PC Clock Wrong

TromboneAl

Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...
Every time I synchronize my computer's clock with the Internet time it ends up being off by one hour (e.g. shows 10 AM instead of 11 AM).

We're past any government-related confusion concerning the start of daylight savings time (that is, it is definitely daylight savings time, and the computer should know that).

Whether or not I tell it to correct for daylight savings time it is off by the same amount.

I have set the time zone correctly.

There was a fix for DST published a while back. Have you two been installing all of the patches from Microsoft?

2007 time zone update for Windows XP and Windows Server 2003

Also, I suppose it could be related to your CMOS time. You might check the time stored in your BIOS settings and verify that your CMOS battery is good. But that should only be a problem at boot time, not after syncing with a time server.

The good news is that if you don't have the DST patch, it should correct soon (this weekend?). However, you'll face the same problem in reverse for a week in November.

Have you two been installing all of the patches from Microsoft?

I run hot and cold on this. I've been burned a few times in the past when installing an update either caused an older app not to work right, or caused the entire system to crash.

I'm running through it now. First have to install a new update for the updater, then 6 updates for components for the updater...

I'm pretty sure I already installed the DST update, but I guess I'll just download all the critical and optional updates and see if it fixes things...

Forgive me if I’m wrong but I thought it has been established that we retirees don’t need to know what time it is.

Installed 41 updates and that solved it, thanks. Oh look, it's nap time!

Great -- so you fixed one problem and introduced 40 new ones. ;)

Forgive me if I’m wrong but I thought it has been established that we retirees don’t need to know what time it is.

"Does anybody really know what time it is

Does anybody really care

If so I can't imagine why"

--- Lyrics by the band "Chicago" ---

music-smiley-011.gif

I dunno. Years ago I heard that problems with a systems clock may signify a much greater computer problem. Have you run a software and hardware diagnostics recently?

I'm frequently unsure of what day of the week it is. Time an hour or two here or there...meh.

I was figuring that Al would be telling us he was running Windows 95 on his computer. Back when that was released I think there were only 3 time zones.

Back
Top Bottom