Nutria , Caddy Shack

Breedlove

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
I know some of you have seen these critters before . Since the lockdown my neighbor and I have been fighting these critters . My neighbor has a large lake in front of his house . His driveway is like a dam with pipes creating a spillway. Since the rains his pipes have been damming up . When the pipes dam up it will flood his driveway. We open it up a few days later it is dammed up. His wife's little garden has been destroyed and all the weeds are pulled out. We thought what the heck , then another neighbor said you have Nutria . We never see them but he has cages on order and we hope to catch them soon. Caddy Shack .

If you like game they make a tasty dish.

Edit to add - Brewer probably has a number of good recipes.

Last edited:
https://nutria.com/site20.php

Smoked Nutria and Andouille Sausage Gumbo - Nutria.com

Recipe by Brian Berry from Hotel Acadiana's Bayou Bistro

2 smoked nutria, cut into serving pieces
1/2 pound sliced andouille sausage
1 cup vegetable oil
1 1/2 cups flour
2 cups chopped onion
1 cup chopped celery
1 cup chopped bell pepper
Salt and cracked black pepper to taste
1/4 cup diced garlic
3 quarts chicken stock
2 cups sliced green onions
1 cup chopped parsley

In a two gallon stock pot, heat oil over medium high heat. Once oil is hot, add flour. Using a wire whisk, stir until roux is golden brown. Do not scorch. Should black specks appear, discard and begin again.

Add onions, celery, bell pepper, and garlic. Sauté approximately three to five minutes or until vegetables are wilted. Add smoked nutria and andouille sausage. Sauté in roux approximately fifteen minutes.

Add chicken stock, one ladle at a time, stirring constantly until all is incorporated. Bring to a rolling boil, reduce to simmer.

Cook until smoked nutria is tender, adding additional stock to retain volume of liquid. Once tender, approximately one hour, add green onions and parsley. Season to taste using salt and pepper. Cook additional five minutes and serve over cooked rice.

If you like game they make a tasty dish.

Edit to add - Brewer probably has a number of good recipes.

No nutria up here. Too dry. But I can imagine gumbo would be a natural.

You will be impressed with their big orange teeth. Pretty slow. I diminished the population up at our place in Oregon using a live trap with apple bait and dumping them in a 30 gallon plastic trashcan. They will obligingly peer at a 22 rifle muzzle. Moving them is just moving a very fast breeding problem. Their scat is remarkably sticky but they have great coats if you know a furrier.

Nutria are a primary food source for "Gatorland" and other wildlife parks in Florida. They are cheap, readily available, and apparently good tasting......at least to some wildlife.

(Why do I know this...I'm asking myself.....)

Not sure if it's nutria, typically they dig holes in the banks around a lake causing erosion. Maybe beaver plugging up the drains so the lake level rises?
I've eaten nutria, not bad. Beaver? haven't tried it.

(Why do I know this...I'm asking myself.....)

Nutria/Coypu were apparently also deliberately imported from South America to replace/substitute for the then waning Beaver during the fur trade era.

If you can get one to eat a slice of pizza, and take a video, you could become rich.

Saturday was a major neighborhood meeting at neighbor Joes. ( with the shut down we have nothing to do ) We all ride side by sides or ATV in the country so it looked like a rally. Our county constable even stopped by, says he is patrolling backroads to prevent people from breaking into weekend homes. A neighbor from Canada has us convinced it is a beaver, but we have never seen a beaver around here. Since Joe cleaned out the culvert last week nothing new. But the neighbor showed where something is causing erosion in his dam. The day started out everyone working on how to get rid of this beast . The constable told us you cant shoot a beaver . We all ended up at another neighbors ranch a native American . He just got a new load of flint and special stone. He showed us some of his new knives he makes,these are really nice and sharper then anything I got. Anyhow nothing has been resolved on the nutria. Oh one of the neighbors wife sent her husband a pic at the local Mexican restaurant of her and a guy together , she said guess who. We all looked , just another old guy. Then one guy said that is Chuck Norris picking up carryout . His ranch is down the road quite a ways from us , hardly ever see him.

Back
Top Bottom