nm

Re: Glacier Park Tour - Photo Fantastic!......

Thanks, C-T. It's an absolutely beautiful shot of a wonderful vista. It looks cold!

Ha

Cut-Throat said:
One of the best on the Planet!

CT, that statement got me thinking.    I've been to Glacier, and I agree it's a beautiful place.   I love the juxtaposition of the glaciers, lakes, and moose-filled meadows.   So, it dawned on me that my favorite spots all have some sort of natural juxtaposition.    Fjords really do it for me with the combination of deep salt water, islands, rain forests, and snow-capped peaks (probably why I ended up living in WA and love visiting BC).

For example, here's a pic of of the Princess Louisa Inlet off the BC coast (not taken by me):

princess.jpg

What other spots do you consider the best on the planet?

Far out!

Beautiful! Montana is number one on my list of places to visit when I retire. What are the temps like this time of year?

I spent over half my life in and around that junk - PacNW and Colorado, etc.

Give me a nice flat, steamy swamp - go back to the mountains - you got to be kidding - Right?

Now - I've never done the desert SW - hmmm - maybe when I get older.

Heh, heh, heh - nice picture though - as long as I'm not there.

Love the pictures. I haven't been to Glacier since I went through on the Going to the Sun highway when I was about 18 years old, in my Volkswagon convertible Beetle. It was an amazing trip. I remember the sun rising under the clouds. Your picture makes me want to do it again.

Great pics. thanks for sharing. :)

I agree, Glacier's amazing! But Alaska's gotta take the cake for overall beauty. It has EVERYTHING! The Fjords are at least as spectacular as anything I've seen in Norway. Glaciers up the wazoo, including more tidewater glaciers than any other place on earth. Three million lakes. Incredible wildlife.

CT, you probably already know this, Waterton NP just across the border is very nice just across the border. It also has a lot less people!

I'm from Alaska and it is indeed amazing.  Unfortunately, it's isolated from the rest of the country, so it can be a pain in the rear to see other parts of the country or visit family and friends in the banana belt.  That said, I've got a place picked out already for my summer home!

I've also thought about retiring to British Columbia.  It looks just like Alaska and northern Montana, but offers Canada's national health care system, and those Canadians are just so doggone nice!

CT
Beautiful!
Tough life here in America.
JOE

How'd you get that size photo past the 64k roadblock? Always have to shrink mine to postage stamp size...

Cut-Throat said:
I'll be going to Waterton on Wednesday. My wife wanted to stay at the Prince of Wales Hotel. ::)

I guess that would confirm that you are in the withdrawal phase. :)

Afternoon tea at the Prince of Wales was a great experience and about 1/20 the cost of a room! Incredible view and nice and relaxing after spending the previous countless hours looking for wildlife. After tea, we drove around the park some more and proceeded to see 2 wolves, 1 grizzly and about 5 black bears in a span of about 30 min and ALL within several 100 yards of each other!

Have Funds said:
How'd you get that size photo past the 64k roadblock? Always have to shrink mine to postage stamp size...
If you have Photoshop, use "Save for Web". Don't know if Photoshop elements has that. Other tools offer similar features.

C-T's image is only 32k, fwiw.

The 64k limit is to keep those of us with dialup connections from having to go back to work to get a high speed line. Especially among those of us who have retired to locations away from the cities and suburbs, high speed is not universally available.

(I have a lot of sympathy for them -- when we were cruising 2001-2004, we had about 14k when we were in cell phone range, and about 150 baud when we had to get email over a shortwave radio link.)

FWIW, I grew up on a ranch not very far north of Waterton park. Waterton townsite in the summer used to be a wonderful place for teens in the 60's.... dances that started at midnight on Saturaday and went to dawn. The ol' dance hall is long gone.

Thanks for sharing the pictures. They are awesome. Makes me want to get traveling.

Dreamer

Here is another shot of Glacier Park on the 'Going to the Sun Road' . I took this yesterday near the top at Logan Pass.

GoingtotheSun.jpg

Cut-Throat said:
Actually, it confirms that my wife is still working! :) 

- But you are correct though, it is a total waste of money staying there. I suggested to my wife that we do lunch there and stay in town, but she wouldn't buy it. It was a childhood dream for her to stay there.

And you are also correct about Alaska and the scenery. I have made over 17 trips there in the last 25 years. My wife and I are going on a cruise to Alaska (our 2nd) next month.

You are very fortunate with all your travels. I have a lot of catching up to do. Don't think I have the same budget to work with but I do have plans to see the country. I look forward to packing a bag(golf clubs too of course) and just seeing where the highway leads me. The Pacific NW is number one on the list. Hey Unclemick, want to go with me? :LOL:

Heck no

Kayak the swamp (in cooler weather) - that's the ticket.

At least Mt. St. Helens/Spirit Lake - waited till after all the family picnics, Y camp and Boy Scouts, tubing,college kegger's and being gone for a decade.

Only a little razz - the PacNW is beautiful - for a visit - once a decade - in August.

Kalama, Kent have relatives left- all the military relatives have now rotated - San Diego and Japan.

ok, ok - get a twinge about snow skis once in a while - but at age 62 - probably only a memory.

Ooops! - also one in Kelso/Longview.

Sister's FIL - distant - but still counts - I guess.

Cut-Throat said:
I'll be going to Waterton on Wednesday. My wife wanted to stay at the Prince of Wales Hotel. ::)

My wife and I never ventured into the Prince of Wales hotel, so I can't speak to that, but Waterton is wonderful! We spent a day on that side of the border and the township is MUCH nicer than East Glacier. We staid at the Glacier Park Lodge, which was nice, but the surrounding community is not exactly top notch. Waterton, on the other hand was gorgeous. The next time we're in the area we'll spend a bit more time over there.

What's the big deal for a once in a lifetime memory. I just spent a whole 2 min at their website, rooms start a a mere $265 Candian. That wouldn't even begin to get in the way of a childhood wish of my DW. What's that in US Bills, maybe a couple hundred smackers? Come ON, life is short.

JonnyM said:
What's the big deal for a once in a lifetime memory. I just spent a whole 2 min at their website, rooms start a a mere $265 Candian. That wouldn't even begin to get in the way of a childhood wish of my DW. What's that in US Bills, maybe a couple hundred smackers? Come ON, life is short.

When I was there, they quoted a room rate way higher than that, CDN$500 comes to mind. It's probably higher if you just walk up and ask them for a room.

I had the same dream of staying at the Awanee (spelling?) in Yosemite. We stayed there 3 nights last fall. It was truly a once in lifetime experience, but I'm going for twice....

I was glad we waited because they recently spent some big money updating the hotel and rooms. Rustic elegance.....

Back
Top Bottom