the matter.

3. We will not spend your grandchildren's money on our personal whims or to enrich our friends. It's your checkbook, too, and we will balance it for you.

I wish I could believe this, I really do. But all of the social programs so many Democrats seem so fond of cost money that's got to come from somewhere. And usually, no matter which party is in power, that "somewhere" is my pocketbook.

4. When we soon bring our sons and daughters home from Iraq, we will bring your sons and daughters home, too. They deserve to live. We promise never to send your kids off to war based on either a mistake or a lie.

You're implying that y'all are perfect, that you'll NEVER make mistakes, or you'll NEVER lie. Past history suggests otherwise.

5. When we make America the last Western democracy to have universal health coverage, and all Americans are able to get help when they fall ill, we promise that you, too, will be able to see a doctor, regardless of your ability to pay. And when stem cell research delivers treatments and cures for diseases that affect you and your loved ones, we'll make sure those advances are available to you and your family, too.

You'll also make sure that the health care system doesn't have all those unintended consequences that, say, the Canadian and British ones have, right?

6. Even though you have opposed environmental regulation, when we clean up our air and water, we, the Democratic majority, will let you, too, breathe the cleaner air and drink the purer water.

We already have cleaner air and water than many third world countries, so I'm really not sure what this is meant to promise.

7. Should a mass murderer ever kill 3,000 people on our soil, we will devote every single resource to tracking him down and bringing him to justice. Immediately. We will protect you.

When you're not decimating the military, or sending troops to places like, say, Rwanda, that never actually did attack us, right?

8. We will never stick our nose in your bedroom or your womb. What you do there as consenting adults is your business. We will continue to count your age from the moment you were born, not the moment you were conceived.

Appreciate the consideration. Keep your hands out of my pocketbook, too, will you?

9. We will not take away your hunting guns. If you need an automatic weapon or a handgun to kill a bird or a deer, then you really aren't much of a hunter and you should, perhaps, pick up another sport. We will make our streets and schools as free as we can from these weapons and we will protect your children just as we would protect ours.

Thus ignoring inconvenient facts such as that crime has jumped in London since they banned protective handguns? You're not doing much to inspire confidence, here.

10. When we raise the minimum wage, we will pay you -- and your employees -- that new wage, too. When women are finally paid what men make, we will pay conservative women that wage, too.

Thus ignoring the costs of imposing that minimum wage -- like lost jobs when the employers can't afford to pay that wage and still turn a profit. It may not happen at $1 an hour more than the current minimum wage, but eventually, there is a price at which the employer can't afford to hire someone. When that happens, what are you going to do about the sudden rise in unemployment?

11. We will respect your religious beliefs, even when you don't put those beliefs into practice. In fact, we will actively seek to promote your most radical religious beliefs ("Blessed are the poor," "Blessed are the peacemakers," "Love your enemies," "It is easier for a camel to go through the eye of a needle than for a rich man to enter the kingdom of God," and "Whatever you did for one of the least of these brothers of mine, you did for me."). We will let people in other countries know that God doesn't just bless America, he blesses everyone. We will discourage religious intolerance and fanaticism -- starting with the fanaticism here at home, thus setting a good example for the rest of the world.

How about starting with the fanaticism that DID kill 3,000 of my countrymen?

12. We will not tolerate politicians who are corrupt and who are bought and paid for by the rich. We will go after any elected leader who puts him or herself ahead of the people. And we promise you we will go after the corrupt politicians on our side FIRST. If we fail to do this, we need you to call us on it. Simply because we are in power does not give us the right to turn our heads the other way when our party goes astray. Please perform this important duty as the loyal opposition.

Because you have such a stellar record of avoiding corruption in the past....?

I promise all of the above to you because this is your country, too. You are every bit as American as we are. We are all in this together. We sink or swim as one. Thank you for your years of service to this country and for giving us the opportunity to see if we can make things a bit better for our 300 million fellow Americans -- and for the rest of the world.

I hope you do. Honestly -- nothing would please me better than for SOMEONE -- Democrat, Republican, Libertarian, Martian -- to make things better for us all.

Signed,

Michael Moore
http://www.michaelmoore.com/
============================

We shall see what the Democrats actually do. Some rank & file (& fringe-) are mad as heck.

Some Republicans are, too -- hence the election results.

astromeria said:
11. We will respect your religious beliefs, even when you don't put those beliefs into practice. In fact, we will actively seek to promote your most radical religious beliefs ("Blessed are the poor," "Blessed are the peacemakers," "Love your enemies," "It is easier for a camel to go through the eye of a needle than for a rich man to enter the kingdom of God," and "Whatever you did for one of the least of these brothers of mine, you did for me.").

Does this mean that he is going to set the example and give away some of his millions first? What a buffoon.

Michael Moore is a moron, and a scruffy unwashed one at that.
Why would any thinking person care what he says/thinks? :confused:

JG

Peggy, JG, Telly, and Alex, after reading the Micheal Moore quote you probably have the same feeling inside as I do when I hear Rush Limbaugh speak. ;)

I haven't watched any of the Micheal Moore documentaries and I have no idea as to their accuracy, so I don't have an opinion about him, but there is no question that the right doesn't like him.

I did a little lobbying work on health insurance coverage for the poor in Minnesota. A few months ago the group was contacted by Moore, who is working on a possible documentary on the state of health care and health insurance in the US. We were invited to share stories. I have some concern about doing that just because he has such a reputation as being partisan. This is a shame because I think it would be great for someone to do a documentary on the healthcare system.

Mr._johngalt said:
Michael Moore is a moron, and a scruffy unwashed one at that.
Why would any thinking person care what he says/thinks? :confused:

JG

Amen brother. :p Don't care for Rush either.

peggy said:
I really, really, try to avoid the political threads.
:D From looking at the length of your post I can understand why...you must be exhausted!

I don't always like the way MM goes about setting people up in his docs, but I agree with everything said in his letter.
When stem-cell solutions become available you can be certain those that fought them will use them when they or a loved one needs them...

Michael Moore is about as "relevant" to the left as David Duke is relevant to the right. Sorta scarry just how many people soak-in their spew.

Martha said:
Peggy, JG, Telly, and Alex, after reading the Micheal Moore quote you probably have the same feeling inside as I do when I hear Rush Limbaugh speak. ;)

I haven't watched any of the Micheal Moore documentaries and I have no idea as to their accuracy, so I don't have an opinion about him, but there is no question that the right doesn't like him.

I did a little lobbying work on health insurance coverage for the poor in Minnesota. A few months ago the group was contacted by Moore, who is working on a possible documentary on the state of health care and health insurance in the US. We were invited to share stories. I have some concern about doing that just because he has such a reputation as being partisan. This is a shame because I think it would be great for someone to do a documentary on the healthcare system.

Good grief! It gives me great angst to even see you and MM
mentioned in the same paragraph, much less imagining you actually
in his physical presense. Do us all a favor and if it ever comes to pass,
please don't tell us. We prefer to maintain our illusions about you,
pristine and unsullied even as you go about saving the downtrodden.

JG

Telly said:
"If you stay in school, and study hard, you might make something of yourself. And if you don't... you'll end up a Michael Moore".
Ewwww, okay okay we'll do our homework. Just stop scaring us like that!

I don't mind ending up like Michael Moore. I certainly would not be on this site trying to figure out how to retire while I am still young.

That's a pretty entertaining pledge by MM. Actually, its just great to know that they're going to get right to work on those things. I have no reason to believe they wont, because they did in the past.

I especially liked Michael Moore's brilliant eviscerating of Charlton Heston, the NRA nutjob spokesman. That was worth an Oscar in itself. :LOL:

Zipper said:
I especially liked Michael Moore's brilliant eviscerating of Charlton Heston, the NRA nutjob spokesman. That was worth an Oscar in itself. :LOL:
Your opinion of the second ammendment aside, the fact that Micheal Moore cut and pasted statements made by Heston on different dates and places to create a misleading montage that appears to happen on the same day, that doesn't disturb you? Maybe you enjoy being misled? I know I don't, and that is what Mr Moore does - he is a propogandist and I don't like propoganda. ...to each his own. :)

peggy, great, great post.

Martha ... it isn't just that Moore is a partisan. He's a liar, plain and simple. Take a look at his #9, where he is going to help free us from the scourge of "automatic" weapons. Truth is, they've been so heavily regulated since 1934 that it is almost impossible to buy and store an "automatic" weapon. You're an attorney ... spend 10 minutes checking around, and you'll learn the truth. The BS is starting over already.

Zipper said:
If you are talking about the film where he walked into Heston's house and humiliated him it was more like a 10 year old beating up a retarded kindergartner. I'm a liberal butat least half of what MM does turns me off.

Charles said:
peggy, great, great post.

Martha ... it isn't just that Moore is a partisan. He's a liar, plain and simple. Take a look at his #9, where he is going to help free us from the scourge of "automatic" weapons. Truth is, they've been so heavily regulated since 1934 that it is almost impossible to buy and store an "automatic" weapon. You're an attorney ... spend 10 minutes checking around, and you'll learn the truth. The BS is starting over already.

Hi Charles. I agree MM is a liar and worse, but on the gun issue, and
specifically "automatic weapons", he may not know what they are.
Most bleeding heart libs. don't. Of course this doesn't prevent his rants.
But hey...........it shows that he is compassionate and that he "cares".
God save us from such.

JG

Azanon said:
That's a pretty entertaining pledge by MM. Actually, its just great to know that they're going to get right to work on those things. I have no reason to believe they wont, because they did in the past.

You forgot the smiley (again). See, some folks will think you're serious.

JG

Mr._johngalt said:
You forgot the smiley (again). See, some folks will think you're serious.

JG

Hey JG, Az is ALWAYS serious............ ;)

Back
Top Bottom