New problem post retirement

I understand people using their cellphones for time and calendar functions; but, for me NOT carrying a cell phone constantly was one of the joys of retirement. I never carry it in or around the house and leave it home about 1/3rd of the time while running errors, etc.

To each their own!

Always wore a watch for work. Stopped using one after ER except when going on trips. I back into the day of the week by determining my daily routine at the gym. Other than that, everyday is essentially Saturday! 😃

Sent from my iPad using Early Retirement Forum

I haven't worn a watch since 1991. Clocks are everywhere, so I never saw a need to strap one on my wrist. I've had a phone with the day/time on it since the mid 1990s.

Fast-forward to last year... I bought a Moto 360 Android smartwatch. At first, I wore it all the time. But the novelty wore off after a couple months. So I now wear it only when going out, or traveling, or on a long drive so I can use the watch for hands-free, navigation, notifications, etc.

I quit wearing a watch about 5 years ago. I heard a news story that young people were not wearing watches because they just looked at their cell phones. That was an epiphany for me! Plus I was looking for a new watch band at the time which was a hassle. Been looking at my phone ever since to find the time.

However, I'm still pretty conscious of the time and maintain a Google calendar. Retirement can be busy too!

Knowing the day of the week isn't a problem for me during the school year since I still have the dichotomy between weekdays and weekends due to school calendar.

Now that we're in summer break, it's trickier. All those "doing anything fun this weekend?" / "how was your weekend?" questions throw me off since we're equally busy on weekdays and weekends (which is to say, not very busy at all). Not really a big deal except some places aren't open on Sundays, and when we go downtown to museums parking is more difficult during the weekdays 9-5 (so I have to leave 10 minutes earlier and walk an extra 3 blocks).

Though I have a phone to tell me what day it is, and wouldn't consider getting a watch.

I saw this years ago and when I retired I found it again for the lake. It's close enough for me.

ImageUploadedByEarly Retirement Forum1467168249.680632.jpg

Back
Top Bottom