New car, Tire rotation, Who do you use.

I'm no longer a believer in Michelin despite having had many sets of Michelin tires in years past.

When our 2016 Subaru Outback's OEM tires wore out I bought a set of Michelin Premier LTX tires from Costco that had a 60k warranty. I rotate them with every oil change.. so roughtly every 6k miles. By the time I got to 22k miles on that new set they were almost worn out. I then made a warranty claim and Costco sold me another set for 22/60 (37%) of the cost of a new set.

Based on the current wear after 17k miles I doubt that I'll get 25k miles out of this replacement set.

Costco would have allowed me to go with a different brand when I replaced the Michelins and I questioned getting the same tire given my previous experience, but the service manager talked me into replacing them with Michelins.:facepalm:

My last set of Michelins (Primacy MXM) developed wide cracks along the point where the tread met the sidewall. It almost looked like the tread was separating from the carcass. Plus, I didn't think they had very good wet grip. I switched to mostly Continentals and Generals.

I'm no longer a believer in Michelin despite having had many sets of Michelin tires in years past.
When our 2016 Subaru Outback's OEM tires wore out I bought a set of Michelin Premier LTX tires from Costco that had a 60k warranty. I rotate them with every oil change.. so roughtly every 6k miles. By the time I got to 22k miles on that new set they were almost worn out. I then made a warranty claim and Costco sold me another set for 22/60 (37%) of the cost of a new set.
Based on the current wear after 17k miles I doubt that I'll get 25k miles out of this replacement set.

Costco would have allowed me to go with a different brand when I replaced the Michelins and I questioned getting the same tire given my previous experience, but the service manager talked me into replacing them with Michelins.:facepalm:
DW's compact SUV came with Michelin Latitudes on it. When they wore down, I replaced them with the same via Discount Tire. The car had a narrow-width 50 MPH max tire (!) on a special narrow and bigger in diameter steel wheel as the slung underneath spare. A Fleet Order of the vehicle could be equipped with a full-size spare underneath. When rotating tires, I put a road wheel up there to see if it would fit, yeah it fit fine. Figured someday I would buy a wheel same as the road wheels, matching tire, and TPMS sensor. After about 8 years, the Kumho "spare tire", never used, exploded. Exploded while it was fastened underneath. Don't know when it blew. Only figured it out when we heard a shifting thud from rear when turning while going up/down at low speed.

So it was time to implement the full-sized spare setup. Ordered matching aluminum wheel and TPMS sensor from Rockauto, called Discount Tire on getting another matching Michelin Latitude, found out they were discontinued. I selected a Michelin Premier for the spare. Since creating the full-size spare, I needed to use the spare, and left it on for a while, wearing FAST! Also, the Premier starts life with only 9/32" of tread depth, where most other tires start with 11/32" of tread depth.

Was talking to a Discount Tire person lately, he said that they are warrantying Premiers left and right for premature tread wear-out, said he would not recommend them, to use the Michelin Defender LTX instead, he said they have been out for a while now, and have done well. When the Latitudes wear a bit more, that's what I will do.

Last edited:
...Was talking to a Discount Tire person lately, he said that they are warrantying Premiers left and right for premature tread wear-out, said he would not recommend them, to use the Michelin Defender LTX instead, he said they have been out for a while now, and have done well. When the Latitudes wear a bit more, that's what I will do.

Great info Telly... I wish that I had known this when I had the Premiers swapped out under warranty.

I've never heard of a undermounted spare blowing up... I assume that it is unusual.

Thanks for all of the valuable information.

I think there is confusion, AWD, (all wheel drive). Subaru, and other's have this.
Do not confuse with, on demand four wheel drive.

Example: 25,000 miles on tires. Get a nail in sidewall. Need a new tire,

Options: (A.) Buy 4 new tires. (B.) Have new tire "shaved" down to match the other 3.

Reason: Wear and tear on drive train. New tire is larger in diameter.

I think I will take the advice, of a couple of previous posters, and just rotate myself. Until, I buy new tires at Costco...Ha...When they have their Michelin sale....

Just an update and "Thanks" - I think it was this thread that reminded me of the option to shave a tire.

I just managed to get some sidewall damage to one tire, and was wondering about having to buy 2 or 4 tires (AWD). I didn't see any direct reference to it on tirerack.com, but I searched and found that they offer the service, My tires were running about 6~7/32, so I had them shave to 8/32 to allow for a little error and still with the 2~3/32 match generally recommnded (my owner's manual gave no specific number, just that they should be "even").

Shaving cost $25 from Tirerack, and an extra few days shipping, since it had to come out of their Nevada warehouse (they don't do shaving at the Indiana warehouse). A lot cheaper than even one extra new tire & mounting.

-ERD50

I usually take to the place where I bought the tires to rotate them. They do it for free. But I seldom do this to be honest.

I do try to keep them inflated etc.

My first project after retirement In 2009 was to build a proper garage with a 2-post lift. I do all non-warranty work (and some of that..) myself. Some of these wheels and tires these days are getting awfully heavy. Looking into a solution for that.

Simple question. When ever I buy tires,, free tire rotations are included.
Purchased, new, Subaru, AWD. Where, do you folks go, to have your tires rotated on a new car? :)

my local garage. i don't go back to the dealer for anything except warranty work.

Simple question. When ever I buy tires,, free tire rotations are included.
Purchased, new, Subaru, AWD. Where, do you folks go, to have your tires rotated on a new car? :)
Thedealer where I purchased my new Subaru does it with the included oil change

My first project after retirement In 2009 was to build a proper garage with a 2-post lift. I do all non-warranty work (and some of that..) myself. Some of these wheels and tires these days are getting awfully heavy. Looking into a solution for that.

I use 10 ply on my GMC PU, I had to pick up a tire from customer pickup. Well I was struggling to get a darn tire in a shopping cart, when this 5'5' young woman threw it in the cart for me.:rolleyes:

Back
Top Bottom