Musicians and artists we lost in 2020

Looks like they missed Steve Earle's kid.

Justin Townes Earle died in August from an extremely unsurprising drug overdose. He was 38. Relatively well known in the Americana circuits for his music and of course his name.

Obviously doesn't measure up career wise to many of those those listed at the link, but he was successful enough to appear at the Grand Ole Opry and have a Rolling Stone top 50 album. I liked a few of his songs such as Ghosts of Virginia and Lone Pine Hill.

*Americana is one of my favorite genres.

Being from Nashville, I follow the music scene there. I've never seen so many downhearted people after the passing of John Prine, and they were in mourning for months online.

Mr. Prine's music was one of a kind. He was often seen driving around Nashville in vintage Cadillac convertibles, and blended into society incognito. And he was universally loved by the music industry and the fans. There will never be another music writer like him as no one else ever thought and felt like he did.

Looks like they missed Steve Earle's kid.

Justin Townes Earle died in August from an extremely unsurprising drug overdose. He was 38. Relatively well known in the Americana circuits for his music and of course his name.

Obviously doesn't measure up career wise to many of those those listed at the link, but he was successful enough to appear at the Grand Ole Opry and have a Rolling Stone top 50 album. I liked a few of his songs such as Ghosts of Virginia and Lone Pine Hill.

*Americana is one of my favorite genres.

He was on the list I was looking at. But it didn't include Leslie West or Tony Rice. I'm sure they'll update it.

I prefer a list like the following which supplies a brief sketch of the musician:
https://www.billboard.com/photos/9340722/musicians-in-memoriam-2020

It's a longer list, too. I wasn't aware of Chad Stewart's passing, or McCoy Tyner, as well as several others. But list A had Ivan Kral. I liked his work with Patti Smith in the early '70s.

As for the last man standing, among the stars of the '60s I'd bet on Roger McGuinn. I saw him perform a few years ago and he looked great. He put on a fine show, too.

I didn't know that McCoy Tyner passed. He was a superior musician and one of the best of his generation.

I once ran into an old piano player in the lobby bar at the Peabody in Memphis. He was undernourished, intoxicated and appeared in bad health. Then sat down at the piano, and genius came out of those long, skinny fingers. He was Phineas Newborn Jr., one of the top jazz piano players in NYC down on his luck--moved home.

Being from Nashville, I follow the music scene there. I've never seen so many downhearted people after the passing of John Prine, and they were in mourning for months online.

Mr. Prine's music was one of a kind. He was often seen driving around Nashville in vintage Cadillac convertibles, and blended into society incognito. And he was universally loved by the music industry and the fans. There will never be another music writer like him as no one else ever thought and felt like he did.

Yep. Although he lived in Nashville in his later years, he was a Chicago-guy through and through. My favorite memories of him reach back to the late 60's and early 70's when he was a tip jar performer at Chicago folk clubs like the Earl of Old Town and others. And he attended the Old Town School of Folk Music. Many of his songs are rooted in northern Illinois. A real blue collar citizen of a blue collar town with a lot to say in the most entertaining ways. Sure miss him.

Miss "Chicago Shorty" Steve Goodman too.

Back
Top Bottom