My Lawn Guy Just Finished

I might have had the same guy working around my place.... But then he quit doing stuff around here.... heard he had a motorcycle wreck. sure hope he recovers and gets back to work.
So is the grass long or is DW stepping up?:cool:

I wrestle with the idea of farming out this work.

That's a good plan, my wife just works to hard mowing the lawn! We have plenty of money to hire someone to do it, but she just can't let go and spend the money. ;)

My lawn guy mowed this morning. Then he had to sit in front of the air conditioner in his boxers for a hour to stave off the heat stroke.

My lawn guy mowed this morning. Then he had to sit in front of the air conditioner in his boxers for a hour to stave off the heat stroke.

Wow, sorry to hear that - tell him to be careful, he is needed to be around ;).

Sounds like appropriate dress during the heat of summer! He should also consider taking brief cool showers now and then while he is cooling off, and sipping ice water.

My lawn gal stopped mowing for free back in 2004 when she started feeling too old to handle it any more, and instead I hired a lawn guy who has been doing it ever since at just $35/mow. He does great work and is extremely reliable. Best use for $35 I have ever seen.

Not only that, I feel like I am providing honest regular work for somebody who actually needs it. He and his assistant mow and edge full time, and working together they do a lot of lawns in our neighborhood.

I put the mower to the curb when we were moving. It was maybe 20 yo, but disappeared real fast. What little grass and weeds come up in spring can be handled with a weed whacker. I did hire 2 guys to do the steep hill. One put on a harness and attached a rope, climbed down the hill. Other guy held the rope with the first guy hanging onto the end. I am trying to avoid a repeat of that with spray weed killer.

But no mowing is great, imho.

What is that little tufty clump doing in the middle of that vast, perfect green carpet?

That is a group of three Dappled Willow bushes. It's a kind of low spot that is wetter, and the willows like wet feet; so they grow good there. The gardener planted them there on DW's request. DW likes the Dappled Willows. My yard is very flat, with little drainage, maybe 18 inches drop over several hundred feet. Closer to the house is a pallet container garden with several varieties of tomatoes and peppers (jalapenos and banana). Rest even closer to house is an area with mostly flowers around the pool and patio.

Last edited:
My lawn guy is a bit of a layabout, caught him drinking my beer and eating my peanuts multiple times. DW says he even tried to get frisky with her!

He does an excellent job though, so its likely I'll continue to use him.

I just wish I could get him to clean my garage......

I'm getting rooked out of mowing this year, 3 times thus far. Don't water and with basically no rain for the past 6 weeks equals no mower seat time or push time if looking for more exercise.

Did have a storm last week that took some trees down so had some chainsaw time, I would rather mow however!

30+ years with this lot and still enjoy mowing, yeah I'm weird.

My neighbor has about 8 acres of lawn and fields which he constantly mows.. He doesn't mow on Sunday but at least 4 days a week he is mowing somewhere. Early this season was dry and the grass growth was minimal. Didn't matter, if it grew 1/4" he was mowing.

I don't mind his property is beautiful, and his garden is fantastic.

I'll mow as long as I can. I do it for the exercise and being out doors.

My old lawn guy had to give it up due to health issues. So we’ve been using a lawn service for about ten years. They mow, mulch, trim trees and shrubs, and do spring and fall cleanups. I write one check at the beginning of the year and don’t worry about it again. If they only did snow removal, they’d be perfect.

Jacksonville Florida. I mowed my own lawn for 27 years. 2 years ago I hired a young man that was looking to make extra money and he has been my lawn guy ever since. Cut, weed whack, edge, and blow for $40 a week. Way too humid here for my aging A$$ to be mowing. :)

Mike

Our HOA cuts ours which is included in our monthly fee. I sometimes think I could do a better job. When I think that I sit down until the thought passes and watch someone else cut my grass. Nice after 50 years of cutting grass.

Jacksonville Florida. I mowed my own lawn for 27 years. 2 years ago I hired a young man that was looking to make extra money and he has been my lawn guy ever since. Cut, weed whack, edge, and blow for $40 a week. Way too humid here for my aging A$$ to be mowing. :)

Mike

I'm in your same area and had someone who did a great job for $200/month (4 mows). I even gave him my year old lawn mower for one month of mowing. Then a year later he disappeared and I never knew what happened to him. I spent the next couple of months trying to hire a service but everything was $250 to $300+ just to mow. Not a bad price for St Augustine grass that from June to September grows a few inches a week but I was hoping to find a better deal. Eventually I got lucky and found my present service for $200/month to mow, edge, blow the clippings, pick up fallen palm fronds and trim a few bushes. During Dec, Jan, Feb he only charges me $100 since the grass only needs mowing twice a month. That is a great deal around here now!

Cheers!

I would like to pay someone to do it but it's too expensive for me. I have less than a half acre and with a self propelled mower it takes me an hour and fifteen minutes of actual mowing time spread out over at least 2 hours with breaks. I'm sore for days after mowing so don't do it very often. I went 3 weeks between the last two mowings. I get no enjoyment out of it. Clearing snow is worse though. I may have to move to an apartment or condo soon.

My neighbor has about 8 acres of lawn and fields which he constantly mows.. He doesn't mow on Sunday but at least 4 days a week he is mowing somewhere. Early this season was dry and the grass growth was minimal. Didn't matter, if it grew 1/4" he was mowing.

I don't mind his property is beautiful, and his garden is fantastic.

I can't stand neighbors who mow every couple days. You can't even tell where he mowed and where he didn't. Very inconsiderate noise pollution IMO. At least use a battery powered mower so it doesn't bother the entire neighborhood if you are going to mow so much more than what is actually needed.

We are in a drought, and the grass is brown and dormant. With two-plus acres of lawn that isn’t in sight of the public, there is no incentive to water. I kinda miss mowing, but mowing with an old John Deere lawn tractor is different than a push mower. When I was a kid, my dad made me mow with a manual rotary push mower because he thought gas mowers were too dangerous. Thankfully, that was a much smaller city lot. I hated that job, and the fact that we were the only people with a manual mower.

I don't mind the sound of mowers, although I never start using mine before 9am in consideration of my neighbors. From April to the end of June around here, I might need to mow every four to five days. It slows down over the summer and picks up again in the fall.

My mower guy mowed with a push reel mower when he was a kid, then graduated to a 19" gas powered push. He w*rked at a hardware store in high school and college, and he bought my DF a brand new self propelled Lawn Boy from the hardware when I moved out in December '80. He and my brother cut grass with it until 2000. I bought a house in '84 and have been cutting the lawn since. The lawn guy has been cutting my 3 rentals since 1999, 2001, and 2014. But he's getting lazy and might need replaced.

Our HOA cuts ours which is included in our monthly fee. I sometimes think I could do a better job. When I think that I sit down until the thought passes and watch someone else cut my grass. Nice after 50 years of cutting grass.

When I was working, I had someone cutting my lawn for me. At first, I thought it wouldn’t work out because I was particular about my lawn. Funny thing was that once I wasn’t looking at every inch of my lawn up close it stopped mattering how well it was cut. I’d just pull in the driveway and be happy it got mowed that day.

Piker. My lawn gal jumps into the 95-degree pool with no boxers.

Looks nice and you’re lucky to have someone do it. Really/ do you need that much lawn? For what?

Glad to have a .2 acre postage stamp lot and the HOA mows it, fertilizes it and does weed and grub control. Also in the mulch bed and crushed stone.

Haven’t owned a lawn mower now in the three years since we moved.

Back
Top Bottom