Older SmartPhone just for music?

mystang52

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
I'm not tech savvy. Can a Smartphone that is not connected to a phone service be used as a music player? I'm thinking of getting a bluetooth music player with bluetooth headphones. It seems all of the dedicated music players have quality issues, and one reviewer recommended getting an unconnected phone instead.
Is this a viable, better-quality, alternative?

ETA: Plan is to use this for running.

Last edited:
Yes, if you just connect to WiFi to stream, and/or have the music stored locally in the phone's memory.

Most Android phones accept an external SD memory card (not sure about Apple, but I think not).

I do this with my tablet, which has no cell phone capability, essentially the same thing. Good use for an old phone.

The only potential problem you may run into down the road is with streaming. I've had a streaming service require an upgrade to the app, but my old phone needs a system upgrade for that app, but it's too old for the new system, so I got shut out by this Catch-22. That won't happen with music stored locally, whatever old music player you have(I use VLC) will continue to work.

-ERD50

I connected an old iPhone to our audio system and use it to listen to music. There are many internet music services, such as Pandora and Apple Music. We listen to SiriusXM.

You’ll need a 5 mm headphone male to two RCA male Y-cable. One end plugs into your phone headset plug, the other into one of your audio system inputs.

Last edited:
Yes, an old phone is a great little internet machine. As described by ERD50, I did have an old phone go obsolete because of the Bluetooth version, but that was a very old phone (iPhone 4). Also, certain apps my stop working. But for storing or streaming music (over wifi), it will work fine.

I think this was the original iPod model/intent. Currently the iPod Touch fits in for that capability. I have several old iPods and the only question is when the battery gives up the ghost (fails to recharge). Those older ones have headphone jacks (no Bluetooth).

I don't use old phones for anything but collecting dust. I think I even may have an old Moto Razr flip phone somewhere. Consider this: By the time I get rid of a cellphone, the battery will not last the day doing nothing at all. You may want to check out the battery life on that old phone while in airplane mode, not looking for a tower. Some of the older Android phones have easily replaceable batteries, so that may help.

I don't use old phones for anything but collecting dust. I think I even may have an old Moto Razr flip phone somewhere. Consider this: By the time I get rid of a cellphone, the battery will not last the day doing nothing at all. You may want to check out the battery life on that old phone while in airplane mode, not looking for a tower. Some of the older Android phones have easily replaceable batteries, so that may help.

Or if the OP is staying within Bluetooth range with their headphones, they can just leave the phone connected to the charger.

I keep an old flip phone in my car (plugged in). I'm grandfathered in to the T-Mobile $10/year for ~ 30 (IIRC) minutes (that roll over). I figure $10 is cheap insurance against me needing it if I forget my smart phone, lose it, or drop it and break it or something.

-ERD50

Last edited:
I may be mistaken but I don't think some of the bluetooth or WiFi suggestions above will work for a runner? Maybe the OP edited his/her post later?

We're still using an old iPod Touch as a music player, it's great for that, for running or any other use. But our music library was on Win iTunes, now on Apple's Music app, so we can update the iPod whenever we want to.

But what is the OP's music source? Does he/she have a music library on some platform, or is he/she hoping to use Spotify, Pandora or the like? I don't have a subscription music app but as I understand it paid subscribers can download music to your device, so listening while running without a WiFi or cell connection is possible?

Last edited:
Ditto on Ipod Touch for music.

I may be mistaken but I don't think some of the bluetooth or WiFi suggestions above will work for a runner? Maybe the OP edited his/her post later?

We're still using an old iPod Touch as a music player, it's great for that, for running or any other use. But our music library was on Win iTunes, now on Apple's Music app, so we can update the iPod whenever we want to.

But what is the OP's music source? Does he/she have a music library on some platform, or is he/she hoping to use Spotify, Pandora or the like? I don't have a subscription music app but as I understand it paid subscribers can download music to your device, so listening while running without a WiFi or cell connection is possible?

OP here. My music is on my PC - Itunes - as well as backed up in MP3 format. I have an old Samsung S7. DW charged it up, loaded some songs on it and it plays.
I'll be checking it out on my next run, with my wired headphones. Getting bluetooth headphones in a few days (my birthday present). If for whatever reason this doesn't work put, Ipod Touch is likely purchase. Thanks, everyone.

OP-I use older Samsung S5 as portable music player. I downloaded Musicolet, copied over mp3 files to phone and with my TV audio bar, pair the phone and audio system via BT and away I go...Musicolet lets me easily build playlists on the fly. I stripped most of the other programs off the phone the maximize the storage space for music files. To power the phone, at times I have left it connected to an older USB battery charger (gift from TBP at conference). Don't see why this wouldn't work as well with BT headphones, assuming BT versions aren't too far apart ( backwards compatibility).

I have the done the same with my ipod nano, BT pairing as well, but like the Musicolet UI better.

I use an old iPhone for podcasts and music when out walking or on a long solo drive. Easy enough, everything is downloaded at home over wifi, I use headphone while walking and run it through the car audio when driving.

I still prefer wired headphones.

Where did you hear that mp3 players aren't as good? Check out this recent thread for some recommendations, including one from me on the first page.
https://www.early-retirement.org/forums/f38/music-while-exercising-109945.html

It's up to you, but I'd rather carry a small mp3 player than a larger phone. I'm not that picky about sound quality when I'm running, but I still feel what I have is fine. My player requires wired headphones though.

If I wanted to listen to music by phone, I'd use my active one, so that I also had ability to call 911 or friend/family in case of emergency involving me or something I come up on.

I use an old Samsung smartphone in my workshop to listen to intenet radio stations and other music over wifi. It stays plugged into a small charger and a cord connects the earphone outlet of the phone to the CD input of an old stereo. Works great.

True “audiophiles” (does not include me) avoid Bluetooth for quality reasons.

One of the more convenient things about aging is that your hearing becomes less discriminating.

I was a real audiophile in my 20s and 30s, but over time I've become perfectly happy with "ordinary" music reproduction. :cool:

I think this was the original iPod model/intent. Currently the iPod Touch fits in for that capability. I have several old iPods and the only question is when the battery gives up the ghost (fails to recharge). Those older ones have headphone jacks (no Bluetooth).

I use an older iPod Touch, plugged into its charger because it won’t hold a charge anymore, for working out. Is it even possible or economical to get the battery replaced?

Yes. I was going to mention that. Getting older and living the rock ‘n roll lifestyle can get you!

Yes indeed. It’s not clear which has done more damage, age or lifestyle, but both have taken their toll, and this audiophile is now an old-iophile.

Attachments

• B021D96B-44CD-497B-A5B3-CFDF76E11E38.jpeg
    B021D96B-44CD-497B-A5B3-CFDF76E11E38.jpeg
    69.3 KB · Views: 10
I use an older iPod Touch, plugged into its charger because it won’t hold a charge anymore, for working out. Is it even possible or economical to get the battery replaced?

I don’t think so, at least in a cost-efficient way. I have the most recent (7th gen, I think?) and use it constantly.

I asked a person at the Apple Store about the Touch future and he said they still sell well. Apparently a lot of parents buy them for their kids.

My Touch can and does act as a phone through Ooma. I like the size, weight & price.

Where did you hear that mp3 players aren't as good? Check out this recent thread for some recommendations, including one from me on the first page.
https://www.early-retirement.org/forums/f38/music-while-exercising-109945.html

It's up to you, but I'd rather carry a small mp3 player than a larger phone. I'm not that picky about sound quality when I'm running, but I still feel what I have is fine. My player requires wired headphones though.

If I wanted to listen to music by phone, I'd use my active one, so that I also had ability to call 911 or friend/family in case of emergency involving me or something I come up on.

+1 I'd MUCH rather use my tiny, clip on Sandisk mp3 player than use a cell phone.

Apple really has me in their pocket. When I go for a run these days I listen to my music through my AirPods Pro, which get it via Bluetooth from what's loaded on my Apple Watch.

Back
Top Bottom