Older Texans, but < 75 Y.O.A. - Change in Jury Duty law

Wife just received summons in Texas on Monday; I was surprised by the 75 age requirement; thank you for the explanation.

I have always wanted to be on a jury. I finally got called a few years ago but never made it to second stage; all of these folks were in there wanting to get out and I was saying "pick me pick me" and they never did.

Marc

I agree, Marc. I've always wanted to serve but have never been called. I have mixed feelings about age exemptions. If you're capable of piloting an RV down the highway then you're capable of driving to the courthouse to serve. OTOH, I, too, would be concerned for my safety driving into most big cities these days (holdups, car jacking, etc).

Maybe 20 years ago, the only time called for jury duty, during selection, the judge asked if anyone had legal training. I stood up and asked the judge to define legal training. While the judge was explaining, both lawyers looked at me and crossed my name off. IMHO 2 semesters of business law does not count as legal training. But the question was fun.

I'd have to ask the same thing- I also had a year of Business Law in college AND had to pass an actuarial exam on insurance law- not to mention doing work for a couple of attorneys during my summers in college.

I was selected for jury duty 3 times, all in Nassau County, Long Island.

The first was in November, 1987 (I was 24), in Mineola, the county seat. After waiting most of the day in Central Jury (an auditorium; they had no real accommodations back then), I got called with a bunch of others to get bused to the nearby criminal court building. I was relieved because of my professional background in auto insurance which might get me kicked off a civil case if it involved an insurance company. I ended up getting on a shoplifting case. Spread out over a week, the trial lasted 2 days and we convicted the 39-year-old housewife and mother of 2 kids, hardly a typical shoplifter. The trial started at 11 AM, so it was nice sleeping in and having a short drive to the courthouse instead of a 7 AM wake-up and an annoying LIRR train and subway ride to Manhattan. I found a great place to have lunch which was a great hot turkey sandwich in a basement coffee shop of a nearby office building.

The second was in June, 1996, in Hempstead, near Mineola. At the time, they held trials there but not any more (only arraignments). I was among several potential jurors being questioned for a drunk driving case. But the next day, the defendant and DA struck a plea bargain, so I was back in Central Jury for 2 more days. The accommodations were better, as we had access to a TV, tables, and board games. I was filling in for a Monopoly player who had to use the rest room when we played a joke on her. I hid her money and flipped over all her property cards so she would think she went nearly bankrupt in the few minutes she was away. I didn't get selected for another case.

The third was in October, 2007, back in Mineola. I was among 30 potential jurors chosen for a civil case (construction accident). In civil cases, there is no judge for the jury selection, only the lawyers handle it. And they like to yak up a storm! They went through 25 of us in 6 hours, not counting me and a few others, and had their 6 jurors and an alternate. It was 4 PM and I was dismissed from further jury service. I was working part-time by then, and the day was one of my awful New Jersey trips, so I was spared the commute that day while receiving full pay, like the other 2 times.

But the most meaningful jury summons was the one I didn't have to obey. In late 1986, I received a notice from the Manhattan courts to appear for jury duty. However, I had moved out of Manhattan back in March (to Long Island), so I sent the notice back, including the envelope which showed the Post Office's forwarding label and some other proof of current residence. There was a really big case on the docket in late 1986, the 1984 Bernie Goetz subway shooting case. I wonder if I would have gotten on that case, mainly because I was out of town on vacation the 11 days after the shooting so I missed a lot of the early publicity following the shooting.

I have not been called since 2007. I just turned 60, and from my research New York no longer has an upper age limit to be called or to serve, after an overhaul of the system in the mid-1990s. Maybe I'll get called again, maybe not.

I was paid in full by my employer, but was able to keep travel expenses at the cents-per-mile rate they paid for business travel using one's own car. The drive was about 15 miles round-trip per day, so it didn't amount to much.

Not zero.

§ 4561(a) of the Pennsylvania Consolidated Statutes provides: "A person summoned to serve as a juror shall receive compensation at the rate of $9 a day for the first three days in any calendar year he shall be required to report for service and $25 a day for each day thereafter in such calendar year that such person is required to report. In addition, persons so summoned shall be paid a travel allowance at the rate of 17¢ per mile circular except that no travel allowance shall be paid in the first judicial district."
I am shocked!

When I had jury duty in NY many of the jurors were in their 70’s. They did it because it got them out of the house and gave them some spending money.

What do they pay? In MD it’s $15/day and they ask you to donate it to a state sponsored charity for orphans

What do they pay? In MD it’s $15/day and they ask you to donate it to a state sponsored charity for orphans

$40 per day in NY. If service extends beyond 30 days the court may authorize an additional $6 per day per juror.

Last edited:
I served on juries several times in my late twenties and early thirties (always working for employers who paid for jury duty leave). Most cases were drunk driving, breaking into cars, attacking the animal control officer when they came to the person's house on a dog complaint, etc. The last case however was attempted murder.

The defendant (an ex-con) was represented by an attorney who I later found out was the head of the local bar association so it must of been pro-bono. He (the defendant) did not seem like the most upstanding person but due to the incompetent District Attorney and the Keystone cops that handled the case I am positive that we would have acquitted him because they definitely did not prove anything beyond a reasonable doubt.

But, when the defendant himself got on the stand and opened his mouth, the stuff that came out changed all twelve of our minds. When we went to deliver our verdict they had called in six armed deputy sheriffs who lined the perimeter of the courtroom, they must have been worried about trouble. As soon as we delivered our verdict he looked at us and said in a chilling voice, "I hope you all sleep well tonight."

The whole thing was very interesting.

Last edited:
I do not see a problem with this... I think it is one of the civic duties that we should participate...
I don't take it as hating on anyone, if anything, they are implying that 70 isn't as old as it used to seem. That folks are capable and able to serve just as well as those younger vs being sent to pasture too soon.
+1. I don’t see a problem with it, part of being a citizen and 70 yo isn’t what it used to be. I’ve only been summoned twice in 69 years. First time I was excused the night before via phone - “call this number after 5:30pm night before.” The second I went to the courthouse but wasn’t selected. Frankly I was a little disappointed…

I agree that it is an important duty. It can be a real defense against police misconduct. In the drunk driving case I mentioned above we ended with a hung jury, 11-1 to acquit. The police had no breath, blood, or urine test. Eleven of us were of the opinion that the police were trying to cover up for a traffic stop gone bad (because of their mishandling of it). The twelfth juror, during our deliberations, just kept repeating, "But the police would not have stopped them if they weren't guilty."

To me protecting the person in this case from fines or incarceration was actually more important than sending the attempted murderer I mentioned to jail.

I always hoped the DA didn't retry the case given the 11-1 to acquit.

I was called last summer but the night before, they decided they didn't need my group so I am free for three years. If called after that, I would gladly serve.

Since we're talking pay.... here in San Diego zero pay for the first day in person. $15/day thereafter. No matter how long the trial, no bump in pay.

You can choose 34¢ a mile or a daily transit pass, not both. Starting the second day. There is no free parking at the downtown courthouse... parking runs $15-20/day for a surface lot a few blocks away. We take the bus or trolley when called.

For years my work paid the salary, but asked for the jury pay back. They finally realized it was more expensive to process that $15 than it was worth.

I would love to serve on a jury again... as long as it doesn't interfere with my travel plans.

I’ve served a few times on juries here in Suffolk county ny. Federal, and county. Called twice for grand jury and served once.
Earlier this year I recieved the questionaire, an got my summons for standby late july. I had just had my hip replacement, so I deferred until february, I think. I wassuprised to find out that there’s no maximum age to serve- I always thought there was in NY ( I’m 68).
I think as our country ages, the maximum age (if there is one ) will continue to go up.

Just to stir the "age" pot... Proposition 13 on the upcoming Texas November Ballot:

Voters will decide whether to raise the mandatory retirement period from 70-75 years old to 75-79 years old for justices and judges on appellate, district and criminal district courts.

It's a zoo in Houston... Hundreds (if not a couple of thousand) start off the morning in the general assembly room. Then they get divided up to go to individual courts and then the selection process starts. You'll be very lucky to know if you are going to actually be on a jury by early afternoon. A few trails will start that afternoon but most start on the next day. And to top it off, the big/main courts are in downtown Houston. That by itself is a mess. Reminds me of herding cattle through the pens.

I am in Houston and I have jury duty this Tuesday. I DREAD it, b/c I hate driving downtown, parking, the cattle call, etc. I was summoned last summer as well. Spent into the early afternoon before they sent us home. I'm actually at the farm now, putting in my fall garden and I have to go back to the city for a funeral and jury duty. Don't get me wrong. I typically don't mind serving when it's not downtown. But my last two summons have been for the downtown location and it's stressful. Oh, and I get paid $6 a day. Discounted parking is $6...:facepalm: And now is a bad time with my seedlings just going in. That said, I don't want to ask to reschedule b/c that could go into the holidays. Just hoping I don't get picked or that they settle before the day is over.

I would love to serve on a jury. About a week or so after we blessedly left Texas I actually received a jury summons in the mail. Of course, I filled out the form that I no longer lived in Texas.

I have been called for jury duty several times but having "attorney" as my occupation on the questionnaire seems to end up with me not being selected.

The last one was...weird though. I was called to a jury panel voir dire in criminal court. One of the attorneys (don't recall which side) was questioning us. I knew that I was far enough in the back that I was extremely unlikely to end up on the jury and I think the attorney knew that. Anyway, he asked me something about me being an attorney. He then asked me to explain to the jury panel what "circumstantial evidence" was. I did but I rather thought that was his job.....

Now I am fully retired so I could just say retired on the questionaire and maybe they wouldn't ask for more and I could get on a jury... Well, it won't be in Texas....

I have served a few times in the previous Ga. county I lived in for the 1st 60 years of my life. Ihave been called but never served on one in my current county. I recieved a summons last month and didn't know if I would be able to serve because I wear hearing aids and latly they aren't helping as much as they did. I called the clerks office and told the young lady there about my troubles. She ask how old are you Mr.**** I told her 72,and she said well don't worry about it,just throw that summons away and have a great day, since you are over 70 you are exemt from service already. I looked it up just now and found this--(Who is exempt from jury duty in Georgia?
Certain people are eligible to be exempted or excused from jury duty, such as people age 70 or older or full-time students. If you qualify, you must contact the court to receive an exemption before your appearance date.)

Another Georgia resident here. I have been called 3 times but only had to report once when I was then put on a jury for a domestic stalking and battery case. Video evidence hard to refute. Also, never act as your own attorney in a felony case unless you are in need of a free bed and breakfast.

After serving on that jury 5 years ago I was called the third time only 18 months later but as my county uses a call in system to see if you need to report, I never had to leave home.

I'm now 70 so pretty much exempt unless I'm feeling the urge to serve. The pay is low and the parking is free but I don't do early hours so well post retirement.

Yes it is.... BUT.... I also think it is a civic duty to be on a jury... you should not get all the benefits of government without some time spent helping out... also, do not complain about the horrible crime if you are not willing to be on a jury to put somebody guilty away...

I think that the roll here in Houston last about 5 or so years... it might be different other places but being called every 5 or so years for a day or so of duty is not going to change your life...

I know here you can use public transportation for free... just drive to the local park and ride and take the bus...

My civic duty has been paid in full many times over.

Because of what I did for a living I will never be used as a juror. I have been summoned for jury duty many times, never excused though they knew I wouldn't be selected. Picked once for initial jury pool and as expected eliminated in questioning. I was told that people of my vocation had been used on civil juries- but no one could ever name an instance of that- it either didnt happen or it happened so rarely that it's a moot point.

For years I looked forward to being able to say "leave me alone already" at age 70, now as I am getting close they pull this stunt. No, I'm not happy about it at all. So, I'm sure that I'm in for more wasted time in the future.

I can understand why people not involved with the justice system might find court cases interesting, and want to participate. But for me, after spending so much time in trials, the idea of spending any more time in a courthouse is not appealing in least. Especially since they will never use me as a juror, unless the counsel for the defense is totally incompetent.

My civic duty has been paid in full many times over.

Because of what I did for a living I will never be used as a juror. I have been summoned for jury duty many times, never excused though they knew I wouldn't be selected. Picked once for initial jury pool and as expected eliminated in questioning. I was told that people of my vocation had been used on civil juries- but no one could ever name an instance of that- it either didnt happen or it happened so rarely that it's a moot point.

For years I looked forward to being able to say "leave me alone already" at age 70, now as I am getting close they pull this stunt. No, I'm not happy about it at all. So, I'm sure that I'm in for more wasted time in the future.

I can understand why people not involved with the justice system might find court cases interesting, and want to participate. But for me, after spending so much time in trials, the idea of spending any more time in a courthouse is not appealing in least. Especially since they will never use me as a juror, unless the counsel for the defense is totally incompetent.

I will not disagree with you that there are some who will never get picked... in my last jury pool was a lady who ran for Attorney General of Texas... but she spent a half day (maybe a bit more) doing what is required of her... it happens so rarely that I do not see it as a burden for anyone..

I found it interesting as she was one number from me so we talked a bunch, but everybody, and I mean everybody, that walked by said hi to her...

I will not disagree with you that there are some who will never get picked... in my last jury pool was a lady who ran for Attorney General of Texas... but she spent a half day (maybe a bit more) doing what is required of her... it happens so rarely that I do not see it as a burden for anyone..

I found it interesting as she was one number from me so we talked a bunch, but everybody, and I mean everybody, that walked by said hi to her...

I lived in the DFW metro area for over twenty years, spent my career there. I was summoned at least 15 times in that period. To me that's not "rare". After retirement I moved to a rural area, and have been here about 20 years as well, I have been summoned about as many times.

If you had seen what I have seen, happen in our judicial system, you wouldn't think it such a nobel thing. It is much more about lawyers making a living than about justice. I know I'm jaded, but anyone in my shoes would be.

If people enjoy going to the courthouse, sitting for hours while the "system" works it's way through to releasing them- more power to them. But i don't and a lot of others don't either. I was at the courthouse on a trial once, it had went on several days. At the end, when the jury was done and it was all over. The baliff told the jury they weren't released yet because the judge wanted to "thank" them. A woman spoke up and said "he could thank us by letting us go home". I heard they waited over an hour to be "thanked".

I lived in the DFW metro area for over twenty years, spent my career there. I was summoned at least 15 times in that period. To me that's not "rare". After retirement I moved to a rural area, and have been here about 20 years as well, I have been summoned about as many times.

If you had seen what I have seen, happen in our judicial system, you wouldn't think it such a nobel thing. It is much more about lawyers making a living than about justice. I know I'm jaded, but anyone in my shoes would be.

If people enjoy going to the courthouse, sitting for hours while the "system" works it's way through to releasing them- more power to them. But i don't and a lot of others don't either. I was at the courthouse on a trial once, it had went on several days. At the end, when the jury was done and it was all over. The baliff told the jury they weren't released yet because the judge wanted to "thank" them. A woman spoke up and said "he could thank us by letting us go home". I heard they waited over an hour to be "thanked".
Trust me, you are not the only one on this forum that feels our judicial system is fubared. Forum rules would probably be severely bent/broken if I told you how I feel about our legal system so "fubar" will have to do.

Last edited:
Trust me, you are not the only one on this forum that feels our judicial system fubared. Forum rules would probably be severely bent/broken if I told you how I feel about our legal system so "fubar" will have to do.

I could fill pages, probably enough to sway even the most idealistic. But the fact of the matter is this: At age 70 a person wasn't required to exempt themselves. They could choose to serve if they wished. Now they have no choice- back on the hamster wheel like it or not. At 70 a person is old enough to have mobility issues and other issues, and the court system doesn't provide easy remedies (try getting a doctor to write a letter, many wont). Age 70 is appropriate to allow people to opt out, raising it to 75 is ridiculous. I guess those who had reached 70 but not yet 75 will get the rug yanked out from under them on this. Sad.

I could fill pages, probably enough to sway even the most idealistic. But the fact of the matter is this: At age 70 a person wasn't required to exempt themselves. They could choose to serve if they wished. Now they have no choice- back on the hamster wheel like it or not. At 70 a person is old enough to have mobility issues and other issues, and the court system doesn't provide easy remedies (try getting a doctor to write a letter, many wont). Age 70 is appropriate to allow people to opt out, raising it to 75 is ridiculous. I guess those who had reached 70 but not yet 75 will get the rug yanked out from under them on this. Sad.

Hi, and welcome. Why don’t you stop by and introduce yourself here https://www.early-retirement.org/forums/f26/

I have only been called 4 times with one time being chosen. We waited 2 days being sequestered while the judge and attorneys had their arguments behind closed doors. The accused eventually changed his plea to guilty so we were told to go home. What a waste of time but if I was called again I would go. At 75 that is not going to happen although I wouldn't mind. No defense attorney wants a cantankerous, educated old man. :D

Cheers!

Well any 5 year window, odds are you'll get called once? And then the odds you don't actually serve (or go to the courthouse) are pretty high too. My last two summons (2016, and now 2023) both resulted in a call in and being told I wasn't needed.

Hardly a hamster wheel. If one truly has medical issues and a non-helpful doctor, good reason to get a different doctor IMO.

In 20 years, I've been called twice for jury duty.
First time, I phoned them and claimed I was not allowed and faxed in proof so I was removed from the list.
Second time, right after they opened the courts post COVID, I phoned and ask what about COVID, and they immediately took me off the list.

What bugs me about our local system, is both times, they want me to show up on the South Side of Chicago (dangerous area, with abandoned buildings) which is far away, instead of me showing up at a Courthouse only 5 miles away.

Back
Top Bottom