Nova Scotia tips?

vafoodie

Recycles dryer sheets
Will be embarking on a driving trip from Yorktown, VA to Nova Scotia. I’d love any tips of things to do, places to see, and restaurants and pubs!

Tidal bore at Truro. The incoming tide forces the river to flow upstream.

Alexander Graham Bell National Historic Site and Museum in Baddeck (Cape Breton Island)

Miner's Museum (Cape Breton Island). Take a tour of a former underground coal mine. Hours are limited.
https://www.minersmuseum.com/

Peggy's Cove (a bit west of Halifax) is a frequently photographed tourist destination. Worth a stop if you are driving by.

Halifax has some nice restaurants and bars. There’s a Titanic museum and cemetery there if you’re interested.

If you can walk about 4 miles (2 miles out and 2 miles back) the seaside annex of Kejimkujik Park is fabulous. Beautiful beach and views. I love NS and this walk is my favorite activity there. We usually pack a lunch in our backpack and spend the day there.

There is also great Scottish/Irish celtic music, many communities will have a music night at a reasonable cost. There is a Celtic music interpretive center in Judique that we really enjoy.

We would get lobster steamed at Sobeys, delicious.

We also enjoyed the Cabot trail drive. You should probably spend at least one overnight on the trail.

Last edited:
The Tidal Bore at Truro, check the schedule for times.

Peggy's Cove.

Cape Breton Island is really scenic, I drove up to Meat Cove from Sydney and really enjoyed that.

Assuming you're driving up through New Brunswick, the reversing falls at Saint John are worth a stop if you have the time. I also liked Hopewell Rocks Provincial Park and the Fundy Park Trailway.

July & August are prime whale watching time in the Bay of Fundy, there are boat tours that leave from Digby. (I would have gone on one but they hadn't started yet when I was there at the end of May).

Last edited:
If you're driving up to Cape Breton, take the overnight ferry to Newfoundland. Another of my favorite places.

If you're going to take the overnight ferry to/from Newfoundland (I did), get tickets as far in advance as possible so you can get a cabin instead of sleeping in chairs. Cabin cost is comparable to a hotel room.

(If you are going to Newfoundland, there's more I would say about what to do there.)

Last edited:
We usually do Novia Scotia and Newfoundland separately. Unless you are going to be there a month I think it would be too much to do both in one trip. We usually spend 2 weeks on NS and 2 weeks in NFL.

We won’t do Newfoundland this trip. Thinking 10-12 days. Should we do PEI too? At this point, I’m wondering what to skip.

If I only had 10-12 days I'd probably skip PEI in favor of spending more time around the Bay of Fundy (both NB & NS sides) & Cape Breton. While I did enjoy PEI National Park, the rest of the island was just kind of so-so to me. And, while driving to the island is free, it costs $50CA to drive back to the mainland so kinda pricey for just a day or two. There's also a ferry from NS but that's even more expensive ($86 per vehicle round trip).

Last edited:
We like NS so much we have a seasonal property here! Lots of good advice and tips so far. There is so much to see and do I would not do PEI or Newfoundland on this trip.

Feel free to PM me for Cape Breton specifics!

I have been to Nova Scotia several times in the past 30 years. It is one of my favorite places for camping and scenery. BUT I would never pass up the opportunity to stop at every store, gas station, t-shirt shop, etc that carried Scotsburn ice cream.
I would also suggest doing a Google search for the Highland Games in Antigonish for the summer dates for a true taste of Nova Scotia in a small town atmosphere. They may have already taken place for the 150+ time since they usually are in July. But there is always next year.

Cheers!

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom