Paranormal Experiences?

I'm not as big of a believer in big foot (though obviously there are plenty of non-documented animals wondering around, animals with diseases that make them look strange).

Bigfoot is too large of a creature to stay undetected. One lone Bigfoot in a remote area might be able to fly under the radar, but one Bigfoot can't live forever and can't reproduce. There has to be enough of them to sustain a population which means several males, several females, and several offspring.

I think there will always be believers and skeptics. Both are understandable.

Paranormal means beyond normal so the believers look at things with an open mind that just because we can't observe or explain something doesn't mean the existence is impossible.

Skeptics look at things with a set frame of mind, if things aren't probable or can't be measure, have to discount a paranormal explanation.

I think of something like winning the lottery. The odds are so next to nothing. The skeptic will say of course you can't win the lottery. But say there was no mojo involved to the believer who bought a ticket and won.

A maybe experience I had was when a family member of a friend died. The night before the funeral, I sort of jokingly said something like "Just watch, as a sign the lights will go flickering on and off". Now the lights at her place maybe flickered on and off just one other time before.

So, of course, that night, the light does flicker on and off. But also there was a storm outside. Pure coincidence? Other storms in the past. No flickering. On the day of the funeral, some of her family members who lived a few towns away was saying how their lights flickered also.

The rational person in me says that's just coincidence. But like the lotto winner, was that situation that someone has to win or something else in play?

Paranormal means beyond normal so the believers look at things with an open mind that just because we can't observe or explain something doesn't mean the existence is impossible.

I'm in no way religious, but didn't Matthew say "...seek, and you shall find"?

(Or should that have been "and you shall think you've found"?)

Last edited:
I think there will always be believers and skeptics. Both are understandable.

Skeptics look at things with a set frame of mind, if things aren't probable or can't be measure, have to discount a paranormal explanation.

I think of something like winning the lottery. The odds are so next to nothing. The skeptic will say of course you can't win the lottery. But say there was no mojo involved to the believer who bought a ticket and won.

Comparing to a lottery is a very poor example...the odds of any one particular person winning are extremely low. But someone always wins, therefore, lotteries have been proven to exist beyond any shadow of a doubt.

On the other hand, not one single claim of paranormal has ever been proven....even with $1 million dollars on the line, no one can prove it.

Comparing to a lottery is a very poor example...the odds of any one particular person winning are extremely low. But someone always wins, therefore, lotteries have been proven to exist beyond any shadow of a doubt.

On the other hand, not one single claim of paranormal has ever been proven....even with $1 million dollars on the line, no one can prove it.

In the lotto example. My point was tell the lotto winner that there wasn't something more going on than just a mathematical statistic. My point wasn't on whether lotteries exist or not.

There's always going to be non-believers and believers. No matter how much or how little proof.

Other than that, I'm going to keep my mouth shut :-X because you all probably think I'm crazy enough already! :D

Same here, I should keep my stories to myself, but this one is pretty intense....

Years ago my wife and I would regularly scoop my mom from her retirement apartment for the weekend and bring her to our very large home where she had "her room" in another wing of the house. My dad had passed years prior.

One night I remember vividly, we had all gone to bed and I was sleeping deeply. Suddenly, my chest puffed out and I felt like I was being lifted from the bed and filled with air. I then unconsciously heard myself saying out loud "Leona, I love you, I have always loved you". My wife was obviously woken up. I felt the extreme sense of my dad speaking through me. Very loudly, as if trying to get the message down the hall to my mom.

Never have I spoken out in my sleep, nor ever since. I sensed he was moving on......:confused:

I'm certain there are no ghosts, haunted houses, or visits from extraterrestrials. I think it was Carl Sagan who pointed out, in discussing UFO believers, that they are very good at transferring the proof requirement to someone else: "I saw a UFO, they were visitors from another planet!" Responder: "How do you know?" The response: "Well, if it wasn't aliens, tell me what it was."
And as James Randi at least once pointed out, supposed fortune tellers never predicted 9/11, stock market crashes, or any other calamity.

Not sure why anyone would need "proof" to post of their experience(s) on this thread. It's different if the exchange of money is somehow involved.

they are very good at transferring the proof requirement to someone else: "I saw a UFO, they were visitors from another planet!" Responder: "How do you know?" The response: "Well, if it wasn't aliens, tell me what it was."

People are very, very seldom convinced by evidence, or in this case lack of evidence.

I'm sure everyone is familiar with the classic story of the woman who stood up in the audience when some famous astronomer was lecturing about the solar system and told him he was completely wrong.

She: "The earth is flat, and rests on the back of a giant turtle."
He: "Ah, but what supports the turtle?"
She: "Another even bigger turtle."
He: "And then ...?"
She: "Oh, no, you can't get out of it that way; it's turtles all the way down."

People are very, very seldom convinced by evidence, or in this case lack of evidence.

I'm sure everyone is familiar with the classic story of the woman who stood up in the audience when some famous astronomer was lecturing about the solar system and told him he was completely wrong.

She: "The earth is flat, and rests on the back of a giant turtle."
He: "Ah, but what supports the turtle?"
She: "Another even bigger turtle."
He: "And then ...?"
She: "Oh, no, you can't get out of it that way; it's turtles all the way down."

That's because you cannot reason people out of something they were not reasoned into.

I can't cope with normal, let alone paranormal.

Well, I believe in unseen beings. I believe they are all around us. I even believe there are lots of them living inside of me. They are mostly are being helpful to me, but some are evil.

Of course, I am talking about bacteria in general, and my gut biome in particular! :) I couldn't live without them. 40 trillion of them can't all be wrong!

Ever since I was a kid in high school I have been interested in things like UFOs, Bigfoot, ghosts, etc. yet I can honestly say I have never had any type of paranormal experience (with the possible exception of a beloved aunt coming to me in a dream). As a kid in college, I met quite a few UFO abductees and to be honest, i would not trust them to get coffee. Although one man in a famous Arizona case in the 1970's certainly seemed believalbe. Anyway, has anyone had any type of paranormal ecpereince they would like to share? I want to believe.....

As an avid amateur astronomer, I believe there is intelligent life in this universe and in our galaxy but it's unlikely they visited earth. Consider the vast distances between star systems. How would they get here? Even if some advanced species were able to travel the speed of light, it still would not be fast enough. People hallucinate for many reasons and it may explain these stories told by so called abductees.

I can't say that I believe in ghosts, but I don't discount anyone that has had any kind of paranormal experience. I know a few people that have some very interesting experiences and do enjoy hearing them.

I find this topic of conversation to be very enjoyable around a campfire. Especially in a remote location...

Question is, if there are aliens 'out there', do they believe in us?

Regarding those who believe it is impossible for extraterrestrials to travel the vast distances between the stars to reach Earth, I will offer a quote from an article that a New York City professor of theoretical physics expressed to ABC news. But first I want to make it clear I do not have any idea if aliens ever visited Earth. I simply do not know what's out there in the vastness of space, and so far as I know neither does anyone else, I am only quoting what Michio Kaku said.

Michio Kaku, in an article for ABC News titled " If Aliens can visit Earth, how did they get here?" says "The fundamental mistake people make when thinking about extraterrestrial intelligence is to assume that they're just like us except for a few hundred years more advanced. I say open your mind, open your consciousness to the possibility that they are a million years ahead."

Last edited:
Michio Kaku, in an article for ABC News titled " If Aliens can visit Earth, how did they get here?" says "The fundamental mistake people make when thinking about extraterrestrial intelligence is to assume that they're just like us except for a few hundred years more advanced. I say open your mind, open your consciousness to the possibility that they are a million years ahead."

True --- always keep an open mind.

Some aliens are inter-dimensional beings, so they don't vibrate on the same gross energy-level as our physical world. Humans cannot hear ultrasonic sound, and cannot see infra-red light, and these beings could exist in another dimension.

Humans are limited to the three-dimensional reality in terms of traveling space and time. Aliens can exist in four-dimensional reality and use wormholes to travel beyond the time-space limits of the third-dimension.

Last edited:
True --- always keep an open mind.

Some aliens are inter-dimensional beings, so they don't vibrant on the same gross energy-level as our physical world. Humans cannot hear ultrasonic sound, and cannot see infra-red light, and these beings could exist in another dimension.

Humans are limited to the three-dimensional reality in terms of traveling space and time. Aliens can exist in four-dimensional reality and use wormholes to travel beyond the time-space limits of the third-dimension.

I am honestly asking: Was your post meant to be satire, or was it meant to be taken at face value?

Regarding those who believe it is impossible for extraterrestrials to travel the vast distances between the stars to reach Earth, ..."

One can never say never in a case like this. IIRC, Carl Sagan pointed out that while some extraterrestrial intelligent life form may exist, and be able to communicate with us, what are the odds that their communication ability is in sync with our ability to receive it?

We've only had radio communication for ~ 100 years, out of 3.5 billion years of life on Earth. Odds are, either we die off, or they do. It would be unexpected for our technology paths to cross at the same instant in time.

-ERD50

Last edited:
One can never say never in a case like this. IIRC, Carl Sagan pointed out that while some extraterrestrial intelligent life form may exist, and be able to communicate with us, what are the odds that their communication ability is in sync with our ability to receive it?

We've only had radio communication for ~ 100 years, out of 3.5 billion years of life on Earth. Odds are, either we die off, or they do. It would be unexpected for our technology paths to cross at the same instant in time.

-ERD50

To me, one of the biggest challenges in all this is to try and imagine what advances on Earth there will be in a hundred years. It's very hard to try and guess something like that isn't it? Now try to imagine 500, 1000, or 100,000 years into the future what life will be like.

We do not have any idea. Now to extend that out to a million years into the future is just not measurable. So I have to keep an open mind. Even if something is hard to believe, that doesn't mean it isn't possible. That doesn't mean it's probable, just that it's possible.

Last edited:
... Even if something is hard to believe, that doesn't mean it isn't possible. That doesn't mean it's probable, just that it's possible.

I'm not saying extraterrestrial life is impossible, not at all.

I think what Carl Sagan was pointing out is that it could have existed and died out before we developed our technology. Or after. Just because we didn;t detect it in the last few years doesn't mean it wasn't out there, or that it might not be in the future.

Heck, maybe they don't want us to know they are out there, and are smart enough to avoid detection.

I don't put extraterrestrial in the same category as paranormal.

-ERD50

Back
Top Bottom