My New Electric Bike

I am thinking of a two bike solution:

An 'ordinary' bike for journeys that are no more than 15-20 miles and on relatively flat trails and roads. I doubt if I will ride much farther than 20 miles in any one day. And for when I ride as part of my 'cardio' workout.

A bike with electric assist for hilly areas which are common in my area.

The more I think about it, it's not the distance it's the hills.

Last edited:
Any recommendations on sites that review electric bikes? Seems that the number of companies making them is increasing. I am in the market for one to keep up with my husband and do longer distances without worrying about hills and stamina. I have been waiting for bike weight to come down to around 35 lbs.

Any recommendations on sites that review electric bikes? Seems that the number of companies making them is increasing. I am in the market for one to keep up with my husband and do longer distances without worrying about hills and stamina. I have been waiting for bike weight to come down to around 35 lbs.

https://electricbikereview.com/ is an excellent site. He has lots of information and detailed video reviews of many e-bikes.

I know nothing about these but here's one in the 35lb range. The one in the video is only a single speed but the reviewer says they have a 7 speed for $200 more. I could see myself on something like this. I was riding my bike earlier this week on the coast and got in a good head wind on a 3-4 mile stretch. One of these would have been nice. Would come in handy on hills at my MS home.

I was riding my bike earlier this week on the coast and got in a good head wind on a 3-4 mile stretch. One of these would have been nice. Would come in handy on hills at my MS home.

That is also one of my issues. I live in a very hilly area. Sometimes I ride for exercise, and I don't mind some of the hills at that time as it helps to get a good workout. But, I also ride for pleasure and the hills (many of which are steep (20%+ grades), are tough, especially if the wind is blowing the wrong way.

Apologies for pushing this thread up again.

I am looking at buying a folding e bike as it will fit in the back of my car (electric) so I can take it to national parks etc and ride it on bike paths. With a non folding bike, I am stuck closer to home.

Anyone have any thoughts on this?

I am looking at buying a folding e bike as it will fit in the back of my car (electric) so I can take it to national parks etc and ride it on bike paths. With a non folding bike, I am stuck closer to home.

If the advantages of a regular bike (fat tires, etc) outweigh a folding bike, perhaps a bike carrier is what is needed.

If the advantages of a regular bike (fat tires, etc) outweigh a folding bike, perhaps a bike carrier is what is needed.

The folding bikes I am looking at are 26 inch wheels with fatish tyres.

I decided the 20 inch wheels are not my thing even though they fold down smaller.

A bike carrier is an thought but I am probably too lazy to be attaching the bike carrier, removing etc every week.

Check the regulations in the park(s) where you want to ride. If memory serves, powered bikes of any power source are not allowed on park paths. At least that was the case on the C&O canal and a couple of others that I considered several years ago. But check, rules may have changed.

The folding bikes I am looking at are 26 inch wheels with fatish tyres.

I decided the 20 inch wheels are not my thing even though they fold down smaller.

A bike carrier is an thought but I am probably too lazy to be attaching the bike carrier, removing etc every week.

If you are moving your bike every week, just leave the rack on the car. My Yakima hitch rack pretty much stays on my RAV4 from April thru November.

The last time I was at a National Park they handed out a brochure regarding ebikes. The Park Service came out with new regulations clarifying how and where ebikes can be used, basically they can be used anywhere regular bikes are allowed and you must follow the same rules and regulations. They do break down ebikes into classes (1-3) based on max speed and pedal assist features and parks may restrict use based on the class your ebike falls in.

The last time I was at a National Park they handed out a brochure regarding ebikes. The Park Service came out with new regulations clarifying how and where ebikes can be used, basically they can be used anywhere regular bikes are allowed and you must follow the same rules and regulations. They do break down ebikes into classes (1-3) based on max speed and pedal assist features and parks may restrict use based on the class your ebike falls in.

Here's a good reference:
Electric Bicycles (e-bikes) in National Parks

Each park will generally have its own regulations, listed on its website.

Just saw an e-bike for sale at Costco. Less than $400. It's pedal assist and has a range of up to 15 miles. I don't think it folds but the box shows a female carrying it in one hand (under her arm IIRC.) It's very small but supposedly it is designed for adults. No idea of speed or features. Around our neighborhood, I would think it would be adequate, fun and reasonably safe. I'd never leave it anyplace not adequately chained as bikes have a high vapor pressure here. Full size motorized scooters disappear if not chained adequately. It's a real issue in the Islands. YMMV

Back
Top Bottom