New iMac

eytonxav

Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...
Anyone contemplating ordering a new 24" iMac now or plan to wait a while? My 2013 iMac slows down quite a bit, so have been considering upgrading. Also would like a slightly larger screen, as current one is a 21.5".

Yes, we will most likely get one to replace an existing MacBook Pro. But I want to see the colors in the store before choosing. And there will likely be discounts in another month or so. So we will wait a few more weeks before moving forward. Most likely we will get the high end model with 512GB and 8GB RAM.

I have a new MacBook Air with the M1 chip and 8GB RAM is more than enough. With the Intel Macs I always went 16GB but the M1 chip doesn’t seem to need it.

I use a late 2015 iMac with 27” display that works well. I’m waiting until a similar model is available or MacOS no longer supports it (it’s been upgraded to Big Sur).

Last edited:
Most likely we will get the high end model with 512GB and 8GB RAM.

I have a new MacBook Air with the M1 chip and 8GB RAM is more than enough. With the Intel Macs I always went 16GB but the M1 chip doesn’t seem to need it.

Interesting, I always seem to have ram issues on mine, so was thinking 16GB.

Anyone contemplating ordering a new 24" iMac now or plan to wait a while? My 2013 iMac slows down quite a bit, so have been considering upgrading. Also would like a slightly larger screen, as current one is a 21.5".

I think this new model is well worth getting if you're ready for one. I think a 2013 model is ready for a replacement. I think the 24" screen is a nice size too. And if you can afford it, always get more memory. That always extends the life of a computer.

Interesting, I always seem to have ram issues on mine, so was thinking 16GB.

I bought mine with 16GB but later doubled to 32GB (max according to Apple specs). I knew I’d be running a VM and didn’t want to run into any RAM issues.

Some of the older IMacs had user accessible RAM slots so you could add memory after your purchase. You could also buy the memory from third party manufacturers for a fraction of the price.

With this IMac the memory is integrated into the M1 chip so upgrading after purchase is not an option. They max out at 16GB RAM for a $200 upgrade. If you are running memory intensive applications like video editing it’s probably worth it. But my M1 MacBook Air can run ten applications at once and have over 30 Safari tabs open with no noticeable slowdown in performance.

I'm tempted by the 24" iMac but I'd like to see the bigger iMac (rumored 32") before I pull the trigger. Either would be a first time with an Apple computer after a lifetime of WinPC's, but we are committed to iPads and iPhones already. The only part of Win element that I still can't live without is Excel, as Numbers is not quite as capable, but I can have Excel on a Mac. [-]Sheets or also rans[/-]

Last edited:
I use a late 2015 iMac with 27” display that works well. I’m waiting until a similar model is available or MacOS no longer supports it (it’s been upgraded to Big Sur).

Similar here. I can't see getting less than a 27" replacement.

All the current new M1 Macs are basically the same design - just packaged in a few different form factors (laptops, desktop, mini).

I expect we'll see a new 27" (or bigger) by the end of the year as part of the second level Macs (probably all called Pro).

Rumors are that the next M chip will have 16 high performance cores along with the 8 efficiency cores. Also expect more memory, more GPU cores, etc. The Mac will be like the iPad with a "normal tier" and a "Pro tier" across the product line.

Once the iMac Pro with the large screen comes out I may be tempted to upgrade, though my "old 27" iMac is perfectly serviceable. DS had a fine MacBook Pro, but upgraded to the new M1 based one. Of course he does actual W*RK on it...

I like the M1 Mac mini’s myself They’re a relatively good value when paired with one of those double wide monitors ( mine is a Samsung ).

Some of the older IMacs had user accessible RAM slots so you could add memory after your purchase. You could also buy the memory from third party manufacturers for a fraction of the price.

With this IMac the memory is integrated into the M1 chip so upgrading after purchase is not an option. They max out at 16GB RAM for a $200 upgrade. If you are running memory intensive applications like video editing it’s probably worth it. But my M1 MacBook Air can run ten applications at once and have over 30 Safari tabs open with no noticeable slowdown in performance.

This is new information to me. Good to note. When I inquired about a later upgrade, the fellow at the genius bar pointed me to crucial.com so that’s where I got the extra RAM. It is Micron and snapped right in, no problem

Isn't it ~ 10 years. I have never kept a computer that long.

My 2015 iMac replaced a 2007 Dell Dimension C521 (AMD) running Windows Vista (!). Oh my, what a difference!

The (working) Dell is still boxed up and stored. It might have a Linux future yet!

Last edited:
I'm tempted by the 24" iMac but I'd like to see the bigger iMac (rumored 32") before I pull the trigger.

You'll most likely have to wait a bit for that.

iMac's have generally been redesigned on an odd schedule.
Oct 14
May 15
Oct 15
Jun 17
Mat 19
Aug 20
Apr 21

You'll most likely have to wait a bit for that.

iMac's have generally been redesigned on an odd schedule.
Oct 14
May 15
Oct 15
Jun 17
Mat 19
Aug 20
Apr 21
You’re probably right, but who knows. Fortunately my PC is still doing fine and I can always just buy an iMac 24” if I change my mind.

...but I can have Excel on a Mac...

FYI, Excel on a Mac is different than on the PC. Not as much as it used to be but still a little different. Most people will notice the difference, unless you are a power user.

I have a late 2013 iMac and 2018 15" MacBook Pro. The iMac was starting to slow down, so I shut it down. I'm keeping it in case I need it. I now use the MacBook Pro with a 32" Dell Monitor.

I won't go back to a monitor smaller than a 32". So if iMac comes out with a 32" or larger monitor, I'll be interested.

I have never owned an iMac, always laptops and Mac Minis for me. But...

Wow I really want one of these! I am turning it over in my mind to see if I can develop a use-case...unlikely, but still.....

FYI, Excel on a Mac is different than on the PC. Not as much as it used to be but still a little different. Most people will notice the difference, unless you are a power user.
Thanks, I'll look into the differences. I'm somewhere between a power user and a newb...I use more functions than most, but lots still uptapped.

iMac with 4K (or is it 5K) screen?

New 24" has 4.5K retina display. I think the 27" model has 5K display, but it came out last year and does not yet have the new Apple CPU.

Nice!

I guess we have the older 27” 5K screen iMacs - one is an iMac Pro. We are running a lot of legacy photography software.

Has anyone received their new IMac yet? The lead times are so long. Ours is sitting in Anchorage somewhere so it should be here by the end of next week.

Has anyone received their new IMac yet? The lead times are so long. Ours is sitting in Anchorage somewhere so it should be here by the end of next week.

Please give us a report after you get it set up and use it for a while. I would think the Apple stores should be receiving some units soon.

Back
Top Bottom