Part D. More than 1 Pharmacy

wolf

Full time employment: Posting here.
Simple question:

Part D. WellCare.

Can I use 2 different pharmacies to fill my drugs. ie. Safeway and Costco.

Costco has the better price for Jardiance.

Safeway sightly cheaper for the rest.

Will, WellCare insurance get confused?

Thanks. :flowers:

Simple question:

Part D. WellCare.

Can I use 2 different pharmacies to fill my drugs. ie. Safeway and Costco.

Costco has the better price for Jardiance.

Safeway sightly cheaper for the rest.

Will, WellCare insurance get confused?

Thanks. :flowers:

Yes, you can use whatever pharmacy that gives a better price. The Pharmacy checks with your insurance carrier first for their price. Just make sure your Dr. sends the Rx there.

Last edited:
DW has been comparing prices with Costco for my Welcare Rx's and usually buying them at Costco. No problems from Welcare.

Had to buy a liquid steroid to treat a rash on my scalp last week.

Under Part D - $73.25

GoodRx - $28.00

Pharmacy's own discount price (I ask) - $25.50 (H.E.B. (Texas))

Go figure.....:blush:

I was talking to my PCP about drug prices a few weeks ago and said that I'd determined that I had two roles in the health care system: "patient" and "victim." He thought that was pretty funny.

Yup….I have 5 prescriptions spread across 3 pharmacies.

My 3 main generic ones with Caremark

One with Costco….no insurance used. Cost is $20 vs $130 with insurance at CVS/Caremark

One was with Costco. Price was $30 (no insurance) vs $430 at CVS/Costco. Upon refill, they called because they lost their supplier and price was now $130. Switch that script to Walmart with GoodRX for $30.

It’s absolutely ridiculous…..people shouldn’t have to jump through these hoops and when I think of the people without the mental fortitude to do so….I get terribly annoyed.

Yup….I have 5 prescriptions spread across 3 pharmacies.

My 3 main generic ones with Caremark

One with Costco….no insurance used. Cost is $20 vs $130 with insurance at CVS/Caremark

One was with Costco. Price was $30 (no insurance) vs $430 at CVS/Costco. Upon refill, they called because they lost their supplier and price was now $130. Switch that script to Walmart with GoodRX for $30.

It’s absolutely ridiculous…..people shouldn’t have to jump through these hoops and when I think of the people without the mental fortitude to do so….I get terribly annoyed.

How do you micromanage where they go? Do you get written prescriptions? doctors always seem to want to just call them in to the pharmacy.

Thanks so much for useful replies.

How do you micromanage where they go? Do you get written prescriptions? doctors always seem to want to just call them in to the pharmacy.

What my DW used to do was call the doc's office and have the script sent to the new pharmacy. It was common practice with her dozen or so drugs.

The doctor originally called them into CVS/Caremark and then I transferred them online to Costco (and then Walmart) once I saw the costs.

The ones at Costco and Walmart are from the same doctor and only need 1 refill (if that) for the year, so it’s easy to remember.

When you go to medicare.gov and pick part D plans, they most/all have preferred pharmacies (lowest prices) but you can go to any and just pay more.

You can select 5 different pharmacies when comparing plans, so you pick the ones you like and then see which plans offer the best deals for your drugs.

For a new drug (rare for me) I'd have the doc give me a paper prescription so I could take it around and shop for the best price.

I was talking to my PCP about drug prices a few weeks ago and said that I'd determined that I had two roles in the health care system: "patient" and "victim." He thought that was pretty funny.

It is pretty funny

Just checked DW's plan for next year. Makes sense to stay on the same plan (Cigna Saver RX), but she saves even more by going to CVS (local) for one script, even though they are not a preferred pharmacy. The other 2 will be cheapest with mail order.

The doctor originally called them into CVS/Caremark and then I transferred them online to Costco (and then Walmart) once I saw the costs.

Is this through the doctor’s website and not Costco’s or Walmart’s?

Thanks

When you go to medicare.gov and pick part D plans, they most/all have preferred pharmacies (lowest prices) but you can go to any and just pay more.

You can select 5 different pharmacies when comparing plans, so you pick the ones you like and then see which plans offer the best deals for your drugs.

For a new drug (rare for me) I'd have the doc give me a paper prescription so I could take it around and shop for the best price.

But what some people are finding is, it's cheaper to go OUTSIDE all of the pharmacies that are the insured preferred.

Makes me wonder what we pay insurance for (yes, I know, they'll cover the more expensive drugs, but why should I be able to get anything cheaper outside of the insurance?).

-ERD50

But what some people are finding is, it's cheaper to go OUTSIDE all of the pharmacies that are the insured preferred.

Makes me wonder what we pay insurance for (yes, I know, they'll cover the more expensive drugs, but why should I be able to get anything cheaper outside of the insurance?).

-ERD50

I agree, it's a totally whacked system.
I still check with goodrx if anything is needed.

Back
Top Bottom