New project for hubby and I.... Tent on wheels

Defiantly looks like a fun plan... A good friend loves their set up they have been running and adapting for about 6 years now. We have also given it some serious thought.... So if you dont mind some ideas... Seeing you already have tent camping gear and experience as did they.
They have kept everything modular. They have totes set up with their gear for different trips. They have folding cots that work either in the van or tent, with the sleeping gear, outdoor kitchen stuff, even a porta-potty tote. Depending on the trip plans just grab the needed totes. Wired in lights and inverter with solar panels. they have a bunch of tie downs to secure stuff... Stack the needed totes and coolers, cargo net over to secure. THEN... load 4wheeler, or 2 duel sport bikes... and can hang Kayaks too. They also have a camper that adds a different dimension... they've done several cross country trips leaving the camper as a base camp and then jump in, take the bikes to explore BLM areas with shorter trip camping in the van.
Just food for thought.

Good idea.

I tried to talk DH into the folding cot idea. (More versatile vs building a bench bed.) But given his height (6'4") he doesn't fit well on cots.

But the tote idea is already shaping up. We already store our gear in totes... and are designing around totes under the beds.

I like it! I would go with the benches with folding tops for lots of storage below. Stoves, hibachi, lanterns, etc. Carry a "screen room tent" to set up outside with folding chairs and you are good to go. Can run around easily to day trips, supplies w/o having to be driving a huge RV.

We use our van for hauling things sometimes, so everything needs to be easily removable. DH built the bed frames for that purpose. We store many supplies in totes under the beds. For stuff we need to access more often, we use a stack of three of those large plastic Serilite drawers, found cheap at a thrift store. They're held against the wall with cargo straps. Our tent on wheels looks nothing like the fancy Van Life rigs out there, but is versatile and completely functional.

Incidently, we always thought we'd be doomed in the event of a crash, with the beds and everything else breaking loose and smashing around inside. However, earlier this year DH got rear-ended hard on I-5 in our previous van, which had the same setup as our new rig. The plywood sheets used for the bed platform along with the frame securely bracketed and screwed to the walls and floor did not break loose and actually seemed to support the sides of the van as it got pushed across 3 lanes in the second part of the crash. The Sterilite drawers held up fine, as did DH. The van was totaled from the rear impact though.

..... Carry a "screen room tent" to set up outside with folding chairs and you are good to go.........
These work well. Check out the Clam and Gazelle models that just pop into shape as opposed to the typical 4 post canopies. They're so much easier to set up and take down.

Cool! I’ll bet you will really enjoy this new toy. CA has so many places you can enjoy this, not to mention the other Western states.

How about a bunk bed? You don't need to build anything using the disc o cot which leaves more floor space for other things or just for walking / passing each other.

Having a portable bed also means you can use it in a real tent camping scenario, providing your tent is high enough (e.g. teepee).

https://youtu.be/3YEyHdM-y_g

Last edited:
First bed (extra long for hubby) is in. It is not how I designed it. (We had several design differences but since he controls the power tools, he won.) But it works. Lots of storage under. Top flips up. Toe kick and rounded edges at the corner to avoid cursing in the middle of the night.

My side will, hopefully, be able to fully fold up.

Attachments

• vanBed1.jpg
    vanBed1.jpg
    409.9 KB · Views: 107
  • VanBed1a.jpg
    VanBed1a.jpg
    438.8 KB · Views: 110
Looks Great! Did you talk about bunks just on one side, they could be low profile?

That looks amazing!!! What a cool project and yes, I lose the battle sometimes too since DH can work the power tools! Have you thought about having a fold up cot for your side?

Quick update.

* One of the beds/storage bench is complete. The other (mine) is not. But we have a temp workaround till it's done.

* Ordered, received, and installed a new radio /display that supports android auto. Unfortunately, the in-door speakers appear to be dead. But the android auto features (displaying gps etc.) work well. I've got two speakers ordered that should arrive Sunday.

* Ordered/received window screen netting and reflective insulated stuff (not sure the name - but the stuff used for windshield covers). In process of cutting/edging, and attaching velcro for the windows.

* Got some generic camping stuff - better camp chairs, another wireless fan, etc.

First camping trip in the van is next week. An overnight an hour away at Doheney State beach. Using this to identify what we want to improve.

First trip out with the #TentOnWheels. Life is good. Still need to finish my bed with option of removable bucket seat w/ seatbelt. Dig adapted to smaller portable crate for travel just fine. Still have some AV work to do... But new stereo works with Android auto for Maps and Spotify.PXL_20210817_215149835.jpgIMG_20210817_150517_120.jpgIMG_20210817_150517_048.jpg

Sounds good! Did the dogs sleep in the van?

Looking great Rodi!
A quick note, those door speakers might be fine but the typical failure mode is in the wire where it bends all the time at the door hinges. Maybe you already fixed that.

We bought a Jeep Gladiator and put an AluCab canopy camper on it. We used to camp every few weeks and over the years we went to every few months due to not wanting to set up a tent and sleep on the ground. Now we are back to every few weeks when night temps are lower than 65 deg. We have camped at 20 deg in comfort. And we can drive darn near anywhere we want.

You will enjoy the van.

This is a small van. I don't see any way you're putting in a bed that you can get out from both sides. I do agree with your other points.:)

It's actually a long wheelbase Dodge van with the standard rear end. Most would build install a pedestal about 30" tall to put a bed lengthways. And storage goes underneath the bed. Others would put swivel chair bases on the driver and passengers' seats.

My buddy had a long wheelbase van with the extended rear end, and we used to take it to ball games and on nature trips. With a high rise and a dual line Holley carb, it'd cruise at 110 mph. It was originally an ambulance.

Camping World online is a good place to look for van and camper accessories.

I thought I'd update this thread with our beater van project. We've used it for camping several times and have a few trips planned this month as well. Neither of us liked the butt-ugly brown color. DH wanted a brighter color that could be seen well at night and during the day. I suggested making it like the Scooby Doo Van - the Mystery Machine. Surprisingly he was enthusiastic. So - we now have a beater van that is inspired by the Mystery Machine (couldn't do it exact because of the windows and the shape. I guess that means hubby is Fred and I am Daphne... and our wonder dog is Scooby Doo!

Here are some pictures along the way.

Attachments

• PXL_20210817_200122657.MP.jpg
    PXL_20210817_200122657.MP.jpg
    783.6 KB · Views: 97
  • PXL_20211019_212810383.jpg
    PXL_20211019_212810383.jpg
    670.5 KB · Views: 87
  • PXL_20220102_224656527.jpg
    PXL_20220102_224656527.jpg
    818.6 KB · Views: 82
More pics

Attachments

• PXL_20220102_224806460.jpg
    PXL_20220102_224806460.jpg
    757.3 KB · Views: 81
  • PXL_20220102_224656527.jpg
    PXL_20220102_224656527.jpg
    818.6 KB · Views: 77
Well, you won't have any trouble spotting that in a parking lot!:LOL:

I thought I'd update this thread with our beater van project. We've used it for camping several times and have a few trips planned this month as well. Neither of us liked the butt-ugly brown color. DH wanted a brighter color that could be seen well at night and during the day. I suggested making it like the Scooby Doo Van - the Mystery Machine. Surprisingly he was enthusiastic. So - we now have a beater van that is inspired by the Mystery Machine (couldn't do it exact because of the windows and the shape. I guess that means hubby is Fred and I am Daphne... and our wonder dog is Scooby Doo!

Here are some pictures along the way.

Great!
Did you spray it yourself ?

I painted a car when I was 16 with a roller brush, the neighbor said from 30 feet it looked pretty good.

Back
Top Bottom