Need ideas for retirement gift for long term mentor

3moreyears

Dryer sheet wannabe
An ex-manager and long term mentor of mine just got forced out of our Mega Corp after 38ish years under odd circumstance and has officially retired. He's in his early 60's and could have retired at 55 with full pension but is definitely someone whose identity was tied to his work as well as someone who never felt like they'd have enough money. I am sure he is more then set financially. The forceout was predicated on someone making an ethics complaint about him, company having zero tolerance for that AND us having a new CEO who is clearing house this year. So without warning he retired in mid-October so no company party or parting gifts which I feel horrible about.

I will be meeting him for lunch when I travel east in a couple of weeks and wanted to get him something to thank him for all his advice and guidance over the years. I hate that the ending has tarnished a stellar career and am torn if I should give him something for his home office that recognizes his long career at one company (sort of a replacement for what 'the company' would have given him in a normal retirement), something sappy about being a great mentor or something more practical (nice bottle wine, rest. GC, something for fishing which he always said he wanted to do more of) which is probably what I would have done had he retired normally. Doesn't really have any hobbies as he worked all the time, traveling every week, but does have a grandson he dotes on, talked about fishing and used to play golf pretty frequently.

So, anyone get anything they really liked when they retired? Thoughts on appropriateness in this situation?

Thanks!!

How about helping him ease into the more enjoyable part of his life by taking him out to a really nice dinner at an outstanding restaurant?

Something for fishing sounds like a good idea, but it's hard to buy fishing stuff for someone when you don't know what they already have or need. If you have a general idea what type of fishing he might do, maybe you could get him a nice fishing rod/reel combination, for that type of fishing. They come in all price ranges, and most fishermen could always use another nice rod and reel. If you are not a fisherman yourself, I'm sure you could get some advice on what to buy from fishermen on the forum here, or from someone at a local sporting goods store.

It sounds like he might have a rough transition from work to retirement, so something to encourage him to start enjoying other activities might be the way to go.

At this age, hardly anyone needs more stuff, but what would be really nice is to hand write a letter earnestly telling him how he has improved / changed your life and others in the company. Long after some trinket has been tossed, that letter will be in his top drawer.

Heartily agree that a hand written letter on how the mentor impacted your life would be appreciated and long remembered.

I like the letter. Used to be that a watch was a retirement gift, so that's a possibility.

Ok. A letter is a great idea but with the letter I'd have a gift certificate to Cabela's or Bass Pro Shops. Then he can get what he wants.

Ok. A letter is a great idea but with the letter I'd have a gift certificate to Cabela's or Bass Pro Shops. Then he can get what he wants.

Like this idea, along with taking him out to a nice meal.

Thanks all, some great ideas! Still not decided but will definitely include a letter. I'll post back when I figure out what I am going to do!

The best retirement gift I received was this.
https://dayclocks.com/collections/classic-dayclocks/products/classic-mahogany

Classic_Mahogany_English_Front_v01_1024x1024@2x.jpg

Trust me. Any get together where you acknowledge the impact he had on your life and where you thank him and wish him all the best will be a lifelong memory that he will sincerely appreciate.

I like the letter and Cabela's gift certificate. If others are of a like mind how about putting together a pool for a fishing activity. Somewhere in the back of my brain was a belief that Cabela's offered adventures, including fishing trips. After poking around their website I found "Signature Outdoor Adventures" and a phone 800.346.8747. Call them to see what is available.

Back
Top Bottom