mom died the week she was supposed to retire.

Really. People always accused me of being stingy, "loving" money, and just wanting to get rich. I was actually the opposite. The problem is the only way you can stop being stingy, stop appearing to "love money", and stop trying to "get rich" is to be stingy (LBYM), "get intimate" with money and investing, and actually accrue a large pile of money.

I am currently being entangled I guess you could call it, with a relative who "lived life on his own terms" and thought things would "take care of themselves." Now, 40 yrs later has no g/d money, got cancer, and I have been keeping his medical insurance up the past few years. Just when I think I'm out.... they pull me back in, as Michael Corleone put it

Last edited:
Looks like you can't read the entire article unless you sign up.

If you click on the top banner you can see the entire text (and other stories), The story is actually just a few sentences. This is a site that has pictures with text that are more blog posts than articles.

Ron, is this link an ad to sign up with Tumblr? Seems any link sends you to the registration page?

I'm sorry. The picture and the short note was the complete message. I just thought it was relevant to this group.

I thought this was about the OP's mother and was ready to offer my condolences.

I love that blog and get it on my flipboard feed. That's one I hadn't seen. Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Early Retirement Forum

Really. People always accused me of being stingy, "loving" money, and just wanting to get rich.

Thanks, OP, for the clarification. That post in your original link probably has an interesting story behind it; they just haven't written it!

Razztazz, I know what you mean. Sometimes I feel defensive when I read stats on inequality and when my FB friends slam "millionaires", as if being a millionaire or a multi-millionaire automatically makes you evil. (Well, except for major sports and entertainment figures; somehow people of modest means think it's OK to pay a week's grocery budget to see them.) If you don't have a pension and you have average expenses, you better be a millionaire before you retire.

To get back to the OP's link, I hate it when people use "carpe diem" as an excuse to be irresponsible. You can enjoy some of your money along the way and be "cheap" or "stingy" on things that don't matter to you.

Razztazz, I know what you mean. Sometimes I feel defensive when I read stats on inequality and when my FB friends slam "millionaires", as if being a millionaire or a multi-millionaire automatically makes you evil.

They don't necessarily know you are a millionaire, though, unless you tell them. Even if your lifestyle befits a millionaire, which it may or may not (I have no idea!), for all they know maybe you borrowed to the hilt and are being chased by creditors.

So, if you wanted to you could just respond, "Yeah, those doggone millionaires! How they sleep at night is beyond me." :D

They don't necessarily know you are a millionaire, though, unless you tell them. Even if your lifestyle befits a millionaire, which it may or may not (I have no idea!), for all they know maybe you borrowed to the hilt and are being chased by creditors.

So, if you wanted to you could just respond, "Yeah, those doggone millionaires! How they sleep at night is beyond me." :D

I definitely don't tell them. Most would be shocked. If you've got an eye for good jewelry you might notice my Rolex on one hand and the $2,000 bracelet on the other hand underneath the sleeves of my 15 year old cotton sweater, but other than that I don't look the part. (When the rental agency issued me a lime-green Ford Fiesta to drive to my HS reunion, I thought it was so funny I pointed it out to all my former classmates. )

I just see the snide remarks on FaceBook about "the rich", though. I hope they stick to their principles when they're looking for donations for their favorite charity and don't ask any millionaires for donations.:D

I love Humans of New York. It's so amazing what's captured in just a few words. I recommend reading it. :)

Sent from my iPad using Early Retirement Forum

Back
Top Bottom