New iMac

Has anyone received their new IMac yet? The lead times are so long. Ours is sitting in Anchorage somewhere so it should be here by the end of next week.
My iMac went from “Ordered” to “Processing” yesterday when our CC was charged. No notice from Apple yet, I assume they’ll alert me when it ships. My estimated date has been Jul 15-22 all along. Really looking forward to it, I didn’t plan it but my 2013 Dell WinPC probably won’t get along with Win11, so my timing may have been (accidentally) perfect.

Last edited:
Please give us a report after you get it set up and use it for a while. I would think the Apple stores should be receiving some units soon.
I’ve seen the new iMacs at our two local Apple stores, Costco and Best Buy for almost a month. And they’ve had limited inventory for sale, but only the basic $1299 and $1499 configs, not what I wanted.

Last edited:
I’ve seen the new iMacs at our two local Apple stores, Costco and Best Buy for almost a month. And they’ve had limited inventory for sale, but only the basic $1299 and $1499 configs, not what I wanted.

I also would not want the basic config, so will definitely wait to order what I want, but have not done so yet.

My 27” iMac from early 2011 is still going strong and I have no plan to replace it yet. I also have a 2018 MacBook Pro and that’s probably more useful to me at this point than a new iMac. Heck, I’ve been wondering lately if my new 12.9” iPad Pro is not all I need at the moment.

One of the most annoying issues I run into on my 2013 iMac is running out of memory when on FB. I belong to several FB groups and the home feed can overwhelm my mac at times and I have to close FB to continue.

Costco has the iMacs on sale every few months, couple hundred $ off. Something you don't see at the apple store.

We ordered the “basic” mid level config with 8GB RAM and 256GB HD but we still had to custom order from Apple because we wanted a blue trackpad to match the blue IMac. For some reason Apple will not sell the color versions of the trackpad separately.

We ordered the “basic” mid level config with 8GB RAM and 256GB HD but we still had to custom order from Apple because we wanted a blue trackpad to match the blue IMac. For some reason Apple will not sell the color versions of the trackpad separately.
I noticed that too, so I splurged for a mouse, trackpad and keyboard with numeric keypad and touch ID - all color matched. I haven't liked trackpads on past Win devices, but most Mac users I've talked to rave about the Magic Trackpad and don't like the Magic Mouse - so I got both to decide for myself. Mac trackpads appear to be much larger, with more precision, might make a difference.

Has anyone received their new IMac yet? The lead times are so long. Ours is sitting in Anchorage somewhere so it should be here by the end of next week.
Got notice today ours scheduled to arrive 7/16. Fun!

We received ours yesterday. Setup was very quick. So far it seems like a very nice system. Everything is blue, including the power cord and the lightning cables for the keyboard and trackpad. It replaces a 16” MacBook Pro so the extra screen size is great for our aging eyes.

The one thing I am wondering about that might bother me is that the new screens have a white border instead of the traditional black. I do not understand why they made that change.

The one thing I am wondering about that might bother me is that the new screens have a white border instead of the traditional black. I do not understand why they made that change.
FWIW All the YT reviewers had the same first reaction, they hated the white bezels and the “chin.” Now that they’ve all used them for a week or more at home:
  • The iMac is intended to fit in anywhere in a home, not meant for an office or work setting. And they say most homes have white or light color walls so the thin white bezel just visually disappears with a white background for users. After using the new iMac in person most say they “get it” now and they’re fine with it, though some still wish for black bezels. They expect the larger iMac update will target a “pro” or power user market and it will have black bezels.
  • The chin is where the entire motherboard, speakers, fans, etc. is. That’s what allows the new iMac to be so shockingly thin, only 11.5 mm or less than a 1/2”. Had they eliminated the chin, the iMac would have been about twice as thick or had the same thin edge rounded shape like the old ones. Most still say they’d still prefer no chin, who cares how thick a desktop PC is? The reviewers also seem to hope the large iMac won’t have a “chin.”
We’ll see. Apple seems to get products right more than wrong, even pushing the envelope (first to eliminate floppy drives, disk drives, headphone jacks, back to white bezels, etc.)…

Last edited:
Ideally they would have built a borderless IMac that looks like the Pro Monitor that sells for $6K. But they still don’t have the technology to completely eliminate all of the stuff that goes behind the chin. So this was probably the best compromise they could come up with. I’m just glad it’s something different than the silver bezel that’s been around for a decade now. The white does look nice with the blue frame.

Easy set up and works great. Ordered through Costco and it was delivered to our Costco in two days. Got used to the white bezel in about 2 minutes. The chin adds a splash of color and really just helps to hide that you want the monitor up higher anyway. Really like the newer features like the ease to make my ipad an extra monitor.

Well I've had my new iMac for two weeks tomorrow, and I've deliberately spent several hours each day using it and learning how Mac OS is intended to be used - AND I LOVE IT!!! I just fired up my old Dell PC for the first time in 12 days, and I noticed the keyboard was absolute cheap JUNK by comparison, and it was SO SLOW I can't believe it tolerated it as long as I did. Too bad I'll miss out on Win11 [/sarcasm]. The Mac OS file structure isn't as intuitive as Windows IME, but not at all hard to understand/get used to.

Good riddance...YMMV

I got the Magic Mouse, the Magic Trackpad, and the Magic Keyboard with numerical keypad. I and using all three and like them, though I can understand why some folks don't like the mouse - it would be uncomfortable if used for hours on end, but fortunately for me I don't use a mouse constantly like some necessarily do.

Last edited:
Well "The Mac OS file structure isn't as intuitive as Windows IME, but not at all hard to understand/get used to.

For me, I use the MAC OS search (command/space) and hardly ever need the directory except to initially put stuff somewhere. It's as good as google on the HDD. WIN10 just cannot get that working. Note for search you can exclude folders (my tax/finance folders I do not have searchable). Anyway, use it and you'll never go back. It just works! Want to open news.app...comdspace ne and its there.

Last edited by a moderator:
The only complaint I have about the apple mouse is it goes thru batteries very quickly.

I may have to speed up my order as my screen and power saver stopped working and cannot figure out how to get it working again.

@galaxy: good but if you use it alot and like me dont want hands to leave the keyboard to move a mouse with -use the comd space. Try it: comdspace mon (or gene) and hit return. It might take a few entries for it to know its your fav. But go deeper and open the file you want not a folder...

The only complaint I have about the apple mouse is it goes thru batteries very quickly.

I use the rechargeable magic mouse and just plug it in overnight once a week. That's overkill, since its battery lasts longer than that -- it's just easier to remember to do it on Sunday night.

Well I've had my new iMac for two weeks tomorrow, and I've deliberately spent several hours each day using it and learning how Mac OS is intended to be used - AND I LOVE IT!!!
That’s awesome!

I use the rechargeable magic mouse and just plug it in overnight once a week. That's overkill, since its battery lasts longer than that -- it's just easier to remember to do it on Sunday night.
Like I said I’ve used my mouse, trackpad and keyboard several hours/day for two weeks, and they’re all still at 64-81% battery status. So they’ll easily last a month for me, and the mouse is the only one I can’t use while charging - but I’ll use the trackpad then if needed. Nice.

Last edited:
I was just responding to DFW_M5.

I bought my first Apple computer in 1980, and my first Mac in 1987.
I spent four years in the 90s with a software development company that did custom Mac software for Fortune 50 companies.

I love it when I go in to the local Apple store and interact with employees who weren't born yet when I was writing user manuals for Mac software.

I have very large hands and the Magic Mouse just doesn’t work for me. I do like that the top of it works like a trackpad, but it feels like a little kid’s mouse to me and my hand cramps up in no time.

Yeah, I need to work on using more keyboard shortcuts not just command + space. When I used AutoCAD on a PC for 6 hours out of my day, I got so I had the right hand on the mouse and the left hand on the keyboard and got very efficient. If you’ve ever driven a CAD machine you’ll know what I mean.

Back
Top Bottom