Oops...

HadEnuff

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
Finally got to play pickleball. First time out. Ever...

It was really fun, and I was pretty good at it, right up until my right Achilles tendon ruptured.

So much for pickleball, and autumn golf.

Oh, BTW, it happened today, which is my last day on my regular insurance. Medicare starts tomorrow.

And I just joined a golf club yesterday. Wrote the check.

Ain't life funny?

Sorry to hear it. I love Pickleball and play it 5 times a week.
Will Medicare still cover it?
I wish you a speedy recovery. Keep us updated.

Oh my gosh HadEnuff!

During a neighborhood volleyball match, a teammate ruptured his. He was in severe pain! Oh, we knew what was wrong right away too. There was a nice big old knot that formed up the back of his calf.

Take care.

Last edited:
I my gosh HadEnuff!

During a neighborhood volleyball match, a teammate ruptured his. He was in severe pain! Oh, we knew what was wrong right away too. There was a nice big old knot that formed up the back of his calf.

Take care.

surprisingly little discomfort with it. More of a pain in the ass, then painful. Now I just have to make sure I don't kill myself with these crutches and this boot.

surprisingly little discomfort with it. More of a pain in the ass, then painful. Now I just have to make sure I don't kill myself with these crutches and this boot.

Whew! That's good.

Our guy had to have surgery. I think there must be degrees of rupture? His was pretty messed up.

Whew! That's good.

Our guy had to have surgery. I think there must be degrees of rupture? His was pretty messed up.

yes. Mine is the Full Monte, rolled up like a window shade.

Finally got to play pickleball. First time out. Ever...

It was really fun, and I was pretty good at it, right up until my right Achilles tendon ruptured.

So much for pickleball, and autumn golf.

Oh, BTW, it happened today, which is my last day on my regular insurance. Medicare starts tomorrow.

And I just joined a golf club yesterday. Wrote the check.

Ain't life funny?
Bummer. Hope the recovery is smooth and pain free.

yes. Mine is the Full Monte, rolled up like a window shade.
Wow!

Good luck with your healing. At our age, going conservative treatment first makes sense even if it is a PITA.

Gasp! Reading this made me shudder and feel sick. Tearing that sucker seems so gruesome to me.

Godspeed on the recovery.

I have sprained mine a few times with volleyball and pickleball.... gladly never blew it out.

Ouch. That sounds painful.

I've had days where my achilles feel tight and I'd have to stop and rest for a day or two for fear of something my go. Then the feeling would go away.

Had one stretched when I was under pain killers for mouth surgery. Not a full rupture and it repaired itself in 6 months. We had booked a bike/barge trip on The Moselle for 2 months later, and, fortunately, I was able to bike better than walking. In fact I think the 8 days of biking helped the recovery.

Good luck with your recovery!

Playing an unfamiliar competitive sport has done bad things to me too. Not quite that bad, but I hope you heal up and that you don't get too abused by the health insurance process. When a "friendly game" started, I always said to myself, "I'll take it easy". But then I push a little too hard to keep from embarrassing myself. Then I really embarrass myself, lol! Now I just say "No, I'll, not join a team this time...I'll walk over and see if I can find balls that went in the weeds".

I'm reading this and thinking: If it happened Friday, was surgery done already? That would be quite remarkable because of all the prep needed for surgery. I imagine you had it looked at, got things immobilized, and then got an appointment for future treatment.

So I'm wondering how this will all work out with the change in insurance. Do the doctors/facilities change for you?

Last edited:
All I can say is ow, ow, ow!!!!! :eek: You have my sympathy.

I am sure the insurance/Medicare will get worked out somehow. What is probably more important (or would be, to me) is whether or not the doctor thinks he can get it re-attached and back to the way it was.

So glad (and surprised!) that it doesn't hurt that much so far. I hope it stays relatively painless. Having had Achilles tendonitis back in 2001, I can testify that for me it hurt like a son of a gun and I hope to never have anything similar to that condition again. I can't even imagine having a ruptured Achilles tendon.

Maybe you can cancel the check to your club, and explain it to them. I am sure it can't be the first time someone has cancelled the day after paying.

I'm reading this and thinking: If it happened Friday, was surgery done already? That would be quite remarkable because of all the prep needed for surgery. I imagine you had it looked at, got things immobilized, and then got an appointment for future treatment.

So I'm wondering how this will all work out with the change in insurance. Do the doctors/facilities change for you?
Doesn't sound like HadEnuf will have surgery.

At least not on a 3-day weekend. :)

This follow-on comment suggests surgery will eventually happen:
"yes. Mine is the Full Monte, rolled up like a window shade."

At least not on a 3-day weekend. :)

This follow-on comment suggests surgery will eventually happen:
"yes. Mine is the Full Monte, rolled up like a window shade."

I was seen in the ER, where they gave me a shot of Toradol(NSAID) in the butt, and sent me home with a boot. The MD who examined said it was completely separated, which I believe because there seems to be no connection between the calf muscles and the foot.
I will not be seen by a surgeon before Tuesday. In fact, I won't even be able to contact an appointment desk until Tuesday, so I don't know for a fact that I'll even be seen on Tuesday.

Feel for you HadEnuf. Man, that's tough. Good luck in however this resolves.

Oh no, that sounds awful! Wishing you a speedy recovery.

Get a knee scooter. My son broke his calcaneous bone and we found a knee scooter on Craigslist. It immensely increased his mobility.

I was seen in the ER, where they gave me a shot of Toradol(NSAID) in the butt, and sent me home with a boot. The MD who examined said it was completely separated, which I believe because there seems to be no connection between the calf muscles and the foot.
I will not be seen by a surgeon before Tuesday. In fact, I won't even be able to contact an appointment desk until Tuesday, so I don't know for a fact that I'll even be seen on Tuesday.

You will soon have increased empathy for those with mobility issues. I separated mine in 2010 playing racquetball. It was three months after surgery before I could walk without crutches or the boot and six months before I could walk normally. I still get cramps in that foot and have to sleep with it hanging off the bed so I don't over slacken the tendon - which seems to cause the cramps. Walking up hills is a challenge too because of over tightening the repaired tendon. More evidence that growing old isn't for sissies.

You will soon have increased empathy for those with mobility issues. I separated mine in 2010 playing racquetball. It was three months after surgery before I could walk without crutches or the boot and six months before I could walk normally. I still get cramps in that foot and have to sleep with it hanging off the bed so I don't over slacken the tendon - which seems to cause the cramps. Walking up hills is a challenge too because of over tightening the repaired tendon. More evidence that growing old isn't for sissies.

ugh.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom