New Apple Watch Series 6

I use the United app on my phone to show the boarding pass as many do. I never used my watch although there is a United app on my watch, but I only used it for status and notifications.

I always use the Delta app on my phone. Put the boarding pass in the wallet and use that for boarding.
The Delta app on my watch gives me notifications about flight delays, gate changes, and updates like "Your bag has been loaded on the plane".

In the beginning I sometimes had a problem with the boarding pass not registering on the scanner, either at the TSA checkpoint or the boarding gate. But I figured out that it was because my screen brightness wasn't set high enough. That's easy to fix with a quick swipe in the control panel, and I've never had trouble with it since.

I received my new Series 6 on Thursday with a sport loop band like I had with my Series 3. Interestingly, the sport loop band is significantly shorter than my old one. It still fits, but barely will open up enough to get over my hand. The old one easily slid over my hand up to the wrist in one fluid movement. With the new one, I have to sort of wiggle my hand through the loop a couple times much like putting on gloves that are a tad bit small. It’s a good thing the new band looks so sexy on me or I’d be pissed.

Yep, my new sport band that came with my Series 6 is significantly shorter than the one that came with my Series 3 (which I still have, btw). It does take more effort to get this one off, as you say. The one from my Series 3 was almost TOO BIG for my puny wrists! Apple must have wised-up and realized the 1st gen bands were on the long side and they could save some $$ making them shorter...

I always use the Delta app on my phone. Put the boarding pass in the wallet and use that for boarding.
The Delta app on my watch gives me notifications about flight delays, gate changes, and updates like "Your bag has been loaded on the plane".

In the beginning I sometimes had a problem with the boarding pass not registering on the scanner, either at the TSA checkpoint or the boarding gate. But I figured out that it was because my screen brightness wasn't set high enough. That's easy to fix with a quick swipe in the control panel, and I've never had trouble with it since.
I think the United app changed to go to bright screen when displaying a boarding pass. That fixed my problem.

Received my new series 6 in blue today. I really like it so far. I went from the 40mm to the 44mm and am so happy that I did. When I first put it on it really didn't seem larger but it is when I compare to the old watch. The extra screen real estate is very, very nice. DH was always lukewarm about my gold watch (he wears a Fitbit Versa) but now he is getting interested in the Apple watch.

Oh, that stinks. I’m on a taxes/fees included plan now, which I like, so I’m not anxious to add anything that piles on taxes and fees.

Yes, I have that with T-Mobile. Adding my watch just added a flat $10 a month which is fine. DH is sort of interested in one but would only occasionally use the cellular function. He likes the idea that he could activate his watch on my cellular plan so it would only cost $10 for both of us.

Yep, my new sport band that came with my Series 6 is significantly shorter than the one that came with my Series 3 (which I still have, btw). It does take more effort to get this one off, as you say. The one from my Series 3 was almost TOO BIG for my puny wrists! Apple must have wised-up and realized the 1st gen bands were on the long side and they could save some $$ making them shorter...

I just got mine with the regular sport loop (not the solo) and compared it to the one I bought 2 years ago. Note, this watch is a 44mm and the old one was a 40mm. The half of the loop with the slot in it is the exact same length as the old one. The new one with the round holes is slightly longer. This is probably because I went from 40mm to 44mm. I received both the longer band (with holes) and the shorter band (with holes). I use the shorter one.

Anyway, if there is a difference in length it may depend on what size watch you received. For example if your Series 3 was a 42mm and you went to a 40mm Series 6 then maybe the band with the sizing holes is a little shorter. Not sure since I never had the Series 3.

Attachments

• IMG_1593.jpg
    IMG_1593.jpg
    474.3 KB · Views: 20
  • IMG_1594.jpg
    IMG_1594.jpg
    474.9 KB · Views: 20
I'm another big fan of the 44mm size, which I got with my Series 5 last year. Makes a significant difference when trying to read it.

There is only one thing I don't like about Apple, and that is that their watchbands are ridiculously overpriced. You can get a band you'll like better from Amazon for a fraction of Apple's price.

I'm another big fan of the 44mm size, which I got with my Series 5 last year. Makes a significant difference when trying to read it.

There is only one thing I don't like about Apple, and that is that their watchbands are ridiculously overpriced. You can get a band you'll like better from Amazon for a fraction of Apple's price.

Yes, so far, the 44mm size is a hit.

I agree about the watchbands. I usually do buy third party. I wish you could actually buy the watch with no band. That said -- I do quite like the new braided loop band and I have one on order....

Crapshoot on whether it will be a seamless transition

DH ordered one just a few hours ago. He went for Titanium! With a stainless graphite Milanese loop. This version belongs on the Blow that Dough 2020 thread!

DH does want the oximeter functionality.

His delivery estimate is 9/28.

He’s replacing a series 4 regular Apple Watch. He bought a stainless Milanese loop band for that watch a year ago and loved the band.

I’m still happily chugging along with my series 3.

I too bought the Titanium 6 moving up from a 4. That said somewhere along the upgrade line IOS 14.0.1 and WatchOS 7.0.1 a bunch of us (people I met on Apple User Support) had something screw up which while giving the Pulse Ox function (works really good) it corrupted the ECG app and now neither watch (4 or 6) works on it - watch says "install on phone" phone wont talk to either watch but thinks the app is installed. After working through 3 levels of Apple support their ECG domain expert gave up and kicked it up to engineering after downloading all watch and phone health data. Now say it will be between 5 and 15 business days before the "next step". :mad: There are 15 of us so far one the apple site that have the exact same issue

I thought [-]clock bracelets[/-] watches were going out of style. Did apple save an entire category of products from going the way of the dinosaur?

Probably. It was the smart phones replacing their basic functionality anyway.

Finding out the time is one of the least used functions on it, strangely enough.

At least for us retired folk.

Ours is also $10/mo...get ready + taxes & fees brings it to $15.15/month for the watch :mad:. I tend to think in total costs. It drives vendors nuts.

Only $5 for me. US Cellular. Worth every penny. I often just leave my phone at home.

I too bought the Titanium 6 moving up from a 4. That said somewhere along the upgrade line IOS 14.0.1 and WatchOS 7.0.1 a bunch of us (people I met on Apple User Support) had something screw up which while giving the Pulse Ox function (works really good) it corrupted the ECG app and now neither watch (4 or 6) works on it - watch says "install on phone" phone wont talk to either watch but thinks the app is installed. After working through 3 levels of Apple support their ECG domain expert gave up and kicked it up to engineering after downloading all watch and phone health data. Now say it will be between 5 and 15 business days before the "next step". :mad: There are 15 of us so far one the apple site that have the exact same issue

I usually do the macrumors forums for Apple Watch and iPhone stuff (don't know if there are better places). Anyway, I saw warnings about the upgrades so haven't done either one of those yet.

I thought [-]clock bracelets[/-] watches were going out of style. Did apple save an entire category of products from going the way of the dinosaur?

Yes. And, as mentioned, it is because of the other functions on the watch, not so much the time. I do check time on it but it is not essential for that. It is everything else about it that is helpful.

It is sort of like the smartphone itself. The phone function is the least of it. I was trying to explain this to a friend of mine (she has never had a smartphone and is thinking of getting one) and that is hard to explain to someone who hasn't had one before.

Probably. It was the smart phones replacing their basic functionality anyway.

Yeah - pretty cool trick really - make a whole class of products obselete, then 10 years later bring it back again!

I got my Apple Watch trade in cash back on my credit card yesterday. I purchased a Series 6 and traded in a Series 3. Estimated trade in value was $95. Interestingly enough, they credited me $100.70 which would seem to be the $95 plus 6%. I live in Pennsylvania and our state sales tax is 6%. So I guess they gave that to me too for some reason. I wasn't expecting it, but I'll take every penny I can get.

I got my Apple Watch trade in cash back on my credit card yesterday. I purchased a Series 6 and traded in a Series 3. Estimated trade in value was $95. Interestingly enough, they credited me $100.70 which would seem to be the $95 plus 6%. I live in Pennsylvania and our state sales tax is 6%. So I guess they gave that to me too for some reason. I wasn't expecting it, but I'll take every penny I can get.

Yep, same for me...more than $95. Came through this morning. A pleasant surprise. I'll take it, too!

Did they send you a box to send your old Watch back in?

Or did you just print out a label and send it in?

Did you include the bands and the charger?

Did they send you a box to send your old Watch back in? Yes

Or did you just print out a label and send it in? Label was included

Did you include the bands and the charger? Nope, just the Series 3 Watch by itself; no bands or chargers. Good instructions included.
:)

The most difficult part of the process is pushing the watch into the sticky plastic slot in the shipping box they supply. As said above, they really do all the work for you except putting the watch in the box. Took about 2 weeks to get the refund, including the shipping time.

So DH's birthday was this week. He has been wearing my old Fitbit Versa since I got my Apple Watch 2 years ago. He really likes my new Apple Watch and when I asked him if he wanted something for his birthday (we don't always do gifts) he allowed that he might like a watch like mine. So I order him the same 44mm Blue cellular watch that I got. It was very easy to add it to our cellular plan and so far he seems to like it (just arrived on Thursday)

The most difficult part of the process is pushing the watch into the sticky plastic slot in the shipping box they supply. As said above, they really do all the work for you except putting the watch in the box. Took about 2 weeks to get the refund, including the shipping time.

Honestly, I couldn't figure out from what was in the box how I was supposed to put it in the slot. I actually went to Apple on my computer where they had more detailed instructions and then figured it out.

No they send a box with a label. You do not send back bands or charger. I had trouble getting the label on it (it wrinkled) and I was worried it wouldn't work but it was fine. I got notice the other day that my trade in was complete.

My 5 yo Garmin watch is having issues. Thinking about buying an Apple Watch. Might as well, I have everything else apple.

I have a couple of stupid questions. If I always have my iPhone with me, would I need a cellular plan also for the watch?

Does the watch need cellular to communicate with the phone? I hope not.

I have an iPhone and Apple watch and no cellular on my watch. I get texts and call notifications on my watch because I usually have my phone with me. So, I would say no you don't need cellular.

Others might have suggestions why cellular is beneficial but I haven't found I need it.

^Thanks! That’s what I thought, but I didn’t find anything on the Apple site that clearly stated it. I’m going to order gps only.

Back
Top Bottom