Overlapping Identity, Theft, Account Protections

Pellice

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
Anyone else bewildered by the proliferating numbers of "free" account and identity protections that come with - well, with everything! This post is prompted by a AAA renewal [aside: I had let AAA lapse because of overlapping coverages - and they sent me a free renewed membership for a year], and now they are offering complementary "ID Theft Monitoring" now included with membership.

I have so many of these I haven't kept count. I HAVE ID protection (with IdentiGard), and that includes several other account protections. My home insurance includes ... something, not sure what. My credit cards have them. My bank has it. Others.

I have signed up for some of these, not all. I need to get a handle on these. How do you all handle them? Do I need *another* spreadsheet?

My primary is MyIDCare provided by ID Experts becasue of the OPM breach. I think the free subscription goes for 10 years.

Couldn't find anything on your Identigard.

I'm fine with Identigard. My question was more about all these ancillary "protections" that come with other services - do people sign up for them? And how do they keep track of them? My example was that extra identity and theft protection that now come with AAA membership - but I already HAVE identity and theft protection, from several other service providers. Do members here sign up for everything of this sort that's offered to them?

I don't have any.
Instead I put a freeze on my credit reporting sites (big 3).
It stops the credit theft rather than just reporting to me that it happened.

I also worry that signing up for these monitoring sites, is just another site that will be targeted by hackers as it's so rich with information, actually increasing the risk my info will be stolen.

Back
Top Bottom