New cars with no spare tire or donut

I own a 2011 Ford Ranger 4WD. Spare tire has never been used.

That's good, and you've been lucky. I own a 2003 GMC 4WD pickup and the spare has never been used on that either. Yet.

But I have had flat tires, and I'm well aware that it is only a matter of luck that I haven't needed the spare.

$300 for the spare tire and all its parts is dirt cheap. I'm surprise it don't cost $800 or $1000 like other car parts.[/

I bought most of the parts on amazon. the only part i had to buy from the dealer was the foam insert that fit over the spare tire.

My 2011 BMW Z4 has no spare or donut, but the tires are run flat. I have never experienced that concept, so not sure if it would really work.

It works. But they suck. They only last about 20000 miles at best and are about $350 each to replace. 2015 BMW 428i and I have to replace tires about once a year. It is ridiculous! I love my car but I would never own another BMW!

First of all, run flats are fine and are good for about 50 miles if you puncture one -- good enough to get to a tire repair center. My last car, a BMW X1 had them and I was comfortable with them. I think I experienced two flats in the five years I owned the BMW and managed fine

That may be true in some areas. Here on the Big Island of Hawaii the only place that will fix/replace run flats is the BMW dealer (and maybe other dealers). And they have to order them from TireRack.com which takes several days so you are down for the count. I have put over 1000 miles on a run flat while waiting but needing to get to work. I honestly hardly noticed. I don't recommend it but it did not seem to be a problem. Most of this was at highway speeds (although that tops out at 55 here). BMW says not to go over 50 so you don't actually need to go THAT slow.

As I said in my prior post, I don't like run flats, just describing my honest experience with having flats a couple of times. They will keep you moving which is a positive.

Performance-wise they are a stiff ride. But you kind of want that in a sports car. But of course you can get that with conventional tires as well without the drawbacks of runflats.

Runflats cost a little more and ride a little stiffer, but modern runflats are reasonably comfortable.

This has been my experience as well. 24 years with run-flats, first on a corvette, then on a Lexus sport coupe. The more recent tires are noticeably more comfortable.

I've had at least one "car/suv", at all times, with run flats for the past 20+ years and no spare. Note, run flats are only good for about 50 miles with zero air pressure. (So they say) All my trucks had full sized spares. I do carry a can of fix a flat, a good plug kit including a 12v inflator. So far, no issues that I couldn't resolve on the spot.
Well, had another flat last week except this one had a little more drama. It happen while driving home in a VERY sparsely populated area. I ran over some debris in the road about 11pm and 50 miles from home. I thought to myself, well these are new tires so I should be okay. :nonono: Anyway, I punched up my TPMS to be sure. At first all tires looked to be okay at 42+ psi. Then, two minutes later, uh-oh, the right rear air pressure started to drop. :( I said well maybe it is a slow leak and I'll be able to make it home. :nonono: A few minutes later it was down to 26 psi. (Not good) I knew there was a small town coming up with an all night "but unattended" service station in just a few miles. When I got there the tire was well below 20 psi so I stopped. Of course there was no one there but at least the station was well lighted but still in the middle of no where. So I quickly used a entire can of "fix flat". No good. So next I'm planning to use the plug kit but I couldn't find the leak. :mad: Okay, next option is to used the spare. This was a new vehicle so I had never checked out the jack and spare. :facepalm: Fortunately the full sized spare was okay. However the jack and associated tire tools must have been designed and stowed by a midget who was mad at the world. It took me almost 20 minutes to get them out from under the passenger seat.:blush: Now it was a simple matter of changing the tire (~10 more mins) and picking up all the stuff.

The drama (scary part) was changing a tire in the middle of the night far away from anything except a deserted but well lighted service station. I guess I should be thankful for the lighting. In the 30 mins it took, I think maybe 3 cars went by (pretty desolate area). Trust me when I say, my 357 was never further than two feet from my right hand.

Last edited:
Well, had another flat last week except this one had a little more drama. It happen while driving home in a VERY sparsely populated area. I ran over some debris in the road about 11pm and 50 miles from home. I thought to myself, well these are new tires so I should be okay. :nonono: Anyway, I punched up my TPMS to be sure. At first all tires looked to be okay at 42+ psi. Then, two minutes later, uh-oh, the right rear air pressure started to drop. :( I said well maybe it is a slow leak and I'll be able to make it home. :nonono: A few minutes later it was down to 26 psi. (Not good) I knew there was a small town coming up with an all night "but unattended" service station in just a few miles. When I got there the tire was well below 20 psi so I stopped. Of course there was no one there but at least the station was well lighted but still in the middle of no where. So I quickly used a entire can of "fix flat". No good. So next I'm planning to use the plug kit but I couldn't find the leak. :mad: Okay, next option is to used the spare. This was a new vehicle so I had never checked out the jack and spare. :facepalm: Fortunately the full sized spare was okay. However the jack and associated tire tools must have been designed and stowed by a midget who was mad at the world. It took me almost 20 minutes to get them out from under the passenger seat.:blush: Now it was a simple matter of changing the tire (~10 more mins) and picking up all the stuff.

The drama (scary part) was changing a tire in the middle of the night far away from anything except a deserted but well lighted service station. I guess I should be thankful for the lighting. In the 30 mins it took, I think maybe 3 cars went by (pretty desolate area). Trust me when I say, my 357 was never further than two feet from my right hand.

Your location, as listed to the left under "join date," checks out. :LOL:

And that is why we use AAA. At close to 70, we don't need to be wrestling with that at midnight in an unknown area.

Didn't this new car come with a Roadside Assistance package? I know it's late at night, but .....

And that is why we use AAA. At close to 70, we don't need to be wrestling with that at midnight in an unknown area.

I don't have (or really want AAA) but in this case it wouldn't have done me any good. No cell service in the area. I do keep a few numbers of 24 hour road service companies on the routes I often travel, (in case I ever need a tow) but again, no cell service where I was. As I said, (pretty desolate area).

But I agree, I'm >70 and still counting... Not as easy to deal with such things anymore. And no, I'm not going to let my age or travel interest stop me.

Last edited:
I don't have (or really want AAA) but in this case it wouldn't have done me any good. No cell service in the area. I do keep a few numbers of 24 hour road service companies on the routes I often travel, (in case I ever need a tow) but again, no cell service where I was. As I said, (pretty desolate area).

But I agree, I'm >70 and still counting... Not as easy to deal with such things anymore. And no, I'm not going to let my age or travel interest stop me.

Fair enough. But those are the kinds of things that do concern me as we get older. I can do it, but is some nut gonna plow into me?

I got no problem ruining the tire (and rim) to get to a station, if there is one, and they can fix it.

Maybe I will just stay out of "the middle of nowhere" for a while?

Not gonna happen, I got too many friends with cabins in "the middle of nowhere".

Side note: DW was at our friends farm, "in the middle of nowhere". She got a flat, thankfully right there. AAA sent out a guy to change the tire in the middle of a rain storm.

I do "consider" the risks of traveling in the middle of night in the middle of nowhere but it's just not enough to stop me. I'm still a pretty confident resourceful/capable guy. (after all, this was just a flat, this time) But it won't stop me from telling folks about my latest adventure. :)

Last edited:
I carry that screwdriver-like tire repair kit, needle nose pliers and a portable air pump. I have repaired over a dozen tires using that kit in my garage but I have never done it on-site on the side of the road.

My dad once told me of fixing 24 flats by hand on a trip across two states. Of course that was in a clapped out Model T ca 1930 or so. I never got the details but it didn't sound like a very fun trip.

:LOL: :LOL:
Back when we first retired out in central OR (east of Cascades) we talked to someone stranded after a flat tire... they called AAA....
They were told that someone would be out there..
.... IN ABOUT ONE AND A HALF TO TWO HOURS ! !
(at least along that part of 20 there was a cell signal ...
as in many, many areas there isn't)

My story:
back in the day.... needed to go from Mile High down to lower TX hill country (funeral) and certainly back then couldn't afford to fly and then rent vehicle to get the rest of the way (not in any "city")
I was "ready" in that I not only had a spare... but I even had another tire as well (picked up extra rim at junkyard, then had tire put on it)
For those in TX or been through the part I'm talking about, you'll understand; I didn't have any problem through CO or NM, nor through the panhandle...BUT...
after going through Big Spring I had a flat. No problem, I thought, I've got spares. Changed tire and continued on to San Angelo and the rest of the way (to between San Antonio and Houston). WELL... a bit past San Angelo there seemed to be a problem with the replacement tire. (now those of you who've been thataway you know... there's nothing but jackrabbits, rattlesnakes, sagebrush, and virtually desert from San Angelo to San Antonio). I stopped and saw a big bulge on the tire :( , seemed that there was some separation there. Replaced it with the second spare....
Well about fifty miles later seemed to have a problem with it too !!
[as this was "back in the day" and I was still a poor grad student, I had bought retreads as spares... often they are good but not really fully up to "new" specs.... but in this case, they clearly didn't follow the right process since both had tread separation. [Do note that even today that the "big rigs" often use retreads since they are cheaper but again close to specs when properly done]
Needless to say, I very gingerly proceeded to make my way on to the destination... at a much reduced speed and got a "normal" replacement tire once there. NEVER got retreads again.

Needless to say, based on all the places I've lived or been at, I want a full size spare... not a "donut", not run-flats, and certainly not just a can of "fix-a-flat". I've been in areas (W of Grand Junction toward Green River) where there was regular highway signs (not advertisement signs) saying last gas for 169 miles (...and even "caution eagles on highway"; it's still there!) but now they must have put another gas station in since it's down to 149 miles. Now imagine if that was winter...

Last edited:
"retread" used to be part of the lexicon of American English language, used in idiomatic and metaphoric ways.

That seems to have fallen by the wayside since no auto driver gets retreads anymore. And FE_RElater explains why we don't retread anymore.

I don't even like the new ultra-low profile tires (19s and 20s seem to be the new "thing" with everyone.) I'm not sure what is on my RAV 4, but nothing like these BUT not the old 78 or 70 aspect ratio either. At least I have a spare AND my car insurance has change-a-flat for a couple of bucks/month. On Island, it shouldn't take more than 30 minutes to get a tow truck.

As I look forward, I think it will be harder and harder to find the kind of features I like on a car. (Spare tire, no darn screens, no connectivity - other than my darn phone, sedan, etc.)

Luddites unite!

A big reason I recently bought a BMW X5 rather than an X3 was because the X5 has a well under the cargo area specifically for a spare tire and the spare tire kit is available from several sources including the dealer. The X3 has no such provisions.

...we talked to someone stranded after a flat tire... they called AAA....
They were told that someone would be out there..
.... IN ABOUT ONE AND A HALF TO TWO HOURS ! !

Where I worked this was normal. We'd come across cars broken down and offer to call the nearest available tow service. The driver would decline and happily tell us they "had AAA and could we call them". Sure, no problem. Two or three hours later I'd go by the same location and see the poor sap still sitting there, waiting for "triple A". They didn't realize that the tow service contracted by AAA would do all their better-paying tow jobs first and when there was nothing else to do, only then would they do the AAA job that they had been low bidder on.

Now, realize that at no time was I ever farther than ten miles or so from the Washington, D.C. line. More often than not within single digit miles. Not exactly the "middle of nowhere".

And this is why I will never, ever, under any circumstances, give a nickel to AAA. Bunch of liars, I think.

They didn't realize that the tow service contracted by AAA would do all their better-paying tow jobs first and when there was nothing else to do, only then would they do the AAA job that they had been low bidder on.

I've often read that AAA road service is the lowest priority for any wrecker because they pay the least.

Once I locked the keys in my car in downtown Denver, right outside the main library building. We had "AAA Plus" at the time, so I called them five times over about 15 minutes and nobody even picked it up. Then I called USAA and they had a locksmith there within ten minutes.

I've often read that AAA road service is the lowest priority for any wrecker because they pay the least.

I worked in the business and can confirm that this is true. AAA jobs are not nearly as profitable so they take them because they fill gaps. They are steady business. Ask one what they think of AAA corporate and you might get an earful of colorful language.

Once I locked the keys in my car in downtown Denver, right outside the main library building. We had "AAA Plus" at the time, so I called them five times over about 15 minutes and nobody even picked it up. Then I called USAA and they had a locksmith there within ten minutes.

IIRC, according to an old post on another forum by someone who claimed to be a tow truck driver, AAA paid better (and so got his priority) than any other road assistance service like you'd get with credit card or via your insurance company at a cheaper price to you than AAA.

I'm not geared for waiting around depending on somebody else for help for anything. I want to be able to get the tire changed and get on with my trip in ten minutes or less, thus the reason that all my vehicles have a spare tire and the tools to change it. The hazard of sitting along the side of a road, risking the chance of getting run into by a distracted driver or robbed is just simply not worth taking the chance.

^^^^
Agree with everything you are saying, except it takes me more like 20 minutes "in the wild" and under perfect conditions. Now jacking the vehicle up/down and changing the tire may only take me 10mins, but getting the spare/tools out and then "throwing" them back in the vehicle when I'm done, takes me at least another 10mins... Maybe I'm, getting old.

Based on my recent late night flat experience, I've added a small high intensity work light and a 2 foot 2x8 for a firm jack base to my vehicle tool box. Didn't need either this time, but that was just luck.

Last edited:
^^^^
Agree with everything you are saying, except it takes me more like 20 minutes "in the wild" and under perfect conditions. Now jacking the vehicle up/down and changing the tire may only take me 10mins, but getting the spare/tools out and then "throwing" them back in the vehicle when I'm done, takes me at least another 10mins... Maybe I'm, getting old.

Based on my recent late night flat experience, I've added a small high intensity work light and a 2 foot 2x8 for a firm jack base to my vehicle tool box. Didn't need either this time, but that was just luck.

I just can't do it any more. I always knew I would get old, but I never dreamed it would happen this fast! YMMV

^^^^^
I suspect in about 5 or 6 more years I'll need to look for other options. :( For now, it's like the old country song says, "I ain't as good as I once was but I'm as good once as I ever was". :)

Back
Top Bottom