mold inspection?

steady saver

Recycles dryer sheets
I am so struggling and I'm hoping for some advice here.

I'm feeling very overwhelmed with making decisions about whether to get our home inspected for mold.
I know that may sound dumb, but honestly this has been such a hard, hard year. Deaths of family and friends, Covid and non-Covid related, and just a whole host of other issues. DH retired and it hasn't been a first year retirement nirvana we'd planned on. I'm finding it hard to make myself do things and this is one of those things I don't really want to deal with.

That said, we are in that waiting period where we're weighing whether to stay put or move. We feel stuck in some ways, waiting for our dog to die (doesn't that sound crazy? But she is old and sick and we can't travel easily and with Covid we aren't really wanting to anyway.) If we stay, our home needs some attention. We've been so busy these past few years and we have put off doing things like redoing the hardwoods (will wait until our old dog passes on until we do that), replacing the driveway, replacing the windows, landscaping, etc. I'd like to bite the bullet and do those things now, so we can be enjoying them but i'm concerned we may have mold issues. The house just smells musty, esp in the bathrooms (it's a 1940 house). Logic says that the smart thing to do is to get a mold inspection done and deal with it. My overwhelmed and fear based brain at the moment is saying "oh gosh, no, not one more thing!" The thing is, I feel like we've been sitting on this for a long while now and I have just been too afraid to know if there's a problem. (I have a friend that had mold problems years ago and it was about a $150K problem). And now that we're even questioning if we want to stay in the house or not, I'm not sure I want to even know.
I am literally immobilized, losing sleep over it, etc.

Has anyone else had this issue? Can you lend me your rational brain and help me get some perspective on this?

If your bathrooms smell musty, a mold test will almost certainly find the presence of mold. However, this is not necessarily indicating an expensive problem. There is mostly likely a leak somewhere such as around the shower, toilet, or window - the sort of thing is common and routine.

If you cannot do these repairs yourself, find a trustable contractor and have them find and fix the problem.

Stop worrying and start enjoying yourself!

The smell could even come from your bath towels... I find ours will smell after using them 3x and hanging them up.

It varies depending upon the weather, humidity, and how LONG I run the bathroom fan.

Vacuuming out the fan, helps as they clog up with dust bunnies (weird I know as they are on the ceiling but true).

Also look under your sink, maybe water is leaking slowly there.

All houses have mold.

Thank you both. No it's definitely not the bath towels though we live in a very humid are so I know what you mean.

I realized that anyone staying up until 5:00 in the morning belaboring this needs to just get the test done and get on with things.

I always feel better when we're at the farmhouse; when we come back here I will often just start feeling a low grade yuk. We had the a/c replaced a couple of years ago. It was a dinosaur of a commercial unit (don't ask why in the world that was what they used; I have no idea) and when they took it out it was definitely moldy. Ran new ductwork everywhere except for downstairs but we'd been able to look in there and it wasn't lined and didn't have visible mold. So we will see. We did have a leak under the house once from the disposal that took a while to find the source of so, who knows...maybe it's left over from that? We are on pier and beam so we figured once it was taken care of that all was okay.

You probably ought to have a reputable person inspect for mold, because whether or not you stay or sell, you’ll probably have to repair the problem if you have it. If it’s only a very small area (less than a couple of sq feet), then you may be able to wear a respirator and put bleach on it. Then make certain you repair whatever is letting moisture in. Different states may have different rules for mold and the abatement. If it’s there, and you stay, it can certainly make you sick.

Get the test. It's not just a financial risk, but a health one. If I suspected mold, and was unable to rule it out simply, I would not hesitate to get an inspection.

My cousin is an engineer living on the west side of Houston. Most of his career has been working out of a laboratory in the asbestos abatement.

Since the last big hurricane that wiped out Galveston, he has been in mold inspections. Every commercial property sold in Texas requires a mold study. He says there are asbestos inspectors everywhere, but very, very few mold inspectors. And you pay a small fortune to get a mold inspection.

Leave it alone.

His latest splurge has been Legionnares' Disease--germs in water pipes that are stubbed off. One hospital in Houston had 6 deaths in one year of patients. Taking constant samples is his future retirement income.

Mold can definitely be a severe health issue.
Take the step to get the evaluation, at least you will then know and can make further plans.

sorry about your old dog, and condolences on the deaths of family and friends. Sounds like you are going through a rough patch in life. Take care.

Thank you each so much for taking time to give me your thoughts. I appreciate them all.

We've decided to go ahead and the the mold inspection done. I found a reputable inspector (referred by a realtor friend who has used her services) who does not have the conflicting issue of also doing remediation work. I talked to her once with questions and we've called her back to set up an appt, just waiting for a call back.

I have had chronic health issues potentially related to mold in the past. It is past time to bite the bullet and get an answer. I just needed a push towards the reality that I am worth the expense of investigation and repair if needed.

Bamaman, there is a lot of truth in what you said about it being big business. I appreciate your perspective and honesty. And the fear of getting sucked into all of that has been part of what's held me back. But I do feel comfortable with the referral and I'm going to let go and try to trust the process here.

Again, many thanks to each one of you.

i'm concerned we may have mold issues. The house just smells musty, esp in the bathrooms (it's a 1940 house).

It sounds like you're already getting the inspection, so I hope that goes well.

I'm guessing a house that age probably has no ventilation fan in the bathroom. Moisture from showers and bathing can find it's way into the walls, even you don't have a leak. That can lead to musty smells and potentially mold.

Personally, I would just gut the bathroom and remodel it. Odds are you'll need to do that anyway if mold is found. It would also be easier to see if you have a leaking roof or window while things are opened up, and repair any damage. It's also a good time to replace any old galvanized pipes that are probably corroded inside.

Be sure to add a ventilation fan and USE IT every time you are in the bathroom. You might even want to put it on a timer so it keeps running a while after you're finished in the bathroom.

On the plus side, a new bathroom would help resale value, if you decide to go that route.

Also, make sure you have a vapor barrier under the house (6 mil plastic sheet). This will reduce the amount of ground moisture that enters the home. Verify you have good attic ventilation too.

Oh, and since you're worrying anyway, you may want to test for radon. :)

Mountainsoft - thanks for your ideas. Attic ventilation is good but you are definitely correct about needing to address a vapor barrier under the house. Not keen on gutting all the bathrooms. We updated 2 of them a few years ago (one was a complete gut down to the studs and floorboards) so not wanting to do that unless forced to.

NateW - Thanks so much for the link you sent! It's very helpful and if nothing else it will make us better communicators with a mold assessor. Really appreciate it.

Lots of good suggestions like under house vapor barrier, attic fans, bathroom ventilation, and mold inspection. Would it feasable to use a borescope/endoscope to check the interior walls (no insulation). Others on here have mentioned their use before and may be able to make recomendatios. It sounds like your home is fairly large if you have more than 2 bathrooms. Since I live in a very humid area I have a dehumidifier running frequently. If the house was larger I would have a few scattered around the house.

Cheers!

Thanks Badger. I looked up borescope/endoscope. I'm not clear on how one is even used.

Our house isn't huge, 2 1/2 bathrooms about 2400 square feet.
And yes, it is VERY humid. I leave closet doors open just to circulate air. We have a crawlspace in the house in a closet under the stairs and I'll often leave that door open, esp when we are gone as it can get very humid in there.

Thanks Badger. I looked up borescope/endoscope. I'm not clear on how one is even used.

Our house isn't huge, 2 1/2 bathrooms about 2400 square feet.
And yes, it is VERY humid. I leave closet doors open just to circulate air. We have a crawlspace in the house in a closet under the stairs and I'll often leave that door open, esp when we are gone as it can get very humid in there.
Do a search here on boroscope or endoscope for members who have recommended them for looking into drain pipes. Most likely they would be used to look for mold inside walls too. They may be able to give you some pointers.

Covering/sealing the ground under the house should be an easy and inexpensive job to slow down any moisture from below. Instead of leaving the inside door to the crawl space open which just increases the moisture in the house I would suggest to close it after you seal the ground and invest in a couple of electric powered crawl space vents to remove moisture from below to the outside. Easy to find in HD or Lowes. They work like the vents in your bathrooms.

Cheers!

Last edited:
If you have mold, the remediation will generally involve:

1) fixing what is causing the moisture (a spring under the house, a leaking pipe, or just lawn maintenance to keep rain water away from foundation, etc?)

2) treating the area (Clorox bleach usually does it)

3) keeping area dry (fans and dehumidifiers)

Yes, it’s probably more maintenance than you want to deal with now, but keep in mind that it’s stuff that you can do something about to fix. Health issues, on the other hand, not so much. Good luck!

Oh…be sure you get a very clear recommendation on what remediation is required, vs recommended if needed..if you are hiring someone to fix the issue, be sure to get a quote from someone else to do the remediation work….some mold companies out there are not reputable and may use it as a way to get remodeling jobs.

If you have mold, the remediation will generally involve:

1) fixing what is causing the moisture (a spring under the house, a leaking pipe, or just lawn maintenance to keep rain water away from foundation, etc?)

2) treating the area (Clorox bleach usually does it)

3) keeping area dry (fans and dehumidifiers)

Yes, it’s probably more maintenance than you want to deal with now, but keep in mind that it’s stuff that you can do something about to fix. Health issues, on the other hand, not so much. Good luck!

Oh…be sure you get a very clear recommendation on what remediation is required, vs recommended if needed..if you are hiring someone to fix the issue, be sure to get a quote from someone else to do the remediation work….some mold companies out there are not reputable and may use it as a way to get remodeling jobs.

Yes, you're right about the health issues being harder to fix and it's definitely the motivator to move forward. We don't have our appt set yet (apparently the inspector also does expert witness work and was in court) but will try again on Tuesday. We picked this company based on a recommendation and because they do NOT do remediation work themselves, only make recommendations.

A quick question.

A family member bought her first home about 2 years ago. Mold has been discovered in ther attic of her home. The attic is about 700 square feet. Since she is planning on re-roofing in 2-3 years, they suggested applying a disinfectant and a mold remediation product at this time. Other work could be done when the roof is replaced.

The price is $1800. Does that sound reasonable?

I'm not sure but it seems high just to apply a disinfectant and "mold remediation product." What exactly is this product I'm wondering? And what are they saying they think would have to be done later?

And it's not what you're asking, but something to think about is that mold just grows and multiplies over time if you don't get it all, which could lead to a bigger problem and more expense later. More importantly, though, is more risk of serious health issues. And I'm wondering about the stuff they store in the attic...

If I knew I had mold in my attic, I'd take out a loan and do what I had to do to get rid of the mold once and for all the first time. The problem just grows.

A quick question.

A family member bought her first home about 2 years ago. Mold has been discovered in ther attic of her home. The attic is about 700 square feet. Since she is planning on re-roofing in 2-3 years, they suggested applying a disinfectant and a mold remediation product at this time. Other work could be done when the roof is replaced.

I have no mold experience, other than using bleach to kill of mold in small amounts.

This attic, is this something they go into and/or store things inside, wondering how did they find the mold ?

Mold needs moisture to grow, do they have a roof leak or a lack of ventilation or some bathroom vent is venting into the attic ?

Knowing the cause is important for them to be able to stop it.

A quick question.

The reason for the mold in the attic is very likely that there is a roof leak. That needs to be taken care of first. So, if it were me, I'd replace the roof right away. While at it, make sure roof ventilation (gable vents, etc) is good, or add extra roof ventilation. THEN you can think about the mold, which, in fact, may just disappear once the moisture is cut off.

A quick question.

I posed your question to DH who had commercial construction experience, and later, roof inspections on commercial buildings for warranty coverage. He initially said, “hard to say, that depends.” When our own 2002 home developed a slow water leak in the attic that eventually began staining the ceiling and the adjacent wall, DH discovered a roofing nail embedded in the attic water pipe that eventually rusted away over 10 years and began dripping water. The home builder viewed DH’s photo evidence and agreed to repair and restore. The builder’s crew opened up the ceiling to do the pipe repair and the adjacent wall. We were concerned about mold and had an independent mold inspection and testing which turned out negative. The small section of the house was visqueened off with the adjacent window opened, chemical was sprayed, and large fans were running 24/7 to dry out the surfaces. That part took nearly 5 days. In your family member’s case, she’ll need to have a repeat mold test to certify that the mold is gone. In our case, the builder restored the ceiling and adjacent wall to its original condition.

In the end, DH thought the $1,800 estimate probably sounded about right.

I used a professional mold remediation service for a rental in Florida a few years back. It was about $3,000. I think your $1,800 is good as far as price, but are they a mold remediation company? Will they certify the remediation and guarantee it?

I want to thank all of you for you thoughts. I have printed them and forwarded them on to the owner and she will make a decision. She will get it done, she just doesn't want to get ripped off. Today's Covid environment has everybody a bit on edge, I think.

Back
Top Bottom