Multi day hotel stays

Ronstar

Moderator Emeritus
Thinking about taking a fall color road trip to the Smoky's. Probably 3 night hotel stays.

I suspect that staying all 3 nights at the same hotel would be safer than staying at 3 separate hotels?

Staying at Hampton Inn if possible.

For those who have stayed multiple nights in the same hotel since Covid - Did you have housekeeping or no housekeeping?

If at all possible, we don't stay at hotels when traveling. AirBnBs are much more pleasant and IMO safer in this COVID world. No lobby with people, no breakfast area with people, no elevators with people, etc. We look for AirBnBs that are effectively private apartments, with kitchen facilities, and good visitor reviews. We probably save a little money, too, but that is not the objective of the exercise.

With an AirBnB you can even sanitize to whatever degree you like. Just bring your Clorox bottle. On a road trip you could even haul bedding if you like.

For those who have stayed multiple nights in the same hotel since Covid - Did you have housekeeping or no housekeeping?
The same hotel is a good option. Housekeeping is nice but not necessary, easy to forego. Sounds like a good plan.

Pre-Covid on business travel, I would specifically request no housekeeping. Who needs fresh sheets and towels everyday? Hilton & Marriott were even offering points credits to forego housekeeping - so win-win.

Per earlier comments, I wouldn't do the elevator or breakfast.

If at all possible, we don't stay at hotels when traveling. AirBnBs are much more pleasant and IMO safer in this COVID world. No lobby with people, no breakfast area with people, no elevators with people, etc. We look for AirBnBs that are effectively private apartments, with kitchen facilities, and good visitor reviews.

Yep, same here, though I look for standalone cottages or cabins. They tend to offer more privacy, are quieter, and more interesting for the same (or less) money. I try to find rentals that are unique in some way (log cabin, tree house, etc), so the rental is part of the travel experience. We often rent a place that is centralized to where we want to visit, then use that as our home base to explore various areas. Actually, there are times when I'll find an AirBnB that interests me first, THEN see what there is to do in the area. It's a fun way to visit areas I otherwise would never have taken an interest in.

Hotels do work better for road trips though. Many AirBnB's have two night minimums, which doesn't work when you'll only be in an area for one night.

Sadly, we have only taken two overnight trips this year. One night in January, and one night in August. Weird year.

My experience in many Hamptons since June is no housekeeping during your multi-day stay. Essentially, you check in and no hotel staff enter room over your stay. Elevators have all been 1 family/couple at a time and everyone has complied. Breakfast is different at every hotel - I assume based on local regs. Most are a grab and go bag. We did have a normal breakfast at a Hampton in WY and it was not worth it. Too many people, not enough wearing masks. Just stick with the grab and go bag. Pools and gyms have been open in some locations. I stayed out of these. We wipe everything down with lysol as soon as we get there and have had no problems.

We have also done the AirBNB as well and agree with OS's comments. In our experience, we have selected AirBNBs usually a bit more costly than a Hampton for a specific location, larger size, washer dryer, garage, etc.

Yep, same here, though I look for standalone cottages or cabins. They tend to offer more privacy, are quieter, and more interesting for the same (or less) money. I try to find rentals that are unique in some way (log cabin, tree house, etc), so the rental is part of the travel experience. We often rent a place that is centralized to where we want to visit, then use that as our home base to explore various areas. Actually, there are times when I'll find an AirBnB that interests me first, THEN see what there is to do in the area. It's a fun way to visit areas I otherwise would never have taken an interest in.
Yes. Actually the way we do it is to display the properties with highest price first. We then scroll down past the palaces until we get to the stand-alone accommodations. And, yes, the rental is part of the travel experience. I really don't like that AirBnB has evolved towards professional hands-off hosts. Some of our more enjoyable stays have been places where we met the hosts, often gregarious people who rent as a means of meeting visitors. Sadly, those days are fading though.

We've been to the Smoky Mountains a couple of times this Summer. There is no service by housekeeping while you're there. You can ask for new towels, but that's about it.

We had no issues social distancing, and had no problems of any kind. We got take out for most meals, but did eat in the middle of the afternoon in a Cracker Barrel that was very sparsely populated.

And with so much open air, hiking in the mountains is very healthy. Never did we think we'd get COROVID from any bears. Makes for a great Staycation.

We have a cabin in the smokies in a rental program. My advice is come on a Sunday-Wednesday. It will be much more economical and enjoyable as the crowds will be much less.

JDARNELL

Thinking about taking a fall color road trip to the Smoky's. Probably 3 night hotel stays.

I suspect that staying all 3 nights at the same hotel would be safer than staying at 3 separate hotels?

Since June, I've had a lot of nights at Hilton properties, Hamptons for about half of them. Their rule is no housekeeping unless you specifically ask for it, so nobody enters your sanitized room but you.

I've been quite pleased with them.

We stayed 2 nights in Pismo, Hotel was very clean, all staff with masks, no housekeeping needed. Had the staff bring back the coffee machine.

We stayed at a Hampton Inn in Florida for 5 days and 4 nights. We saw how the hotel took a lot of precautions, and we could tell our room was well sanitized when we checked in. We chose to have housekeeping and it worked out fine.

I am not that concerned about getting infected from surfaces if one takes normal cleaning procedures. With just DW and I in the room, with a housekeeper in there at a different time and for less than an hour, I was not worried.

We have a trip coming up soon. We’re still not willing to fly yet. We’re taking our own pillowcases if not sheets and pillows, and we’re planning to decline housekeeping entirely. That wouldn’t work for a long stay, but for 2-3 days I don’t know why not. I would not stay in a bargain hotel/inn at this point, where safety precautions may not be worth the paper they’re written on.

Travel isn’t as appealing now unfortunately. We’ve done a couple day trips but we’re just tired of being cooped up, so this is our first multi day trip since Covid struck. We were planning a long trip to Nantucket this year, very disappointing to not be able to go...

Last edited:
We had to stay at a Courtyard /Marriott hotel for 3 nights in Michigan over Labor Day for a family funeral. Last minute plan. Only about 4 cars in parking lot. No lobby with people, no breakfast, no housekeeping, no elevators, etc. I would NOT use their HVAC so we slept with windows open. It was creepy - like The Shining.

No housekeeping.

Since June, I've had a lot of nights at Hilton properties, Hamptons for about half of them. Their rule is no housekeeping unless you specifically ask for it, so nobody enters your sanitized room but you.

I've been quite pleased with them.

I and we have stayed in a variety of chain hotels this year. Hilton properties were best in terms of at least marketing their sanitation processes.

But honestly, peace or mind IS the main issue.

I stayed at a Residence Inn for a little over a week when I relocated for a job in June. Hotel policy was that housekeeping wouldn’t service the room unless the guest requested it. And I didn’t request it. I just didn’t feel comfortable having someone breathing in my room or touching stuff that I might touch, even though I think the risk is minimal. When I ran out of shampoo, I went to the front desk to request more, and when the garbage got too full I put it in front of my door before going to work.

The Smokies are great this time of year. Good for you enjoying yourselves a little bit!

I would do one hotel and have no housekeeping but that's just me. To me, the less people the better but it's a pretty minor issue.

Until we get off this rock - maybe next summer - it's all DAY trips for us. Maybe when we get to Tier 2, we'll go up to the North Shore and watch some killer waves. YMMV

Just finished a week long road trip Il, In, Oh, Pa, Md, W Va, Va, NC, Tn Ky. Mostly single night hotel stays, but a 3 night stay at the Hampton Inn in Pigeon Forge, Tn. Did the Hampton Inn box breakfast to go some mornings. No housekeeping. I think I only used the elevator once. DW swabbed down the tv remote and other room items. We were masked in the hotel halls and lobby.

Did some hiking and sight seeing in the Smoky Mountains. We didn't wear masks while outside, unless we were in a crowded area. Then we masked up.

Used gas station or fast food rest rooms while on the road. Wore masks inside. Hand sanitizer or wipes to clean hands after rest rooms and pumping gas.

We usually ate breakfast through a McDonalds drive through. No lunch. Usually dinner in a restaurant. Wait staff in masks, customers no masks. We wore masks in, took them off while eating, and put them back on to leave. Restaurants were jam packed. The restaurants were the Corona achilles heal of the trip, but we are day 6 post trip with no symptoms.

Last edited:
Ronstar - good for you. You took the same precautions we took on a week long trip recently. It was nice enough then that we were able to eat outside for our meals so that helped. Sounds like you had a great trip.

Octogirl, you sure made me laugh with "It was creepy - like The Shining." :LOL:

We're going to Big Bend and S Padre (down by McAllen) for 4 nights each during January. Crossing state lines is iffy, and we've learned how to easily avoid others.

January is great for hiking in big bend- ghastly in the summer. The beaches on S Padre are pretty enough (or so I recall from 30 years ago). I can't imagine hotels being packed during Jan. but as above we are good avoiders. :D

We too have been to Gatlinburg area twice recently. And we've got a chalet rented for Thanksgiving weekend.

We did eat at Cracker Barrel mid afternoon and it were few people there. Otherwise, it was takeouts. We had not one problem distancing ourselves from everyone.

I've yet to hear of anyone getting The Virus from a bear. We feel very comfortable traveling on our terms. But we've been locked down since March, and don't plan on going anywhere in the near future. Everyday is a vacation when you're in ER.

Back
Top Bottom