NFL: 2020 Season

I find it hard to compare QB's (or many positions for that matter) of today with those that played 20 to 30+ years ago.... The game/rules has changed so much...So (IMO) while most of those names in the past few posts belong in such a discussion, it's hard to rank them from different era's of the game.

So my votes for the best "active" QB's playing today would be Brady, Mahomes, then maybe Wilson and possibly Brees. Rodgers is good but I don't think he plays "consistently" at the level of these other guys....

Rodgers has the highest quarterback rating of any player ever. That's not possible without being consistant. Considering the lack of talent around him, it is one of the greatest accomplishments in the history of the NFL

Rodgers has the highest quarterback rating of any player ever. That's not possible without being consistant. Considering the lack of talent around him, it is one of the greatest accomplishments in the history of the NFL
Anything is possible... But I'll agree that a QB needs good team members in order to excel. I've watched a lot of his games and "to me" he has a lot of "off" games... Maybe it's his team that makes him seem off? I still think he's up there, just not on top... YMMV.

Anything is possible... But I'll agree that a QB needs good team members in order to excel. I've watched a lot of his games and "to me" he has a lot of "off" games... Maybe it's his team that makes him seem off? I still think he's up there, just not on top... YMMV.

Fair enough. As I said before, it is very subjective.

The problem with top whatever lists is which stats do you use?

I enjoy the gunslinger style myself.

The problem with top whatever lists is which stats do you use?

I enjoy the gunslinger style myself.

Not me. I'll take Rodgers over Favre and to a lesser degree Brady over Manning. Sure Favre and Manning had a lot of 4th quarter comebacks but a lot of the time they had to come back because of throwing interceptions. Favre has the most of anyone ever and Rodgers has the lowest interception % ever.

Sorry, didn't mean to start a religious war. I'm not a fan of top lists either. I'm personally partial to the old timers who called their own plays. I admit to Brady being GOAT, and then I guess Montana, but after that I go with Unitas. I watched him a lot. He had the skills, and was a real leader. And I left Joe Namath off my previous list. I hated him as much as Brady, but he was a great QB.

Saints are taking apart Tampa Bay. Brady has thrown 3 interceptions so far. I don't know if anyone is watching this, but its ugly for TB.

Can't watch it anymore... What a disaster for TB.....

Saints are taking apart Tampa Bay. Brady has thrown 3 interceptions so far. I don't know if anyone is watching this, but its ugly for TB.

Its background noise for some computing stuff I am playing with. I was loosely listening and did not take a close look at the score until just before halftime - "Holy cr*p, Saints up 28-0:confused: This with TB adding Antonio Brown??"

Now it is even worse, 38-0. Just my luck to start Gronk and Succop on my fantasy team... :(

38-3 Saints over Bucs at home, how is that even possible? Bet that was a fun locker room after. I assume they’ll take it out on the Panthers next weekend. We quit watching after the first half at 28-0.

How about Josh Allen over Russell Wilson. If Wilson is an MVP candidate, Allen is too after what Buffalo did yesterday

#BillsMafia

Brady was looking like he should have retired.

How about Josh Allen over Russell Wilson. If Wilson is an MVP candidate, Allen is too after what Buffalo did yesterday

#BillsMafia

MVP as of now would be Mahomes or Rodgers. Those are the only two choices so far. Allen, Wilson, and Brees could all be considered for 3rd place but no higher as of now.

It's still early in the 4th quarter but TB looks 100% better against Carolina than they did against the Saints last week... Hope I'm not speaking to soon.

Last edited:
I don't see Russell Wilson still being in the MVP race after the last couple of weeks.

I don't see Russell Wilson still being in the MVP race after the last couple of weeks.

If MVP voting was tonight then only two people should get any votes: Mahomes and Rodgers. Mahomes gets my vote. No one else is close right now.

I hate to be that guy but I think the GOAT gets some consideration. The Bucs are 7-3 having been 17-31 over the last 3 seasons and the team he left was 12-4 last year with him and although today's game isn't in the books yet, the Pats look pretty dismal without him.

I hate to be that guy but I think the GOAT gets some consideration. The Bucs are 7-3 having been 17-31 over the last 3 seasons and the team he left was 12-4 last year with him and although today's game isn't in the books yet, the Pats look pretty dismal without him.

Last week killed him. He had 0 TD's, 3 INTs, and a 40 rating. He has the worst completion % of all the top QBs and the second most INTs. He is definitely not top 2 in MVP as of now. Season is not over so there is a chance but he needs to stop throwing INTs.

At the end of the day the MVP isn't necessarily the player with the best 'numbers' and no way is one game in mid-season going to figure into the decision in any significant way. I would say that any quarterback who wins can throw as many INTs as he wants and Brady has an edge in playing for a team that everyone knows was very mediocre before he arrived. Not a huge fanboy and I don't expect the Bucs to go far but I wouldn't bet a huge amount against them with Brady.

In the last ten years only three QBs have been both MVP and had the highest QB rating: Brady (2010), Rodgers (2011) and Matt Ryan (2016) and in the 5 years before that there is only one - Brady (2007).

Last edited:
Sorry, didn't mean to start a religious war. I'm not a fan of top lists either. I'm personally partial to the old timers who called their own plays. I admit to Brady being GOAT,
If you include cheaters :) And disregard how he didn't call his own plays like Manning (and Unitas)...and having arguably the greatest HC ever...and on and on....

Really greatest ever QB conversations I found are usually about as pointless as discussions about politics and religion, but I'd only suggest that people realize there's a reason there's a 5 yr wait from the time someone retires before they can get in the HOF. You need the perspective of hindsight.

One PS, I have to add props for mentioning Montana and Unitas, who IMO are #2 and #1 on the list. Most people have no clue about the greats from years past and just look at stats and SB wins. Like the old saying goes, stats are for losers. There's so much more that goes into greatness.

At the very least dear God in the name of mercy can we make using the acronym "GOAT" a crime punishable by death. ;)

Anyway an interesting year so far. I still think it's easily Ravens or Chiefs vs Bucs or Seahawks and the AFC team wins easily UNLESS it's the Bucs. Brady has a charmed life and a way of winning when he has no business doing so.

I also didn't mean to antagonize anyone by referring to Brady as the GOAT but the fact that you give him a shot with the Bucs given his age and the fact that it is the Bucs in his first year with him at QB speaks volumes. I don't think comparisons across many years are really possible but I feel lucky to have seen the likes of Starr, Unitas, Namath, Staubach, Elway and Brees play. In the end, I still think it is Brady. Montana is there and most admired by me is Peyton Manning who must be one of the most insanely competitive athletes of all time.

Did y’all see the Cardinals Hail Mary to steal a win from the Bills? Sheeeesh! They don’t work often, but when there’s no other choice why not.

And this catch by Jordan Reed was one of the greatest I’ve ever seen.

https://youtu.be/gKpPzWXV15U

Last edited:
Did y’all see the Cardinals Hail Mary to steal a win from the Bills? Sheeeesh! They don’t work often, but when there’s no other choice why not.

And this catch by Jordan Reed was one of the greatest I’ve ever seen.

https://youtu.be/gKpPzWXV15U

That was crazy. A perfect throw and catch.

I saw a headline calling that the Hail Murray :cool:.

At the end of the day the MVP isn't necessarily the player with the best 'numbers' and no way is one game in mid-season going to figure into the decision in any significant way. I would say that any quarterback who wins can throw as many INTs as he wants and Brady has an edge in playing for a team that everyone knows was very mediocre before he arrived. Not a huge fanboy and I don't expect the Bucs to go far but I wouldn't bet a huge amount against them with Brady.

In the last ten years only three QBs have been both MVP and had the highest QB rating: Brady (2010), Rodgers (2011) and Matt Ryan (2016) and in the 5 years before that there is only one - Brady (2007).

I agree that W/L record is important for MVP. The best player from a playoff team should be the MVP. To say that interceptions don't matter as long as you win is obsurd. If you throw a bunch of interceptions then the team didn't win because of you, they won despite you.

Back
Top Bottom