Online Chess Videos

I'm pulling from 30 year old memories here, but I don't think I ever had 4 queens, nor my opponents. I remember having at least 2. My old Atari 800XL chess could probably beat me easily now. I used to set up a real chessboard when I played it and just matched it up to the screen. I didn't do that against Sleeping Magnus.

The reason you never had 4 queens is that any smart person would have resigned LONG before you got there... heck, even a dumb person would have....

In that game with 4 queens against the computer, it wasn't 4 queens at once. But i'd promote a pawn then the new queen would get captured and i'd win the capturing piece or I'd blunder the queen. Was kind of comical in that the game was fairly close despite all my queens.

Since my win streak ended, I've been struggling. Won 2, lost 4, 1 draw. The 4 losses were a 4 game losing streak :(.

You do know that at chess.com you can play as a guest, unrated games? If you want to just play a human but don't intend to get as involved with ratings and won/loss records.

Online chess in recent years exploded in popularity due to the pandemic. Folks were locked down at home so I guess many pursued playing again. Add that with live streamers. A good match.
I knew you could play against the computer as a guest but didn't know you could play against humans without registering. I was actually back on that website a while ago because I was reading a little about the chess engines. There's even a video that shows which engines had the highest rating year to year. They've come quite a ways since 2007, when I downloaded some, with different engines leading the pack these days, yet they were still great back then.

I'm fairly sure the chess program I used to play on the Atari 800 XL computer was Sargon III.

I knew you could play against the computer as a guest but didn't know you could play against humans without registering. I was actually back on that website a while ago because I was reading a little about the chess engines. There's even a video that shows which engines had the highest rating year to year. They've come quite a ways since 2007, with different engines leading the pack these days, yet they were still great back then.

I'm fairly sure the chess program I used to play on the Atari 800 XL computer was Sargon III.

Yes, you can play against computer without registering. If you do register (free to register), it will keep track of your games and can replay them. That's not bad for free. Subcribers (I subscribed) can view their games in more detail like have computer go over each move of games, tell you you the best moves.

Playing chess online is like taking a belt sander to your ego. Lichess is also good, but I prefer chess.com's game review.

Playing chess online is like taking a belt sander to your ego. Lichess is also good, but I prefer chess.com's game review.

Tell me about it.

I've gone from riding high with an eight game win streak to now totally lost. I just lost a game where I was way ahead on time and even in material with the opponent begging for a draw only for me decline and totally collapse and me having to resign.

Think I've overtaxed by brain by overthinking. You know, the feeling of mentally burnt from cramming for tests. :facepalm:

I'm riding a 7 game win streak in online chess over at chess.com. The time control I play are rapid games: 15 mins + 5 second increment each move.

How did you decide on 15/5?

For whatever reason I’ve settled on 10 for each side games. They’re not to long, but give each player a little time to think things out a bit.

I sometimes have streaks, but (as expected) am about 50 50.

Playing chess online is like taking a belt sander to your ego.
I think playing chess increases my anxiety, so it's not a good fit for me these days. I wish I had the clear mind of my past.

Last edited:
How did you decide on 15/5?

For whatever reason I’ve settled on 10 for each side games. They’re not to long, but give each player a little time to think things out a bit.

I sometimes have streaks, but (as expected) am about 50 50.

15/5 is the most comfortable default time control for me. I do see that 10/5 like what you chose is also an option.

Attachments

• rapid controls.jpg
    rapid controls.jpg
    8.9 KB · Views: 3
Last edited:
Lifetime competitive chess player here; I think this is my 50th year. Peak over the board Elo rating is 2080, now down to 1810 (cognitive decline is real) although I will be boosted to 1885 or so in a month or two when FIDE applies the correction for inflation that have deemed is necessary. The strongest player I have beaten was rated 2200 or so, and the strongest I have drawn with was 2300, which is the level at which you get the "FIDE Master" title.

I have also drawn with two grandmasters in simultaneous displays, in one of which I was winning (2 pawns up) but chickened out and offered a draw. I subsequently claimed that I did this because I had to get the last bus home, but to anyone else who I've told this story over the years, my apologies, that was a lie, I should have held my nerve and I could have claimed to have beaten Tony Miles, who went on to become a world top-10 player.

I don't play online very much. To me it feels like playing a video game, which I gave up in about 1982 because I found that if I hadn't put a coin in a machine, and could restart at any time for free, it didn't feel like I had any skin in the game.

I don't play online very much. To me it feels like playing a video game, which I gave up in about 1982 because I found that if I hadn't put a coin in a machine, and could restart at any time for free, it didn't feel like I had any skin in the game.
I figured out the solution to the video game feeling about 30 years ago. I set up a real chess board and use that for studying the table. I just mirror the moves between the computer and chessboard.

The real skin for me is my time.

On online vs over the board (OTB), the only OTB I've played is against family and friends. Between the two, I like OTB more. But online offers easy accessibility and playing opponents from across the world.

I guess a comparison is if going to a sporting event in person versus watching coverage. Going to a real baseball game is a very different, more "real" experience than watching on TV. Yet watching on TV still gives the feel of the game.

Another benefit of playing online I can think of is the ease of playing against somebody of about equal chess skill.

A bad from playing online chess is eyestrain. I just finished a game where I had to battle to get a draw by forcing (perpetual check :)). Not bad considering in the middle of game, my eyes was suffering from terrible glare staring at the "board" computer screen. I need to rest my eyes :(.

My rating as of this post is 1003. Only 1 game over .500 in wins vs losses. Can't believed I've already played 60 games.

Attachments

• 2024-01-30-rating.jpg
    2024-01-30-rating.jpg
    47 KB · Views: 4
Back on the rise. Haven't lost in 9 game. 7 wins, 0 losses, 2 draws.

Probably just jinxed myself now :(.

Back on the rise. Haven't lost in 9 game. 7 wins, 0 losses, 2 draws.

Probably just jinxed myself now :(.
Does your rating go up in the process? I assume it's dynamic and alway changing game to game.

Does your rating go up in the process? I assume it's dynamic and alway changing game to game.

Yes, dynamic. When I was getting roughed up my rating went down to about 950. Now it's back to 1012 as I type.

I worked on a couple of things after getting roughed up and licking my wounds. One is a different opening to use sometimes when playing black instead of blindly using one opening regardless.

My non-loss streak has now climbed up to lucky 13 :). 10 wins, 0 losses, 3 draws..

I'm still poking away exercising my brain playing chess.

My record after 144 games stands at 69 wins, 65 losses, 10 draws.

I was about 10 games over recently but hit a rough patch.

I am kinda proud though of a game I just won (me playing as white, black resigned) where I got this long pawn chain. I used to undervalue my pawns but now treat them as a precious commodity.

Attachments

• chess games stats.jpg
    chess games stats.jpg
    29.4 KB · Views: 5
  • pawn chain game.jpg
    pawn chain game.jpg
    47.3 KB · Views: 8
I played hundreds of games on Lichess. Then I just stopped. Some players are rude and especially if I took my time moving. So I just set the controls to not see comments. It was cool to play people from France, Poland, Germany, etc.

Why did I stop. Because it ultimately gave me no joy. I did not want to study strategy and go into heavier game analysis. It was fun until it wasn't.

Now I'm studying Italian for an upcoming trip.

I keep hearing that this or that activity (Sudoko, language learning, chess, etc.) will sharpen your brain up or keep you forever young or maybe avoid dementia. But is there any really good research that will convince me that this has benefits for my brain function?

Arrividerci :)

Probably a good idea to stop when playing gave you no joy. I suppose anytime a hobby (or other activity) becomes are chore, it is time to reconsider. Like you, I har suddenly stop playing. Haven't played for about 15 years ago. But found the joy again.

My goal is pretty simple. To improve my play and hopefully the side benefit of keeping my brain sharp. I see both happening. As for the playing, yes it is fun to play against people from across the globe. I have chat turned off, so play only. No distracted talk.

As for is there proof of improved cognition? I guess depends on what you read. Some articles say yes. But I read one article saying if you play a lot of chess, the only proveable benefit is only you should be better at chess.

Last edited:
I'm 3 points away from my highest rating back in Feb when I was on a hot streak. I do think I'm a better player now than back then as I've added some more chess skills (adapt or die :() along the way.

As of today, my record (rapid games) stands at 185 wins, 170 losses and 27 draws.

Attachments

• chess rating.jpg
    chess rating.jpg
    111.5 KB · Views: 5
Back
Top Bottom