Old Guy Workout Routine

eytonxav

Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...
I love the old Jack Lalanne videos!

Last edited:
My 86-year-old Dad has been doing what used to be called calisthenics every morning for about 35 years. It's up to well over an hour now, but he is religious about it and I'm sure has a lot to do with how healthy he remains. That and the many miles he still bikes!

Maybe I could turn him into a YouTube sensation. [emoji2]

Why should an "old guy" routine be any different from an any guy routine? I do deadlifts, squats, bench presses, standing presses, and an assortment of assistance exercises, all with free weights.

Why should an "old guy" routine be any different from an any guy routine? I do deadlifts, squats, bench presses, standing presses, and an assortment of assistance exercises, all with free weights.

Maybe just intensity and overall number of sets.

I do pretty much the same. I have a deadlift day, squat day, bench press day and pullup day. Big believer in compound movements.

However I do not go as aggressively as when I was younger. I also make much less progress. But I have not been diligent about getting enough protein.

The deadlift and squat day consist of a few sets of light warmups followed by one "working" set where I push it with a set of (usually) 10 reps to, or near, failure.

The bench day includes a set or two of close grip as well as normal grip, and a couple of sets of dumbell work for shoulders.

The pullup day is 3 sets to failure then some other row type work.

Keeps me strong, not really gaining but also not losing.

Just speaking from my own experience as I've aged, I cannot lift as heavy with as many sets and days of lifting as even just 5 years ago. I also discovered the need for more mobility, stretching and foam rolling, and while I am still an advocate for free weights, I do substitute with some of the FreeMotion cable machines.

Eventually age catches up with all of us and that necessitates some adjustments.

My 86-year-old Dad has been doing what used to be called calisthenics every morning for about 35 years. It's up to well over an hour now, but he is religious about it and I'm sure has a lot to do with how healthy he remains. That and the many miles he still bikes!

Wow, that is really cool, googily. I'm sure your dad is one of a very, very small minority of 80-some year olds who stick with a routine like that! I thought I was doing pretty good with my (brief) daily workout at age 64, but he puts me to shame.........:(

Just speaking from my own experience as I've aged, I cannot lift as heavy with as many sets and days of lifting as even just 5 years ago. I also discovered the need for more mobility, stretching and foam rolling, and while I am still an advocate for free weights, I do substitute with some of the FreeMotion cable machines.

Eventually age catches up with all of us and that necessitates some adjustments.
Same here. Where I used to increase resistance steadily for years, now I've resorted to (much) lighter weights and more reps. I sold my (mainstay) Bowflex a few months ago, and now rely entirely on resistance bands and dumbbells for weight training. For me cardio is more walking than I'd like and not enough biking and rowing (machine), and occasional kayaking. We gave away our treadmill, yesterday. We adapt...

Last edited:
Maybe just intensity and overall number of sets.

I do pretty much the same. I have a deadlift day, squat day, bench press day and pullup day. Big believer in compound movements.

However I do not go as aggressively as when I was younger. I also make much less progress.

Same for me...nothing beats basic compound movements. Squats, deadlifts, bench, chin-ups. I split my workouts half...upper body day 1, lower body day 2.

I've decreased weight slightly and increased reps as I've gotten older, and spend more time warming up than I used to. Workouts are based on feel and I will adjust intensity and reps on the fly.

If any of you are on facebook, I came across a page which is pretty good, as it offers many suggestions for improving your lifting mechanics. Lookup Squat University.

Same here. Where I used to increase resistance steadily for years, now I've resorted to (much) lighter weights and more reps. I sold my (mainstay) Bowflex a few months ago, and now rely entirely on resistance bands and dumbbells for weight training. For me cardio is more walking than I'd like and not enough biking and rowing (machine), and occasional kayaking. We gave away our treadmill, yesterday. We adapt...

Got rid of my bowflex a month ago as well. First a week or so on Craigs list with no takers. Then at our garage sale. Had a lot of older out of shape guys snarf up my tools while the bowflex just sat there. Then a fit young lady pulled up. And I knew what she was coming for. Luckily sold it to her because the rest of the shoppers didn't look like fitness aficionados.

Now doing a dumbbell workout - bench, rows, lat raises, deadlift, squats, curls, triceps extension. 3 sets low weight 10 reps - perfect for an aging guy. And then biking, hiking, kayaking or running for cardio.

Found the dumbbell workout on youtube

Last edited:
For the last several years, my routine has included various dumbbell exercises along with bench and pushups (3-4 days a week). I also run 4 to 6 miles at least four days a week. I have not dropped to lighter weights yet but no longer try to increase lifts as when younger.

Touched a nerve.
Back in the college days, the workout was swimming four to five hours a day, 6 days a week. Yeah... honest. Paid off in $$$ with a full scholarship in the school that today has a annual full cost of $66K... So nearly a quarter of a million dollars headstart in life at age 22.

The keep-in-shape lasted for a long time, 'til about age 80, when I gave up the 15 to 25 mile a day cycling at Woodhaven, three or four days a week.

Then... the old man syndrome set in. Exercise was getting out of easy chair and away from the TV, to go to refrigerator for a dish of ice cream.

This year, jeanie and I finally decided to try out the fitness center in our CCRC. Now we go two or three times a week for a one hour computerized workout on the many machines. Working on increasing the mechanical challenge level on our electronic control cards.

Very embarrassing loss of strength in the interim, but not too late to recover. As it is, a good workout not only helps the strength, but the sleep problems.

You might want to check out AJ's Fitness center in our Liberty Village Campus. Kind of nice being able to walk to the center in about 4 minutes from our house.

https://simplythefinest.net/aj.php

Don't know about the "CT" in the OP article... that was over my head, but establishing a routine has made staying in shape easy. (I have the pushup - pulldown weight level up to 30 pounds.) :dance:

Seasonal and somewhat random.
Summer: kayaking, at the Y ju jutsu shadow work, then a nap in the sauna, if weather crappy go figure skating, some Argentine Tango dancing. In spring and early summer; Trail clearing at the camp
Winter, mostly figure skating, the Y routine, Tango.
In between lunberjacking to cut and load firewood.

I hate exercising as such. Don't use machinery, save for occasional hanging upside down on the inverting table.

Now doing a dumbbell workout - bench, rows, lat raises, deadlift, squats, curls, triceps extension. 3 sets low weight 10 reps - perfect for an aging guy. And then biking, hiking, kayaking or running for cardio.

Found the dumbbell workout on youtube

I like his exercises. I do about 1/2 of them right now using resistance bands. I find I am less prone to injury using the bands. And at my age, an injury can knock me out of exercising for weeks unlike when I was under 50 and an injury might cost me 3-7 days at the most.

I like the bands better than free weights since they are easier to store.

I'm using the same Bowflex rods as I was when we got the machine in 2011.

Are the rods losing their resistance?

LA-LA-LA I can't hear you!

I've just finished taking a week off from exercising. I thought I'd see if I was significantly less tired. The result wasn't clear. Maybe I need to take another week off!

I've just finished taking a week off from exercising. I thought I'd see if I was significantly less tired. The result wasn't clear. Maybe I need to take another week off!

More time for writing those novels:D

More time for writing those novels:D

Actually, that was part of the rationale, since I'm writing a novel this month (see Camp Nano).

My first set of intervals after returning seemed better/easier.

Bowflex today was maybe a little easier than usual, but I timed it well WRT the caffeine. Caffeine at 2:30, write until 4:30, Bowflex.

Caffeine really is the antidote to: I don't feel like exercising today.

Back
Top Bottom