Nervous about spending

OP, I say go for it. Buy the car if you think it will make you happy. But I must confess, I am a tightwad. However, if I saw something I really wanted would buy it in a heartbeat , because we all deserve to be happy.:) Looks like I am too late, he already bought it. Well, good for him!

Last edited:
Ha, it appears that you do not like traveling but many feel just the opposite. It would also appear that when you look for a partner you would want someone that felt the same way that you do. For us traveling is one of the biggest pleasures of our lives.

Teacher Terry, I totally agree with you about differences in feelings about leisure travel held by different people. What I was talking about was the opinion that I sometimes see that one should try to spend more, so as to "not leave too much on the table". If someone wants something, and can afford it, get it-but not for the purpose of spending more freely, unless that is what floats the boat.

I enjoyed working in foreign countries, but the social connections from a job make a big difference to me. I find that if i want to meet people from other countries who are not mainly trying to sell me something, I have more luck meeting them here, in summer, in downtown eateries and bars, where I am "a local" that they might enjoy talking to.

And I do in fact have a love relationship, but as I did not run a checklist when starting, and my emotions would always trump anything like "do you like to travel?" Anyway, this does come up. She does enjoy travel, has lived in various European countries, speaks 3 languages, 2 well enough to pass as native within that country. I think we might compromise by going somewhere from time to time and staying there, probably somewhere where at least one of us has language facility or wants to improve that. Anyway I don't feel that I have to occupy every niche in her life, or she in mine.

Ha

Last edited:
did you consult ur wife?

what does she think? i dont make major decisions with out her ok, as a matter of fact i feel the need to get her blessing before i do most things. if she is fine with it and it makes you happy do it, i personally could not buy a fire engine red caddy and i wanted one my whole life, i went to the dealer we could well afford it, but the thought of spending that much killed it for me. i wouldnt have been happy with the purchase, if it makes u feel good so it life is short

Ha, it appears that you do not like traveling but many feel just the opposite. It would also appear that when you look for a partner you would want someone that felt the same way that you do. For us traveling is one of the biggest pleasures of our lives.
I agree, but as we age and slow down, the trips have become fewer.
When we first got married 10 years ago, we were spending about $30-40K on travel per year. Last year we only took two trips, and this year we are only taking one.
We have decided to fly first class, since we are spending less.
The past few years we have flown Business Class on British Airways on miles and companion tickets, and got us spoiled.

That was a major driver in our decision to ER. We love leisure travel and wanted to stop w*rking and start doing more traveling while we're physically able to SCUBA dive, hike, and explore destinations that will be too difficult once one of us is ill or mobility impaired.

Back
Top Bottom