Our 65" LG OLED Wall Mounted TV is a lemon

I'm just going to quit right here. I never said to compare them side-to-side in the store. I know all about the selective video clips they make to showcase their TV's and the fact that they punch up the color and sharpness. I said if you put a halfway decent LCD TV next to your old plasma TV the picture quality difference would be obvious.

Agree, we have a 2014 Samsung 65js8500. Today's sets have far better picture quality.

the Costco concierge/technical service is complicated, had to send multiple e-mails with 8 attached pictures as well as answer 8 questions. All I know is our LG 65" Class - CX Series - 4K UHD OLED TV -went blank. The screen went black. There is no power. It's not easy taking pictures of the back of the TV when it's wall mounted. I've made 5 calls to Costco. I keep getting e-mails from them asking for more information. If we are lucky, we may get a service technician here, I do not know when. They are apologetic in the letters which are nice, but it's not getting my TV fixed. BTW, we're going on 2 weeks now for answers and repairs.

Who said the customer service at Costco was fantastic?

Personally, I would prefer Costco warranty/support vs Best Buy. What surprises me is that I would have thought Costco would just replaced it with a new set or equivalent. I did not realize these sets are even repairable anymore. I hope you get some satisfaction soon.

Follow-up from yesterday. The manager called me and said, "bigger manager" at a conference in Phoenix. He has to get an OK from that manager before he can do anything. I would think this whole procedure is a straightforward policy. Why are we going through manager after manager?

The conversation was nice, the lower manager gave me his direct phone #. Yes, the warranty is 2 years. If our car has a 10-year warranty on some of the parts, does the garage have to go to multiple managers to support that policy? We bought a Speed Queen dryer, the best supposedly, and has a 10-year warranty. We had a small issue with it. The store we bought it from sent someone out pronto. And no cost for the labor or the fix.

Maybe they’re trying to just replace the TV instead of fixing it?

Maybe they’re trying to just replace the TV instead of fixing it?

I welcome that solution. I will follow up with the final decision. Again, we like Costco for the grocery part. Great cheese selection, good fruit, and produce prices and quality. Very nice homemade counter with fresh interesting recipes. The Fish and meat selection is much better than Sam's. So is cleanliness.

I want to express that I'm not trying to shame Costco.

I want to express that I'm not trying to shame Costco.

I didn’t think so. I can understand the frustration of not having your main tv working, especially during the warranty period.

I was just thinking the only reason to get a higher up at Costco involved would be to sign off on an exception - i.g. Replacing the tv. Fingers crossed.

I didn’t think so. I can understand the frustration of not having your main tv working, especially during the warranty period.

I was just thinking the only reason to get a higher up at Costco involved would be to sign off on an exception - i.g. Replacing the tv. Fingers crossed.

My bold. Maybe this is a message from the universe. I remember having 3 TV stations, NBC, ABC, and CBS. We watched TV at night. What did we do with our time back then? Have we become programmed to depend on our TVs? This is an episode for Twilight Zone. Hmmm.

My bold. Maybe this is a message from the universe. I remember having 3 TV stations, NBC, ABC, and CBS. We watched TV at night. What did we do with our time back then? Have we become programmed to depend on our TVs? This is an episode for Twilight Zone. Hmmm.

It’s kind of like when the electricity goes out and you realize how dependent you are on electronics. “Electricity is off. Now what do we do?”

I'm a Costco GM, and if the TV is less than 2 years it falls under the Concierge program. You do have to make phone calls and if they can't repair it, Concierge will recommend replacement. No one else will give you that without an extended warranty. If you purchased it with your Costco Citi Visa, then it is covered an additional 2 years by Citi Visa. I own the 65" OLED and the 77", and they have been fantastic TV's. Do you happen to live where there are regular thunder storms? If so it could have been a surge issue. Best of luck with the repair and hopefully they get you taken care of. If you do your due diligence and no one is helping, ask for the GM of your local warehouse. Maybe they can help you out.

We purchased this amazing TV from Costco in 2020. The inner power source is completely burned out. We had Geek Squad come out and check every cord, restart, power down power up and bought a new Amazon Fire stick.

Costco is hard to deal with. I have no idea if they're going to stand behind this TV. I called and gave all the info, serial numbers, and SV #s which is a real pain when the TV is wall mounted. You have to squeeze your iPhone behind the screen and hope it takes the right picture of all the numbers.

Now, they want to send a tech guy out to replace the power thing in the TV. I assume this will take weeks. So frustrated.

The Geek Squad guy said if we had bought it from Best Buy, all this would be taken care of, with no charge and little hassle. No more buying electronics from Costco.

I found out looking at Yelp how putrid Costco's warranty service really is...completely burst my bubble on Costco....still good for food, but electronics, the warranty is marketing smoke and mirrors it appears....who wants to be on hold for hours on end.....the dirty secret is revealed. I did buy a Vizio TV from Costco in 2010 for the World Cup and its still going strong coincidentally. Was eyeing the LGs but thanks for the warning.

Funny, after multiple phone calls, forwarding all my e-mails, and going up the chain of command in management, I got a call from ITI saying they should be calling me soon to repair my OLED. I've heard it before from Costco and their 3rd party services on electronics. I'll believe it when my TV is back on the wall and working properly.

Edit:https://www.yelp.com/biz/costco-concierge-service-issaquah

Last edited:
Funny, after multiple phone calls, forwarding all my e-mails, and going up the chain of command in management, I got a call from ITI saying they should be calling me soon to repair my OLED. I've heard it before from Costco and their 3rd party services on electronics. I'll believe it when my TV is back on the wall and working properly.

Edit:https://www.yelp.com/biz/costco-concierge-service-issaquah

Took the link right out of thin air - QED. Just look at all the venting...probably be 0.2 if they allowed 0 stars.

Add me to the list of those who have a bunch of old TV's, hoping some will break so I can buy a newer, bigger TV. 8 TV's. 2006 to 2016. Main TV is the 55 inch 2016. Would like a 75 inch but DW is....

Oldest is a 2006 42 inch DLP. Tuner is failing, Audio out jacks don't work. But with my Roku connected, it is still works.

Most are from 2009. I even have a 26 inch with soundbar in the master bath. It is great.

I'm going to throw out another idea that may be worthless but maybe not. Go on twitter, tag them, and list your complaint. I've had issues with a number of unresponsive companies that took care of the issues quickly after a twitter post. For some reason many companies are very sensitive to this. Good luck!

Follow-up! I sent an e-mail citing the link to the reviews to "management" I got a call that they will replace my old TV with a new one. We are nixing the technical repair guy because I said in my e-mail...what if the guy fixes the TV, we remount and it happens again?

Thus, a new TV. And I said, "Thank You!" Why am I saying thank you when this should have been done from the beginning of this mess? Thank you for what?

Edit: I feel like an idiot for saying thank you.

Follow-up! I sent an e-mail citing the link to the reviews to "management" I got a call that they will replace my old TV with a new one. We are nixing the technical repair guy because I said in my e-mail...what if the guy fixes the TV, we remount and it happens again?

Thus, a new TV. And I said, "Thank You!" Why am I saying thank you when this should have been done from the beginning of this mess? Thank you for what?

As I said, be the squeaky wheel. It worked.

It shouldn't have been this difficult and I totally understand that you saying "Thank You" was probably a habit.

With this experience under your belt you are now equipped for disputes with insurance companies, utility companies, mortgage companies, etc. :D

When will you be getting your new TV?

You said Thank You because you were brought up right. That’s okay.

As I said, be the squeaky wheel. It worked.

It shouldn't have been this difficult and I totally understand that you saying "Thank You" was probably a habit.

With this experience under your belt you are now equipped for disputes with insurance companies, utility companies, mortgage companies, etc. :D

When will you be getting your new TV?

As soon as I bring our old TV to the customer service desk. They will replace it.

Thus, we need someone to help us load the old TV, pick up the new TV and have it installed properly. We have a young strong nephew to do the heavy lifting but want a professional to mount it on the wall and make sure it's working. Another $150 bucks or so. Sigh.

You said Thank You because you were brought up right. That’s okay.

Right. I'd say thank you if someone handed me a rotten fish. And I'd say I'm sorry if someone bumped into me.

You're thanking the person who helped you. Not the screwball system he/she works in.

As soon as I bring our old TV to the customer service desk. They will replace it.

Thus, we need someone to help us load the old TV, pick up the new TV and have it installed properly. We have a young strong nephew to do the heavy lifting but want a professional to mount it on the wall and make sure it's working. Another $150 bucks or so. Sigh.

I bet your nephew can get that mounted just fine. When you get the old one down, you’ll see that the bracket to mount the tv is no big deal. Take a look before you spend the money. I think it is really straight forward.

I bet your nephew can get that mounted just fine. When you get the old one down, you’ll see that the bracket to mount the tv is no big deal. Take a look before you spend the money. I think it is really straight forward.

Thank you:flowers: And this will finally be done. And I hope no one else has an issue like this. I appreciate all the advice and responses. They really helped me through this.

My 42 inch Panasonic plasma TV still works great. I would love to upgrade to a 50 inch High Definition model. Maybe an OLED. But, the thing keeps working and I like the picture.

Same thing here but it's a 50 something inch. Could probably pay for new TV with the energy savings. Still like the picture so will keep rocking it

Final Update: As I previously said, Costco agreed to replace defected TV with a new OLED, the same model.

We brought the old TV back to customer service. They wanted me to do a return (refund) and then purchase the new OLED. At that moment, I asked, you mean I have to get a refund first? Yes.

I said, I just want the refund. I don't want to buy the new OLED. The manager said I'll be right back He left the CS area for about 15 minutes. Came walking back with the big manager and another manager. You agreed to a swap they said. I said I didn't realize I would get a refund first. I really just want a refund. If the new TV has the same issue, I have to go through all this again.

They gave me a refund. We went to Best Buy and got a Sony 65" 2022 model, same price, full installation, and 2 years warranty where Geek Squad will come and fix or replace it with a new one if there are problems. The sales person said we would not have to haul back and forth new and old TVs. They will take care of everything, ship and install and make sure we know how to operate before they leave.

This is to help or assist anyone who is considering buying a TV from Costco. Especially for those who don't have access to a truck, know how to install a big TV on the wall, and who aren't that tech savvy.

You probably know this already, but up until just recently all OLEDs used LG panels. Samsung and Sony have new QD-OLED TVs for 2022.

Last edited:
Interesting thread. Recently I bought a 65" Hisense hdtv, and it died within a few weeks. I contacted Hisense and they actually sent a pair of TV repairmen to my house, and they replaced the power supply. Even took it off the wall and hung it back up. I thought tv repairmen were extinct. I bought the tv on sale, so I didn't pay that much for it. I wonder if it cost Hisense more to send repairmen to my house than the tv cost. I'm very happy with the tv, and the customer service!

Back
Top Bottom