My DSister bought a timeshare

I used to own (30 years ago) a resale timeshare (1st week Feb) in Jackson Hole. Cost all of $1500, with a $250 annual maintenance fee. Never used it but traded it every year for years. Went to Kauai for a week, Hilo for a week and Maui for a week. (One trip, all banked weeks). Total cost all in, purchase to date, for that trip alone, was well worth the cost, which was basically pre paid stays. I even went to a presentation to get a free helicopter island tour (worth $150 even back then). The ex (now deceased) insisted she wanted it in the divorce, and I was still glad to give it to her. Same reasons listed, though for us it more or less worked worked out just fine.

Even after the rest of your life. When I read my Dad's contract, there was language in there that tried very hard to make it an asset of the estate that would have to be inherited by someone (and yes, the maintenance fees continued on to the beneficiary). Blech. :facepalm:

This doesn’t apply to the OP. My late, broke FIL had a time share at some sad, ugly resort in NV. He died and the maintenance fee bills started coming to us. At first, I wrote nasty grams on them and mailed them back. Eventually, I got tired of that and got someone on the phone with the timeshare company. I said, “Look, he’s dead and I’m never going to pay these fees.” The person was honest enough to say, “Just ignore the bills.” Now they only arrive once/year or so and go right in the trash.

On the other hand, my mother had one on Grand Cayman that we all enjoyed for years as contracted. Eventually, the building sold and she got out of it.

This doesn’t apply to the OP.

If you're not the OP, how do you know whether it applies? Timeshare contracts differ. :confused:

(To clarify, my post which you quoted was intended to rely my experience as a something that could potentially apply to some people and something to look out for.)

Last edited:
If you're not the OP, how do you know whether it applies? Timeshare contracts differ. :confused:

(To clarify, my post which you quoted was intended to rely my experience as a something that could potentially apply to some people and something to look out for.)

Pardon, I meant that my deceased FIL is not the OP’s situation. I can’t advise his sister to simply ignore the bills, as I have chosen to.

Pardon, I meant that my deceased FIL is not the OP’s situation. I can’t advise his sister to simply ignore the bills, as I have chosen to.

Ah, pardon, I misread/misunderstood your comment and read it incorrectly. Thanks.

Back
Top Bottom