Movie Parasite That Won Academy Award (spoilers)

Thanks for this info--it helps me understand the movie better. I did not realize that Korea had such an economic divide--I though they were better on this than the U.S. I also did not realize that Korea had so much rain--but I thought the flooding part of the movie was pretty realistic and interesting.

I've been seeing a lot of USA bashing on this board recently. It is also a constant theme of many news outlets. The reporting paints everywhere else to appear as perfect utopias.

People are people. People divide. We will never all live in equal conditions.

Some of the trashiest TV out there is 90 Day Fiance. But I admit to watching it. Although many story lines are contrived or forced down a path by the producers, you at least get to see different countries in situ. There is a bit of "learning" on TLC.

Currently, there is a storyline about S. Korea and an attempt at an American woman moving there with her fiance. The economic issues are front and center on this story line as he comes from middle class, but due to his work ethic, he is drifting to lower class because by his own admission, he is "lazy."

worst movie ever made? totally subjectibe but our vote goes to ...The Panic In Needle Park. one of only two movies we've ever walked out of. the other was Gone With The Wind but we were still datimg in high school and left at what we thought was the end but what was really the intermission. we were in the lobby when we noticed that we were the only ones with our coats and heading for the door. we didn't care for the film anyway so we just kept going out the door.

we've only paid to see two movies....Bonnie & Clyde (again, HSj and the original Star Wars.

[SPOILER ALERT] The most overt "parasite" is the man who's been living, like a tapeworm, deep inside the rich people's house for years, eating their food, etc. We don't discover this character until near the end, so there are plenty of other "parasites" to ponder along the way.

IAt the end of the movie, I was left with the question as to who the actual "parasites" were - the clueless, naive ,"living in a bubble" wealthy folks OR the poor family resorting to chicanery just to survive. e.

Hmm. My understanding and appreciation of cinema has only grown through the years, especially from being married to a much older film buff.

We haven't talked to a person yet who didn't like it, but we are of the "millennial age" and our friend circles are individuals of the same ilk. So, it makes sense that a lot of people on this forum wouldn't like it - AND THAT'S OKAY. :popcorn:

For those who liked parasite, you should watch Okja. It's on netflix and made by the same director. I thought it was a nice family movie about a girl and her animal - I was wrong. :)

[SPOILER ALERT] The most overt "parasite" is the man who's been living, like a tapeworm, deep inside the rich people's house for years, eating their food, etc. We don't discover this character until near the end, so there are plenty of other "parasites" to ponder along the way.

Amethyst: Great observation and great analogy! Had not occurred to me there was yet another "parasite" in the movie. And what about the actual bugs they were trying to fumigate in their basement apartment - I guess that one was so obvious, it flew right over my head. lol!

I liked it. Really got me going. I wanted to kill the parasites.

worst movie ever made? totally subjectibe but our vote goes to ...The Panic In Needle Park. one of only two movies we've ever walked out of. the other was Gone With The Wind but we were still datimg in high school and left at what we thought was the end but what was really the intermission.

Are you kidding me? That's sacreligious - lol! GWTW is such a classic and won Best Picture in 1939. It is one of my many favorites. Vivien Leigh played the meanest, most conniving, self-serving Jezebel ever in her role as Scarlett O'Hara. She killed it, and won the Oscar for Best Actress. She must've had an excellent speech/diction coach to transition from her native British accent to the Southern drawl required. Ironically, many back then were not receptive to an English actress playing the role of a Southern belle in a U.S. produced movie and did not have a lot of confidence in her. But I can't imagine anyone but Leigh in that role. Since it has been awhile since you last saw (half of) GWTW, it might be worth a second chance?

Did not realize we have members of an age to have been in high school in 1939. That's pretty darned impressive.

worst movie ever made? totally subjectibe but our vote goes to ...The Panic In Needle Park. one of only two movies we've ever walked out of. the other was Gone With The Wind but we were still datimg in high school and left at what we thought was the end but what was really the intermission.

Are you kidding me? That's sacreligious - lol! GWTW is such a classic and won Best Picture in 1939. It is one of my many favorites. Vivien Leigh played the meanest, most conniving, self-serving Jezebel ever in her role as Scarlett O'Hara. She killed it, and won the Oscar for Best Actress. She must've had an excellent speech/diction coach to transition from her native British accent to the Southern drawl required. Ironically, many back then were not receptive to an English actress playing the role of a Southern belle in a U.S. produced movie and did not have a lot of confidence in her. But I can't imagine anyone but Leigh in that role. Since it has been awhile since you last saw (half of) GWTW, it might be worth a second chance?

OK. I finally found time to watch it this morning.

I thought it was an excellent movie and I enjoyed it. Then again, I also enjoyed Eraserhead, which is arguably more disturbing. I like movies that challenge the status quo. This one did so.

Is it worthy of best picture? Probably not. The movie tried to be too many things. It started out almost as a dark comedy, but then went to another place. Maybe that's what makes it "best," but not in my book. At least with Eraserhead you know it is all dark. I will say that the director handled this change well, changing the music from "caper music" to serious classical as the mood changed. So, yeah, overall there was some good movie-making here. I'll also add that I'm glad they didn't do an English dub.

Let me summarize what I got out of it.
Everyone has a boss. Even the richest. Everyone has servants. Even the poorest.

Everyone has someone living in a penthouse above them, even those in the penthouse (there's always one higher). Everyone living in a basement has someone living in a basement below them. Even those in the sub-basement.

In the end, how do we get along and treat each other?

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom