Need book recommend-J.A.Mitchner; J. Clavell type

dex

Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...
I am going to hit the road in the RV in a couple of weeks and am looking for some book recommendations.

Criteria - Mitchner or Clavell (after I read Shogun; I thought I was Japanese) type books - you learn a bit of history, interesting story line, and long - I've read most of their books so they are off the list.
Any help would be appreciated.

How about Lonesome Dove (and others in that saga) by Larry McMurtry?

I like Larry McMurty books also but the wild west setting gets a bit old, but Lonesome Dove is a terrific series.

While traveling I like to read Paul Theroux travel books Riding the Iron Rooster etc. Good historical background, entertaining style, since they are chronicle of his travel adventures they lack the intrique plots of Clavell or Mitchner

You might enjoy Qui Xiaolong's books. They entail a lot of very interesting Chinese culture and history, but in a fictional setting. Most of his books on Amazon get 4 or 4.5 stars, plus my thumb's up.

Charlotte

Clifp - I agree with your points about westerns and Theroux - off the list

I've been a big fan of Dudley Pope's Ramage books. About a British naval officer during the Napoleanic wars.

I enjoyed the Earth Children series by Jean Auel...Clan of the Cave Bear...Etc. Talk about LYBM and retirement planning. Of course, someone tried to ruin my enjoyment by pointing out their "chick lit" appeal and the horrible movie with Darryl Hannah. But very enjoyable.

Hey any movie with Darrly Hannah in skimpy clothes isn't horrible :)

Hey any movie with Darrly Hannah in skimpy clothes isn't horrible :)

the horrible movie with Darryl Hannah.

Only to quibble, the movie was horrible, Darryl Hannah in skimpy clothes, not so much.

Amazon.com: Cryptonomicon: Neal Stephenson: Books

Cryptonomicon by Neal Stephenson.

This has some nice historical stuff blended with modern stuff.

There are two stories intertwined. One is set in the WW-II era England with the code crackers and Japanese Asia. The other is current time computer hackers. The two stories keep crossing each other.

I enjoyed this book very much when I read it on vacation in Sint Maarten several years ago.

In the US most public libraries have access to a pretty powerful book suggester program. I haven’t found one I like online but I love the one I access at the online catalogue terminals at the public library – after moving recently I couldn’t find in on my new library’s terminals – the librarian was happy to show me and give some tips for getting good results.

Another Idea ----- books you can try on cheap and leave where you like - Thriftstores like Goodwill usually have books. They are typically not sorted well and there is a lot of chaff. But I normally find something I’m sure I’ll enjoy and maybe a few things I suspect I might enjoy (and sometimes am very happy to have discovered – and wouldn’t have had I not happened across it at Goodwill). And at 25 cents a shot with no timetable to return it you can take it on the road and leave it somewhere for someone else to read. Quality of selection is location dependent – where I used to live, the Goodwill book section was a treasure trove – where I am now it’s pathetic.

Have it, done with it, loved it. Would be willing to send out.

A personal favorite of mine, but probably doesn't quite meet the criteria, is The War That Never Was by Palmer. Historical fiction but heavy into technical details (troop movements, etc) more than human drama. Discusses a late '80's invasion of Western Europe by Russia.

Amazon.com: The War That Never Was: Michael A. Palmer,Michael Palmer: Books

OK, no cowboy westerns. How about Wouk's "The Winds of War"?

Some great suggestions - I appreciate them.
Good idea about the library suggestions & Goodwill - I'll check them out today.
Dudley Pope's Ramage books - I read one; you might like the book 1666 about the Great Fire of London - Very good about the daily life of the people
Earth Children - I read similar books. Also, Rachael Welch 1 million BC - think about it.
The Winds of War - Saw the movie
On the list so far:
Qui Xiaolong - Looks good - what I am looking for
Cryptonomicon by Neal Stephenson

I recommend Scott Turrow's The Laws of Our Fathers | Books | Scott Turow.

It is long, dense murder mystery, filled with details from the past, very hard to put down. It takes characters from today and looks back on their lives as 1960's activists. History, but not older history. Very good book, I highly recommend it.

Thanks Martha - I'll pick it up

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom