New Weight Loss/Obesity Drugs Could Transform Economy

Thoughts?

I'm glad I bought 940 shares of LLY about 15 years ago when it was under 35.

Insurance companies haven't been lining up to cover the drugs, which costs somewhere between $900 and $1200 per month. Medicare does not cover them at all.

Thoughts?

I have zero interest in my insurance premiums rising in order for insurance companies and Medicare to cover expensive drugs used for weight reduction. If patent protections could be lessened and manufacturing efficiencies enhanced causing the price to drop substantially, that would be another story.

Last edited:
I have zero interest in my insurance premiums rising in order for insurance companies and Medicare to cover expensive drugs used for weight reduction. If patent protections could be lessened and manufacturing efficiencies enhanced causing the price to drop substantially, that would be another story.
In 7 to 12 years the brand exclusivity may end and allow lower priced generics But I would like to see Medicare patients taken care of with drugs that they need. Obesity is a health risk and could save on health care costs in the long run.

It’s not really the weight, it’s the metabolic disorder which for many culminates in type 2 diabetes and puts one at higher risk for many “modern” diseases. The metabolic disorder is what needs to be treated. Gaining weight is a side effect of poor metabolic heath.

Absolutely! :cool:

In 7 to 12 years the brand exclusivity may end and allow lower priced generics But I would like to see Medicare patients taken care of with drugs that they need. Obesity is a health risk and could save on health care costs in the long run.

I would prefer to see any Medicare cost assistance for the use of this drug for weight reduction on a "need basis." You're morbidly obese and very poor, then you qualify for cost assistance. You'd like to try the drug to help you take off 20# and you're upper middle class, pay for it yourself.

Nope. These are diabetic drugs that have been used for years. They are well understood. Ozempic was FDA approved in 2017.

My diabetic friend got liver damage form it as I understand and had to quit taking. . . I don't remember if she was allergic or what they decided - it was when it first came out

Last edited:
Wow. Some pretty judgmental comments so far.

My DW NEVER had a weight problem. Went through menopause several years ago and gained significant weight. After changing diet and continuing exercise (she always worked out at gym and did bikes/treadmills) she could not impact her wait gain. It is a SIGNIFICANT impact to her physical health, AND mental well being. She was referred to an endocrinologist recently where they determine she has a (verified) thyroid issue. They worked for 6 months to get TSH numbers correct, and she continued modified diet and exercise, but the weight persists. She is borderline diabetic at a1c of 5.9, but her Dr recommended she take Zepbound. She is only 6 weeks in, so just ramped up the dose and we will see if it helps. I am hoping so for both her physical and mental well being. It is VERY tough to see her have such a big body change from what she has had her entire life.

I understand that there are some that have a problem, probably from early years through their adult life, but there are other situations where something else may be/is the driver, so don't paint everyone with one broad brush please.

Thanks for letting me rant.

Flieger

Flieger, I have been on thyroid meds since childhood but still have symptoms despite good blood work. They told me that some people are less efficient at converting the meds to work optimally (or something like that). They perk up the lab reports but . . . IDK it was a long time ago so apologies if I don't have details.

For SOME overweight people, like my sister, they would publicly eat small amounts, say all the correct things (blatant lies), blame it on her hormones.

And then almost like a drug addict, fulfill her need to eat secretly so nobody knows.

I have a sister who is the exact same. She will demolish a bag of cookies, a pie, chocolates at night when no one is around. She says she eats fresh salads, fruits, etc but I know that to be false.

As a result she is huge. Major back and knee issues. She be on a scooter any day now.

I would be very, very concerned about taking any of those new weight control meds for a long period of time. Who knows what the long term effects are. Great for the pharmas though...they get someone hooked.

Flieger, I have been on thyroid meds since childhood but still have symptoms despite good blood work. They told me that some people are less efficient at converting the meds to work optimally (or something like that). They perk up the lab reports but . . . IDK it was a long time ago so apologies if I don't have details.

Yes, I think this is why she (Dr) made the suggestion. I am fine with paying the cost if it helps DW.

As for long term effects, I fought my Dr to go on some medications (won't say exactly what) with the "I am worried about the long term impact of taking this mediation". He politely told me that "you probably don't need to be worried about long term impacts at this point". :LOL:

Flieger

Eating disorders are real.

It can be very difficult to let go of a sugar high or let go of the compulsive behavior.

Sugar cravings are a real thing as well as the strong dose of dopamine it can induce.

Avoiding sweets goes along way to getting rid of sugar cravings, but psychological issues are a whole nother ballgame.

For SOME overweight people, like my sister, they would publicly eat small amounts, say all the correct things (blatant lies), blame it on her hormones.

And then almost like a drug addict, fulfill her need to eat secretly so nobody knows.

Yeah, I know that happens- a friend said his wife and her sister, both seriously overweight, live on protein bars and junk food and then complain that they can't lose weight. It's one of the reasons I noted that we need to address possible psychological reasons behind overeating for some people.

OK, major thread drift, or thread swerve here. The subject is how a new weight loss drug could affect the economy.

Directly related to this forum the article states that "employee productivity could increase as Americans see the long-term benefits of weight loss and stay in the workforce longer."

Other possible changes to the economy and/or the world in general could be:

1. People will be eating less. That means less food needed, less crops needed to be grown. Perhaps more importantly, less food packaging created and thrown away meaning less garbage in the world.

2. Fewer sick days. Less diabetes, less heart disease, less high blood pressure means fewer sick days and more productive workers.

3. Less fuel consumption. Fuel like gasoline and airplane fuel. The article mentioned that United Airlines estimated they would save $80 million a year in fuel expenses if the average passenger weighed just 10 pounds less. Think about the savings in gas mileage for buses if instead of hauling around 50 passengers weighing 250 lbs. they were hauling around 50 passengers weighing 200 lbs. That's a reduction of 2,500 lbs. per busload.

4. Less cloth and materials needed for clothing. People will be thinner so smaller sized clothing will be more popular. Also, people might spend more on more stylish clothing now that they are thinner. I imagine the sales of sweat pants and fleece products in general will decline.

5. Food companies with pre-packaged products will likely be able to get away with smaller packages yet maintain the same price. The consumer won't be eating it as fast as before but the smaller sized portions will make it last as long as it did before.

6. Fast food, snack foods, candy, sweets, will all see a decline in consumption. I would sell my stock in Hostess products pronto! LOL.

GLP1 Food Use.jpg

7. Beauty products might see an uptick in sales. With weight loss, people's self-esteem will be improved. They might spend more money on beauty products. Heck, sales of Rogaine will likely increase.

8. Dating websites will get busier.

9. Certain crops will take hits in demand. I'm looking at corn as the decrease in the use of corn syrup will certainly be affected.

Anybody else have any theories on what happens to the economy if a good chunk of people loss a good chunk of person?

Last edited:
1. Fewer people will work out, causing gyms to close. 2. Pizza quality will improve as places selling substandard pizza will go out of business. 3. Airplane seats won't need to be so large, so airlines will squeeze in even more people per flight. 4. Cars can be smaller, offering less protection to occupants, increasing highway deaths. 5. Demand for food will decrease, so food prices will drop, causing more farms to turn into housing developments, to house the increased population due to cheaper food. 6. For more possible effects, see the movie Downsizing.

There are a lot of people who have issues that drove obesity. Just saying diet and exercise doesn't work for them. Until you have experienced their issues, it isn't fair to judge them

I am not one of those. I gained significant weight due to my career and lack of determination to overcome. Before then I was fit, working out every day and not worried about gaining weight. I was promoted to an executive position, traveled extensively, went to lots of business dinners. Worked 60 hours a week and was always tired. Then was in meetings all day long with little exercise. My problem was when I am tired I eat to give me some energy between meetings etc.

I remember another executive always saying how he invested thousands of dollars in his weight so why would he want to lose it

Then I retired. Slept better, started moving more and lost 12 pounds in 15 months. My Dr suggested I take Wegovy and so I gave it a try. I still had a BMI of 33 even after losing that first 14 pounds. I have been on it for 5 months and lost 44 additional pounds (58 total)

Not only do I walk 4 miles a day (weather permitting) I also have started 20 minutes of weights which I will expand as time goes on. I am making those life changes to help me maintain afterwards

Since I started Wegovy:
I stopped using my CPAP
I stopped taking High Blood Pressure Meds
My Knees use to hurt and I had to use the handrail to go up the stairs. No more, I can run up and down the stairs
I feel better in every way

There is a Redditt forum on this stuff and there are people who have had weight issues since they were kids. Many have tried to lose weight with diet and exercise, but haven't succeeded. I am convinced having walked this path that there are those that have medical conditions that can't be written off due to lack of exercise and diet.

There are also those as stated above who don't make lifestyle changes and will need to be on this for life to avoid weight gain.

The study developed by the company that wants to sell this for life stated that most people gained weight back. That doesn't mean all though. What would have been great is to see what those that did not gain weight did to be successful. I am guessing I am guessing that is the population that made lifestyle changes.

I am confident That once I get where I want (another 12 pounds) that I will be able to maintain without these drugs for the long term. I do plan on staying on them for 6 months after I reach my goal just to let my body stabilize, but also will change the does rate from once a week to every two weeks

I am fortunate my Insurance covers it or I wouldn't have tried it. It costs me $100 a month. Since I am 62, I will be off it well before Medicare

This has dramatically improved my quality of life. It was rough going the first couple of months with side effects, but now I experience zero side effects

Was 238 pounds when I retired 5 ft 10"
224 when I started Wegovy
180 pounds now
I want to get to 168, which was my fit weight before I became so successful :)

It is easy to dismiss those who need this as lazy, but I don't believe that is true

I likely ( but not certain) could have gotten there eventually over years. BUT I am happy I used this tool to help me. Judge me or not, I am comfortable with what I have done and would do it again in a second.

Attachments

• B&A.jpg
    B&A.jpg
    260.2 KB · Views: 24
Last edited:
OK, major thread drift, or thread swerve here. The subject is how a new weight loss drug could affect the economy.
<snip>
Anybody else have any theories on what happens to the economy if a good chunk of people loss a good chunk of person?

But there's no way a "good chunk" is going to do anything unless the drugs are readily available and affordable to a good chunk. That's not the case, and won't be until patents expire.

I don't expect it any major changes to the population at large (no pun intended) for decades. Many won't want it, won't like it. Botox is 25 years old and plenty of us still have wrinkles (i know not the same but still.)

And businesses that profit from people staying overweight, and in fact encourage and enable that will see the writing on the wall and adjust, or become Blockbuster. Others will fill the void. Always have, always will.

There are people who simply cannot drop their body weight to "safe" levels, I have no judgment for that, and hope we can refrain from that in this thread as it's not helpful. Some people have struggled their whole life and will never be under 25BMI by diet/exercise.

That aside, I simply don't know how there are THAT many overweight people with disposable income upwards of $1300 a month to throw at these drugs. I don't think it's covered by insurance in most cases.

But if it is impacting the economy? Junk and fast food taking a hit? Good for all of us. We all know that those foods pack in sugars and fats with the whole point of making us want to eat more of them.
They're buying from compounding pharmacies in many cases, I don't know what the costs are but probably way cheaper. My son and his wife are both taking these and have lost a ton of weight and look great I have to admit. My son does admit that he rarely ever eats, he has no desire to do so. His wife is a nurse and is injecting him as well as herself. She's actually referred many friends to this pharmacy, so many that they don't have to pay for their orders. I'm upset because he has not told his doctor he's taking them and he has a heart issue. His lame excuse is he does not have to go back to see his doctor for a few months yet and he'll tell him at that time. I'm pretty sure she is even injecting her mother who has MS.
I just worry that she might lose her license if something were to happen to any of them but neither of them seem to be concerned about the possible consequences or side effects.

At $100 / month, I'd want to use it.

I'm 40 lbs heavier than I was when 20 and fit, since muscle weighs more than fat, I really need to lose about 50lbs to get to my age 20's thinness.

But being older, I'd just be happy to lose the 30lbs->40lbs.

I'm not fat enough to qualify by weight and I don't have other health issues. So I'm out of luck to even have the choice.

At $1,200 I'm too cheap to spend the money.

As for the thread topic:
Lots more people getting thin, would mean more qualifying bodies for the Armed Services, which is currently having trouble finding folks young and fit enough to qualify.

Birth control companies and condom makers would get an increase in business.

They're buying from compounding pharmacies in many cases, I don't know what the costs are but probably way cheaper. My son and his wife are both taking these and have lost a ton of weight and look great I have to admit. My son does admit that he rarely ever eats, he has no desire to do so. His wife is a nurse and is injecting him as well as herself. She's actually referred many friends to this pharmacy, so many that they don't have to pay for their orders. I'm upset because he has not told his doctor he's taking them and he has a heart issue. His lame excuse is he does not have to go back to see his doctor for a few months yet and he'll tell him at that time. I'm pretty sure she is even injecting her mother who has MS.
I just worry that she might lose her license if something were to happen to any of them but neither of them seem to be concerned about the possible consequences or side effects.

Since they could self inject, I don't see it as a problem, if they are smart enough to say they self injected.

I had a diabetic client using the insulin in a needle (way cheaper) so she would draw the amount after testing and self inject without hesitation. I suppose after a few times one gets used to it.

I'm pretty sure she is even injecting her mother who has MS.
Pretty sure the injecting isn't something a nurse is required for. It looks like a small at home thing anyone can do.

But there's no way a "good chunk" is going to do anything unless the drugs are readily available and affordable to a good chunk. That's not the case, and won't be until patents expire.

Zepbound was FDA approved in mid-November. Eli Lilly had a press release on Monday saying that 25,000 new people per week were taking the drug in December.

That's after 6 weeks.

I expect insurance companies will start covering it because of all the side benefits to their bottom line.

My doctor put me on Ozempic for my Type 2 diabetes early last year. However, as others have mentioned, even with a prescription it's almost impossible for diabetics to get it with any degree of reliability or regularity. At my Walgreens I could get maybe enough to cover every 4th week, and then follow that up with three times as long with none. At some point the scarcity begins to seem genuinely silly. So, I quit using it because I didn't think using it that erratically was a smart idea..

Then my doctor switched my prescription over to Mounjaro which is a similar drug that is more easily available (here), but my insurance wanted to charge me a fortune for that one so it was not possible to switch.

This is my honest assessment of Ozempic's effects on me, only: As far as I could tell, all Ozempic ever did for me was lessen my appetite so that I would eat less. One could try smelling a whiff of human excrement right before each meal and get the same effect IMO. Sorry if TMI. Anyway, for me it was not worth the hassle, especially since seriously bad side effects are apparently starting to be reported by some patients.

My FIL controlled a lot of his diabetes with a strict diet. The man was incredible at how he would refuse things offered to him to eat, and the small portions he would take.

One time I congratulated him on his diet and he said he was hungry all the time !!

So these new drugs sound great to remove the hunger signals, as I know I'm uncomfortable when hungry.

As for the thread topic:
This could affect advertising, once a large enough percentage of the population are taking the drug, an advertisement showing a glistening rare steak could turn off people from going to the restaurant, better would be to show the clean decor and shiny lights.

Miracle weight loss drugs will have ZERO impact on the economy because people will continue to get fatter and fatter. For every one person that loses weight there will be ten that explode.

Back
Top Bottom