T-Mobile May 22 Price increase

Well, they gave me free wifi on planes, free Netflix, always something free on Tuesdays, free roaming worldwide, and on and on with the little bonus items. I can't say I'm really too upset about this small price increase.

It's a compelling value. We have the oldster plan so I guess staying pat for now.

Well, they gave me free wifi on planes, free Netflix, always something free on Tuesdays, free roaming worldwide, and on and on with the little bonus items. I can't say I'm really too upset about this small price increase.

If I leave, I’ll miss the free wifi on planes the most. Netflix isn’t free anymore and if it wasn’t subsidized, I probably would cancel and occasionally renew like I do with other streaming services.

Anytime a company increases prices, I figure it’s a good time to reevaluate value.

It could be that I stay with T-Mobile, but at least I’ll educate myself with what else is out there.

On the 55+ plan and got the text today: increasing each of our two lines by $5/mo.

So the “Uncarrier” who promised never to raise the price on my plan got their merger approved, waited their 3 years, and is breaking their promise.

No doubt inflation is real - for us it’s a 16% increase of $120/year.
https://www.t-mobile.com/customers/plan-pricing-update-sms-vo5-b2

I hate shopping for cell phone service 🤬
There are no promises in business. Just marketing.

And if it was 0% inflation for 10 years, the average is far lower than 16%.

Still, this is why we are with GoogleFi - we pay less than $60 for the two of us.

DW and I are on the ATT prepaid plan with 16Gb data, hotspot, and unlimited calls. It's a yearly plan for $25/month so you prepay $300 for the year. Bit of a pain to set up since the ATT stores will not help you so it all online or phone calls or chat.

I just ordered this cell phone packager for my mother-in-law. Samsung Galaxy A25 phone, unlimited talk/text/24GB data for the year. Use HELLO10 promo code for another $10 off. $198.70 out the door including phone, one year of service, and all taxes. Uses Verizon's network. I've been buying these kinds of deals from QVC/HSN for years. They work well if your data needs are relatively low.

We haven’t gotten any notification yet. We’re on Magenta Max 55+. It just so happens we upgraded to that only 2 or 3 years ago. The included Netflix made the difference. Now Netflix has gotten quite expensive.

But I think with other changes such as requiring bank accounts for the auto payment credit we didn’t get notified either. I guess we’ll found out on our next bill.

We have a long Europe visit coming up so we’ll be using those international features quite heavily.

I'm on T-Mobile via Tello. I pay $7/mo for 2GB (unlimited text and 100 voice minutes). When traveling internationally, I get data-only eSIMs via Airalo. Dirt cheap and simple to use.

DW is on Verizon via Visible. It's $25/mo for truly unlimited data (including hotspot with no caps). When we travel domestically, we both use a lot of data. I connect my phone to hers via hotspot and we both share the unlimited Visible connection.

So... 2 phones, $32/mo, tons of data use, especially when traveling. Airalo eSIM overseas. Never a problem.

Netflix is only partially subsidized with T-Mobile now. My share comes out to $9/month.

I’m leaning towards leaving T-Mobile.

Right now US Mobile looks the most attractive. I can reduce my monthly bill from $50 to $23 (maybe $17.50). I’ll lose the Netflix subsidy and in-flight wifi.

For Netflix, I’ll rejoin a couple of times a year, same as I do for other streaming services.

For in-flight wifi, luckily Delta will offer free wifi on all their flights by early 2025. And honestly, I really don’t need wifi on the plane. It’s a good time to disconnect.

Yeah the whole Netflix thing is pretty frustrating. Way more expensive than it used to be. Still the T-Mobile subsidy is pretty large. We’ll have to think long and hard about this one.

I’m not a fan of bundling Netflix, or other non-related features, with cell phone plans. It’s smart for them to do this, but it makes it harder for consumers because it’s a greater tie-in.

On a different note, I read an interesting article about Greg Peters, who is co-CEO of Netflix and handled the transition away from password sharing at Netflix: Netflix Had a Password-Sharing Problem. Greg Peters Fixed It — Bloomberg Businessweek

Sorry for those that don’t have Apple News. It might be available elsewhere?

Personally, I don’t need a Netflix account for the entire year, but with the T-Mobile subsidy, that’s what I get. By breaking away from T-Mobile, it lets me rethink my Netflix membership.

When we first upgraded to Magenta Max with added Netflix it was significant savings plus we watched Netflix a lot. Now we’re not watching it so much at the same time price has skyrocketed.

You can actually turn on and off fairly easily via T-Mobile bundle. It’s immediate but they prorate the subscription.

It might make sense to take a break now that we are traveling over the summer.

I have to check with DH though. He watches far more than I.

Last edited:
I have an old One Plus plan. I’m on the standard Netflix plan and it costs me $9.38 with tax. T-Mobile gives me a $6.99 discount.

I’m definitely on a maximizing kick right now and I’m not seeing the value of the Netflix add-on. T-Mobile was questionable without the $5/line increase and to their credit, they offered enough “extra” features that made it easy to stay. But as I mentioned earlier, this has motivated me to look at options and so far I like what I’m seeing.

I hadn’t gotten any notification yet that our Max 55+ plan is increasing.

In the meantime I did turn off our Netflix Premium add on which should drop the bill $16 plus tax. The cheapest level of Netflix which is standard with ads is still free from T-Mobile so I switched to that for now. We’re traveling a lot this summer so I’ve been turning off some subscriptions.

We got the T-mobile text of a $5 per line increase. The first thing I did was check that our iPhone 13s from 2021 are unlocked. They are. While I hate a price increase when our price was GUARANTEED I can understand why they did it. An extra $10/mo won't kill us but we are rethinking how much cell phone service we need.

The Tuesday perks were cute and sometimes very useful. The Netflix was nice when I remember to use it. I enjoyed the 6 month Hulu and AppleTV+. The T-Mobile service in our area is very good so we've been happy overall.

We are not in a hurry to leave T-Mobile but will be shopping around. Considering Consumer Cellular via AARP, Spectrum mobile and Mint.

Looking at our usage its mostly texting (and getting those verification codes!), less than 10GB of data/mo and a couple of actual phone calls. I'm not attached to my phone, my iPad mini is with me constantly when I'm at home. But I have to admit the phone has become a necessity away from home.

I’ve been happy with T-Mobile, but with the price increase, I decided to move to US Mobile. I’ll do this once DS is back from traveling. We have a family plan, so transferring is more involved.

With US Mobile, you can choose to use either T-Mobile or Verizon for the backbone. I’ll stick with T-Mobile (GSM), since it’s worked well for me. I’ll go with the $23/month plan (paid yearly), compared to $50/month at T-Mobile (or $43 if you deduct the Netflix subsidy).

The plan offers 35GB of premium data, 10GB hotspot, and 1GB international, which works well for my usage (even though more international would be nice).

In the meantime I did turn off our Netflix Premium add on which should drop the bill $16 plus tax. The cheapest level of Netflix which is standard with ads is still free from T-Mobile so I switched to that for now. We’re traveling a lot this summer so I’ve been turning off some subscriptions.
Interestingly I haven’t seen any ads yet and the up-rezing is so good on our AppleTV that I can’t even tell it’s lowered resolution, not noticeable.

Last edited:
I was with Consumer Cellular but switched to Visible because I liked my old Verizon service. $25 for unlimited everything but it’s all online, no stores. But been great for the last year

Don’t forget they took away the $15 autopay discount if you paid by credit card. I wasn’t comfortably giving them access to my checking account at the time.

Back
Top Bottom