Oh, the young and the virus

Status
Not open for further replies.
Judging by what I'm reading on this forum, it looks like some of you have a point about the older folks.

Looks like some older folks are going to the store constantly in fear of running out. A few report here they just go to watch because it is interesting.

That's just as bad as sweaty, young, swimsuit clad kids hugging. And a hell of a lot less fun.

It depends. If a curious person just does a drive-by to observe from his car, what's the harm?

While I agree the kid in that video is terrible, I do have to wonder how many of us might have passed that test at 21, and really, as drunk and stupid as he sounded, does he really deserve to have his name and face as the very symbol of selfish youngs branded forever?
Well, I hope he didn't have his heart set on a job with any of Michael Dell's companies. https://www.cnbc.com/2020/03/19/mic...ers-dont-apply.html?&qsearchterm=michael dell He and the others are about to learn that the internet never forgets.

While we like to say “the heck with these jerks, they brought it on themselves,” we can’t neglect the fact that they will infect others. And we can’t just let them rot.

I am thinking you aren’t a fan of the good old Leper Colonies of bygone times.

But, yeah, times change, sensibilities change and with them norms change.

That said, if we ever do have a real run on healthcare. I guarantee there will be a none too small segment of the population (and their representatives) screaming healthcare for legal US citizens only.

Hopefully we won’t get to the point, healthcare demand wise, where we have to find out if I’m correct...

In a management class at work, we had to debate whom to save in an emergency: people of various ages; people who had contributed to society, and regular folks. One of those was a 16-year-old unmarried pregnant girl

Most of the class chose the pregnant girl first, because it would be saving two lives. The ranking then went by age, with the oldest last (because they've already lived their lives). The 50-year-old Nobel Prize winner was in the top tier because he might still do something more to help humanity. Then we looked around at each other, all in our late 40's, and somebody said, "We're doomed."

In a management class at work, we had to debate whom to save in an emergency: people of various ages; people who had contributed to society, and regular folks. One of those was a 16-year-old unmarried pregnant girl

Most of the class chose the pregnant girl first, because it would be saving two lives. The ranking then went by age, with the oldest last (because they've already lived their lives). The 50-year-old Nobel Prize winner was in the top tier because he might still do something more to help humanity. Then we looked around at each other, all in our late 40's, and somebody said, "We're doomed."

Hold on they paid you for this...:LOL:

When they can't get a job because the economy is in severe recession, you can tell young kids that they helped create the situation.

We could threaten them by turning off their texting or data. Most of them wouldn't know how to even walk without a phone in their hand.

It is not just the young several of our friends who are in their 70's with health conditions are out and about like nothing is going on.
Same here. One couple that wont stay home includes a husband that had his blood and bone marrow replaced about a year and a half ago due to leukemia. Not to mention the breathing problems he has. :cool:

Judging by what I'm reading on this forum, it looks like some of you have a point about the older folks.

Looks like some older folks are going to the store constantly in fear of running out. A few report here they just go to watch because it is interesting.

That's just as bad as sweaty, young, swimsuit clad kids hugging. And a hell of a lot less fun.

That was me.

I wasn't hugging anyone. I went to the stores for some legitimate needs. It took a few trips and I had time to observe as I rushed around to grab the few essentials I needed. I went at "off" times when the fewest people were around.

I had my disinfectant wipes for the cart and anything I have to touch. I had my hand sanitizer. Anything I buy gets sanitized before entering the house. I have one more stop to make at some point, before I can fully hunker down. I will go as soon as they open, after their nightly cleaning and stocking. I don't go out anywhere else, and no-one comes in the house.

Doesn't seem on par with those partying spring break beach kids to me. And I like to think passing on my observations here are helpful to others, as well as being interesting to me personally.

Here's the latest article I found on the demographics of coronavirus patients in the US, which mentions Italy too.

... Among nearly 2,500 of the first coronavirus cases in the U.S., 705 were aged 20 to 44, according to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. Between 15% and 20% eventually ended up in the hospital, including as many as 4% who needed intensive care. Few died.

... In Italy, the hardest hit country in Europe, almost a quarter of the nearly 28,000 coronavirus patients are between the ages of 19 and 50, according to data website Statista.

The full Bloomberg article is here:

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/arti...ng-people-is-it-dangerous-data-show-it-can-be.

10965-albums257-picture2130.jpg

I have family that drove 1200 miles from "down south" to come to a more-exposed part of the country. Since their employer closed they figured take the vacation now since they have the time off. Man, darwinism. I waved from my window when they tried to visit.

Some people are not smart enough to understand and that is just a fact.

That was me.

I wasn't hugging anyone. I went to the stores for some legitimate needs. It took a few trips and I had time to observe as I rushed around to grab the few essentials I needed. I went at "off" times when the fewest people were around.

I had my disinfectant wipes for the cart and anything I have to touch. I had my hand sanitizer. Anything I buy gets sanitized before entering the house. I have one more stop to make at some point, before I can fully hunker down. I will go as soon as they open, after their nightly cleaning and stocking. I don't go out anywhere else, and no-one comes in the house.

Doesn't seem on par with those partying spring break beach kids to me. And I like to think passing on my observations here are helpful to others, as well as being interesting to me personally.
It may not be on par with sweaty hugging kids. But... we all need to limit our contact as much as possible.

Nobody is special.

I spent a good 20 minutes arguing with my 70+ mom & dad to convince them that they don't "need" to go to the post office and the grocery store. They don't "need to go to home depot ("oh right we don't we were there yesterday!")

The mail can wait (she has a PO box for financial stuff but she gets it all online anyway). There is no fresh fish in stock, and she's complaining that her freezer is full...

Basically said to her "everyone else is staying home so people like YOU don't get sick, so do the same!" And if she really truly does have a need, assign pick up to me as my risk is lower (and I can double-vet the need...)

About 30 years ago, there was an old guy - late 70s at least -- who lived across the street from us. Most days, he never left the house. But after every snowfall, he would immediately get in his car and drive somewhere. I think he did it just to show that he still could. People are surely strange sometimes.

About 30 years ago, there was an old guy - late 70s at least -- who lived across the street from us. Most days, he never left the house. But after every snowfall, he would immediately get in his car and drive somewhere. I think he did it just to show that he still could. People are surely strange sometimes.
Sounds like something I'll do.

I just had a couple of handyman types look at my sliding glass doors. They tromped right in the house with shoes on...barely scraping the shoes on the mat. They were across the floor before I could say "Please remove your shoes." Now I have to wash the whole #@!* floor. I even had booties right there.

I guess I am supposed to be grateful that someone even shows up! It is very hard to get anybody right now.

Some final observations from my (hopefully) last ill-advised trip to WalMart.

First, I went 10 minutes after they opened (so I could enter alone.) I had a whole tube of disinfectant wipes and a bottle of hand sanitizer. I didn't touch any surface in the store, or any products I didn't actually buy. Those I wiped down.

TP was in limited supply. Just about every other customer was carrying their 1-package ration allotment. The larger packages (more rolls) were off-brand or store brand. The smaller brand-name packages seemed more popular. So we know folks aren't desperate enough to wipe themselves with anything but the best yet.

Bread was fully stocked. Not an empty spot on the shelves.

Fresh chicken was mostly out, and frozen chicken getting low. Other meats were available, but shorter supply than usual. I don't buy meat there anyway, just observing.

Likewise the produce section. They even had (green) bananas, which seemed to be an early hoarding item elsewhere. Sadly, it was all their usual quality, so nothing worth buying. I hear in some areas Walmart actually sells decent produce, but not around here.

Some personal care items like toothpaste were diminished, but still available. I saw folks buying diapers, but I've been out of that market demographic long enough not to know whether they were stocked to normal levels or not.

The store was well staffed. More than I'd ever seen it. Everyone was friendly (at a social distance, of course.) I give the employees a lot of credit. They're really stepping up to the plate. I was glad to read the company is giving them all a bonus. Probably should be more, but it's a nice gesture.

The roads and parking lots are showing significantly less volume. Still plenty of truckers on the road (another hard-working group) but I noticed a lot more trucks parked at the rest area, when you'd normally see them at a truck stop. Maybe that's how they're isolating.

So, no more SITREPs from roads and stores for me, if I can help it. We will be patronizing our local restaurants for take-out, to support them and their employees.

+1

You were going anyway. I've been going to the grocery stores when I need something and walking up and down all the aisles to get a sense of what's going on. It's also made me more observant to other meal planning options when what I'd usually buy out of habit may not be available. I haven't been able to limit my trips because we do use fresh produce regularly, plus I have to buy for 4 people. Anyway, if the stores could catch up at some point, it would be possible to buy more of the stuff that keeps at a time. Then subsequent trips could be limited to perishables, which would limit the areas of the store visited and allow for a quicker and less invasive trip.

We will be patronizing our local restaurants for take-out, to support them and their employees.

+1

DD is one of the many restaurant employees who has been adversely impacted by this. Believe me, your ongoing support of the industry is massively appreciated right now. Another plus is that is reduces the drag on the groceries we've bought, which is reassuring.

I am starting to think the reaction is worse than the virus. This is tearing up the economy which will lead to many years of lower quality of life for a lot of people.

^
This.

Things we readily accept: 40K/yr auto accident deaths, 15-20K influenza deaths, 20K+ Dengue fever deaths, 42K opiod deaths.

Are we going overboard? I don't know. Glad I'm not in charge. At 88.5 my DM will take her last breath sometime in the next 2-10 years. She is healthy and sane but says she wouldn't care if she is gone tomorrow. No answers, just questions. I am abiding by the rules. :popcorn:

From my experience with people, I would guess that action was to leave tire marks in the snow to show the house was occupied, in case any criminal types were casing the neighborhood.

Things we readily accept: 40K/yr auto accident deaths, 15-20K influenza deaths, 20K+ Dengue fever deaths, 42K opiod deaths.

Are we going overboard? I don't know.

Whenever I see remarks like this I wonder if anyone realizes the projected number of US deaths (hundreds of thousands up to 2 million) from a "don't go overboard" strategy would be in addition to all those deaths from other causes? Where do we draw the line? How many are acceptable and how many are too many?

Glad I'm not in charge.

+1

This is a situation where being retired and watching from my secure (for a while, at least) hunkerhouse is much appreciated.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom