NetFlix is shutting down their DVD business

I had assumed they quit DVDs and snail mail a long time ago, like when Blockbuster went belly up (2010?). :LOL:

What you, and many other posters here are missing is (even after other posters have addressed it) - there is a lot of content that is available on DVD, but not available on streaming.

DW has a pretty steady supply of Netflix DVDs coming, and she streams all sorts of content from various sources - Netflix, SlingTV, Amazon Prime and whatever is included on our Xfinity box.

This is NOT some 'Luddite'/'old fogey' issue. It a matter of what's available on each plan. Trust me, if DW could watch her Netflix DVDs from a streaming service, she would!

Here's one source:

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/...le-watch-Netflixs-DVD-service-shuts-down.html

The company also revealed 'DVD Netflix's 50 All-Time Most Rented Movies' which placed The Blind Side and Spotlight among the fan favorites.

Worryingly, however, at the time of publication, only three of those 50 titles - Inception (2010), Julie and Julia (2009) and Les Misérables (2012) - were available to watch in the US on the Netflix streaming site.

So, what are you laughing at?

-ERD50

Hey, I have the complete Rocky and Bullwinkle on DVD. That also includes Mr. Peabody, Fractured Fairy Tails, Dudley Do-Right, and Mr. Know-It-All. Ain't giving that up for no dumb streamin' service.
Sounds interesting, but what about Commander McBragg?

Lots of stuff not on streaming is available on DVD though your local public library. And if it’s offered by the library give Kanopy a shot. The other night I watched Butter on Kanopy. It’s a delightful movie. Highly recommend.

What you, and many other posters here are missing is (even after other posters have addressed it) - there is a lot of content that is available on DVD, but not available on streaming.

DW has a pretty steady supply of Netflix DVDs coming, and she streams all sorts of content from various sources - Netflix, SlingTV, Amazon Prime and whatever is included on our Xfinity box.

This is NOT some 'Luddite'/'old fogey' issue. It a matter of what's available on each plan. Trust me, if DW could watch her Netflix DVDs from a streaming service, she would!
And what you are missing is just because you (and a rapidly declining audience) want the service to continue for whatever reason, doesn't mean it's not a "Luddite/old fogey" issue. Don't take my word for it, see NYT article opening below. Younger folks sure aren't the ones renting DVDs via snail mail. But I am sure you will still disagree...
WSJ said:
Netflix’s domestic DVD rental-by-mail business generated $145.7 million in revenue last year, according to the company’s most recent 10-K filing, and may have still had more than a million loyal customers. While some companies would consider that to be a nice chunk of change, it added up to less than half of 1% of Netflix’s total revenue for the year—literally a rounding error. The DVD business had already shrunk so much that the company stopped disclosing other pertinent financial information about it in 2019. For that year, domestic DVDs generated $297.2 million in revenue—about 1.5% of the company’s total—and had 2.15 million subscribers.
NYT said:
Call up your Luddite loved ones and your nostalgic friends who still cherish physical media. After 25 years, Netflix is ending its DVD-by-mail business.

Last edited:
The dvds are valuable to us because it is the only technology that provides access to the latest movies (and old movies) with the broadest selection at the cheapest price.

The library s close second.

If streaming could match it we would have switched already.

The fact that it is Luddite technology is a side issue and if anything highlights the movie problem further.

Why does Luddite technology still out perform the latest tech for movie choice?

The reason Netflix kept it this long is because they have no answer to the problem. Movie deals for streaming are obviously too expensive to match the dvd library. Instead they decided to make their own content.

Another thing I think DVDs have over streaming is the added features like commentary, deleted scenes etc.

Netflix mails DVDs? To your house?? Since when?

JUST KIDDING.

Back in the early 90’s when we lived in France, mom would mail our Netflix movies to us. I had some apparently illegal DVD player that played any and all formats and life was good.

And what you are missing is just because you (and a rapidly declining audience) want the service to continue for whatever reason, doesn't mean it's not a "Luddite/old fogey" issue. Don't take my word for it, see NYT article opening below. Younger folks sure aren't the ones renting DVDs via snail mail. But I am sure you will still disagree...

You are still missing my point. I didn't say I wanted the service to continue (I don't) - DVDs are a PITA compared to streaming.

The issue is some stuff that DW watches is only available on DVD - that's the hang up. If they make that available streaming, we're happy campers. No clinging to that old tech for us - she just wants the content that she was getting. It's not a technology issue, it's a content issue.

I haven't heard whether the DVD only content is going to be made available or not.

Of course younger people aren't renting DVDs - they started on streaming, so aren't even aware of these titles that are DVD only, they don't even come up in a search if they don't have the DVD plan to begin with.

-ERD50

Luddite or not, I hate to see DVD rental going away. Years ago, I subscribed to Netflix DVD rental service, before the availability of online streaming service.

Just now, out of curiosity, checked for the availability of some oldies, and found out that they are not available for the general streaming service, but can be streamed from Youtube and Google Play for $2.99-$3.99. Perhaps, the copyright holders of these movies don't want these movies available to the general streaming library.

So, yes, one can still watch less popular oldies or classics, but has to pay more for individualized streaming.

My younger sister came to visit for a couple of weeks a few months ago, only 4 years younger. When I showed her the bluray player in the guest room I had just bought she said "Do people still use those?" Fortunately I had a Roku for her too!

The issue is some stuff that DW watches is only available on DVD - that's the hang up. If they make that available streaming, we're happy campers. No clinging to that old tech for us - she just wants the content that she was getting. It's not a technology issue, it's a content issue.

I haven't heard whether the DVD only content is going to be made available or not.
From the link you provided earlier I chose 8 titles at random and found they all are available to stream from redbox and Amazon Video.

From the link you provided earlier I chose 8 titles at random and found they all are available to stream from redbox and Amazon Video.

Well, I'll check with DW on the titles/series she's watching (I watch very little TV/movies - I find enough stuff on YouTube to fill my time). I assume she's checked the other streams we have available, she's pretty on top of this, she watches a lot.

And I'll add/clarify my previous response to some of the earlier "Luddite/old fogy" comments from other posters (too late to edit that response) - DW prefers streaming to DVD/snail-mail, so I just don't see how those descriptions apply at all.

-ERD50

I started Netflix before streaming was a thing. I think I had a 4 disc plan so there was a constant flow of movie and tv shows. Years later when streaming became available I had both discs and streaming but later trimmed back to 3 then 2 discs. I liked the option since the shows didn't overlap. Sad to see it discontinued. Do you think they might offer a blow out sale of their DVDs?

Cheers!

I started Netflix before streaming was a thing. I think I had a 4 disc plan so there was a constant flow of movie and tv shows. Years later when streaming became available I had both discs and streaming but later trimmed back to 3 then 2 discs. I liked the option since the shows didn't overlap. Sad to see it discontinued. Do you think they might offer a blow out sale of their DVDs?

Cheers!
I was pretty much thinking the same thing. "Either that" are they will sell them to some other used DVD's sales outlet. Maybe a tax write-off. :( It's also their sorting/shipping infrastructure. Surely that's worth some serious dollars, to someone.

Last edited:
^^^^^
From their FAQ's

Q. When will I have to return my remaining disc(s) by?
A. We will continue to accept returns until October 27th, 2023.

Here's one source:

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/...le-watch-Netflixs-DVD-service-shuts-down.html

So, what are you laughing at?

-ERD50

Agree on this. If anyone hear's of an alternative to NetFlix/DVD.com emerging to serve this audience, I would love to hear about it.

I am thinking something like Consumers Cellular who markets to the tastes of seniors. Oh and by the way - I, personally, still can't access my IRAs without penalty so senior can be a state of mind. ;-)

-gauss

Yes, as I did some spot checking, I found that I could always find some streaming services offering what I searched.

The problem is you have to subscribe to all of these streaming services, or pay $2.99 to $3.99 per movie as they are not included in the "all you can watch" library.

PS. I also found some of my samples on free streaming services, but they come with ads.

PPS. And I also found some of the DVD titles in the local public library. How 'bout that? Your tax money at work.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom