Nitro Make Everything Better!

Midpack

Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...
Finally found Nitro Pepsi Draft Cola, it’s wonderful - and I can’t stand Pepsi (only Coca-Cola will do, so I hope they do Coke Nitro). Evidently there’s a Nitro Vanilla Pepsi too.

Cold brew coffee is better with nitro. And beer, at least dark beers like Guinness and Firestone Walker Nitro Merlin Milk Stout, are much better. Nitro makes everything smoother and creamier than CO2. :D

Hmm. Luddite here. Please explain what nitro is and why it makes everything better.

dark beers like Guinness and Firestone Walker Nitro Merlin Milk Stout, are much better. Nitro makes everything smoother and creamier than CO2. :D

Hmmmm..... Interesting.....

I've been known to consume a bit of Guinness Stout, both the canned version (they call it Pub Draught) with the little nitro-thingy rattling around in the can and also on draught where it's delivered by CO2. I prefer the draft when the pub knows what they're doing and "pour a perfect pint." I wonder if they're now using nitro instead of CO2 with the kegs of draught? I didn't think so. I'll ask over at the local pub next time I'm in.

Also, are you referring to Guinness Draft, Guinness Extra Stout, Guinness Foreign Extra Stout or :confused:?? Guinness is a big company and makes several dark beers/stouts.

Edit: Went and asked my buddy Mr. Google and got myself educated a bit:

https://www.guinness.com/en-us/our-...Urcb0YT2kX8agfVUKpxkVSU_4FMNd-KUaAm7YEALw_wcB

Nitrogenated Beer
Originated By GUINNESS In 1959.

Also, why would they waste perfectly good nitrogen on cola drinks when it's best used in beer?

Last edited:
I have no idea what you all are talking about.

I just googled it and noticed some eBay ads asking $40 for a 4-pack. Must be in short supply.
We rarely drink sodas anymore, just not good for the teeth or body. But I do like the occasional "original" Pepsi that has pure cane sugar, no corn syrup. I believe it is produced in Mexico and sold in tiny 7.5oz cans.

Hmmmm..... Interesting.....

I've been known to consume a bit of Guinness Stout, both the canned version (they call it Pub Draught) with the little nitro-thingy rattling around in the can and also on draught where it's delivered by CO2. I prefer the draft when the pub knows what they're doing and "pour a perfect pint." I wonder if they're now using nitro instead of CO2 with the kegs of draught? I didn't think so. I'll ask over at the local pub next time I'm in.

Also, are you referring to Guinness Draft, Guinness Extra Stout, Guinness Foreign Extra Stout or :confused:?? Guinness is a big company and makes several dark beers/stouts.

Edit: Went and asked my buddy Mr. Google and got myself educated a bit:

https://www.guinness.com/en-us/our-...Urcb0YT2kX8agfVUKpxkVSU_4FMNd-KUaAm7YEALw_wcB

Also, why would they waste perfectly good nitrogen on cola drinks when it's best used in beer?
I don’t know any bars that serve Guinness stout from kegs carbonated with co2. All I know use the nitrogen (with a little co2) mixture. And the kegerator faucet is different in nitro beers. Here’s DW getting certified as pouring the perfect pint at the brewery in Dublin. The nitro faucet shows up in the pic.

Attachments

• CC6F20B1-EC5E-46F1-B73F-557964FE267E.jpeg
    CC6F20B1-EC5E-46F1-B73F-557964FE267E.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 80
Last edited:
I like the Guinness (4 pack "pints") with the nitro charger too. Pour slow into a tall glass and you get the inch thick creamy head on top. Not to mention the "beer rain" show as it sets - :)

Pretty cool stuff!

Hmm. Luddite here. Please explain what nitro is and why it makes everything better.
Go try a nitro cold brew coffee, nitro Pepsi or nitro Guinness (in stores or on tap) and see. Better yet, try one side by side with a comparable CO2 beverage - e.g. nitro Pepsi side by side with regular Pepsi. I guarantee you will notice a difference. Evidently many people still don’t realize Guinness on tap (and some cans) has been “nitro” for decades - it’s a large part of what makes Guinness draft relatively unique.

Last edited:
Oh wait, so you are saying they are charging soda with nitrogen now? Cool.

LOL here I was sitting here thinking that y'all had some how found out that putting the little nitroglycerine pills in your drinks were magically waking them up! I was about to pull my little container out and start pouring them in my coffee!!! Ohhh well don't mind me just carry on!

I wonder if SodaStream will come up with nitrogen cylinders?

Beverages served “on nitro” are nothing new: cold-brew coffee, beer, and even packaged versions of both are by now ubiquitous. Now, add a new category to the nitro lineup—soda.

But there’s another interesting effect of using nitro gas in bubbles: it tends to reduce the perception of bitterness in beverages, which in turn makes them seem sweeter. This blog post from Bend, Oregon brewery Deschutes explains that because CO2 is acidic, it amplifies bitter sensations on our palates. Nitrogen doesn’t. Nitro bubbles are also finer than CO2 bubbles, which means they do less to “scrub” flavors away from our tongue. Prickly CO2 carbonation encourages us to think beverages are refreshing, because it washes flavors away more quickly. Nitrogen’s creamier sip sits on the tongue, lending a full, luscious, sweeter impression.

https://thetakeout.com/pepsi-nitro-soda-soft-drink-launch-carbonation-1832056614

Yeah, CO2 is definitely acidic and it kind of hurts my tongue as well.

When Guinness first launched their cans with the nitro charger, I bought a 4-pack, thinking it would be so cool to duplicate the tasty Guinness draft I had at their factory in Ireland and at many pubs there, as well.

I was disappointed, as I noticed that the nitro-charged canned Guinness gave me a headache after one beer. I don't know if I have a nitrogen-sensitivity or what, but it's not something I care to repeat. :(

omni

When Guinness first launched their cans with the nitro charger, I bought a 4-pack, thinking it would be so cool to duplicate the tasty Guinness draft I had at their factory in Ireland and at many pubs there, as well.

I was disappointed, as I noticed that the nitro-charged canned Guinness gave me a headache after one beer. I don't know if I have a nitrogen-sensitivity or what, but it's not something I care to repeat. :(
Guinness Draught on tap in bars (and what you had at the factory) has been pushed with nitrogen (actually 75% N and 25% CO2) since the 1960’s…

Not to mention you breathe in nitrogen with every breath you take.

Composition-of-air.png

Last edited:
Nitrogen doesn't dissolve in a liquid anything close to the magnitude that carbon dioxide does. What the nitrogen allows is the beverage to be pushed through the plate in the nitro tap with a lot of force (high PSI). If you tried to force a beverage through with carbon dioxide, too much of the CO2 would go into solution, and when it hit atmospheric pressure, would be nothing but foam.

actually 75% N and 25% CO2…
Yes, known as "beer gas". A lot of bars use beer gas exclusively...on ALL taps! This allows the bar to pour faster without driving too much CO2 into the beer. The difference with nitro beers is the disturbance in the tap and lower CO2 in solution.

omni

I noticed that the Guinness in Ireland tastes better than in the US. IIRC, our brewery guide told us that Guiness adds preservatives to their beer that is being exported.

I only drink diet soda once or twice a year, regular soda never, and alcoholic beverages never. I drink a lot of water.

So, I'll just take everyone's word about nitro soda and try to refrain from mentioning that soda is unhealthy and gimmicks are one way for companies to get people to indulge in unhealthy habits.

On the other hand, if I should unexpectedly descend into severe dementia, I'll probably be drinking diet Coke every day instead of water. I do like it! I just don't think it's good for me. Also water is FREE. :D

I noticed that the Guinness in Ireland tastes better than in the US. IIRC, our brewery guide told us that Guiness adds preservatives to their beer that is being exported.

Thanks. Maybe it was the preservatives that gave me the headache?

Whatever it was/is, I've not had another canned Guinness in years.

omni

I only drink diet soda once or twice a year, regular soda never, and alcoholic beverages never. I drink a lot of water.

So, I'll just take everyone's word about nitro soda and try to refrain from mentioning that soda is unhealthy and gimmicks are one way for companies to get people to indulge in unhealthy habits.

On the other hand, if I should unexpectedly descend into severe dementia, I'll probably be drinking diet Coke every day instead of water. I do like it! I just don't think it's good for me. Also water is FREE. :D

No big thing this nitro stuff. you are breathing in a lot with every breath, 78% by volume, and your body is processing it. Great stuff! Glad it's here!

And I initially thought OP had discovered whippets. I'll be looking for Nitro Pepsi - liked cream soda and the milky root beer in ice cream floats a bunch. Probably going to find it way way too sweet now.

No big thing this nitro stuff. you are breathing in a lot with every breath, 78% by volume, and your body is processing it. Great stuff! Glad it's here!
Well it's not the nitro that worries me! Likewise I was never that worried about carbonated drinks. It's the sugar, corn syrup, or artificial sweetener. I have type 2 diabetes, and so I won't be drinking sodas any time soon (whether nitro or carbonated).

Back
Top Bottom